Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice on becoming a Pipeline Welder?
- - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-17-2013 02:16
Hello all, My name is Zach, I'm an Air Force trained machinist/welder with about 4 years experience. I am enrolling in a 13 month Applied Welding Technologies course in Aug. When i graduate i will have my AWS Cert. My ultimate goal is to become a CWI. I want to go work the Pipeline for a while, that is my first goal. Any advice on the steps i need to take to get there will be greatly appreciated. Im willing to do whatever it takes.. moving, becoming your helper, working with someone for OJT etc. I'm living in the Tampa Bay FL area now.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-17-2013 12:49
First tidbit of advise......Move out of Florida and get near the work !!
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-17-2013 18:31
Where might you suggest? I have to stay here for 13 months. After I want to try and land a job before I just up and move
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 06-20-2013 02:31
i agree move to where the work is.  second decide what you want to do, weld, fab, or inspector.  if welding start off as a helper where ever there is a pipe welding atmosphere.  there you can get a feel of where it starts and some exsperience.  its hot, it burns, and you have to go to the work, work isnt coming to you.  take your time and take all the advice somebody has to offer.  never assume you already done it and know how.  you have to have patience and when your ready to break out, you will know.  i never went to classes to learn how to weld.  i always asked questions and watched what the other welders did and didnt do.  there is plenty of work going on right now, so you couldnt go wrong with inspecting or welding.  metal will never disaper and a welder will always be needed.  if there is welding there will be quality control.  i have been welding for 7 years now, rigged out for 3.  i started as a helper in the shop, then tacking, then welding, after a year of seeing the same walls day in and day out it was time for me to roll out on my own.  i like what i do.  i dont always like the money, but my son has to eat.  if you want to do it just for the money, then get into inspecting.  inspectors make damn good money and mostly pushes a pen.  i like pushing medal.  pipeline isnt for everbody eathier(you just need to be related or have a good buddy thats related) to get on now days. pipeliners travel 98% of the time.  are you close to your family? wife? kids?  i thought i was ready before i had my son.  after he came its hard  for me to wanna work overtime.  my wife said she wants to travel after this year so we will see what happens.  my advise is decide what you want to do and take that road.  move where all the work is and get ya a taste of the cool morning smell of 6010 at 6am and go from there.  starting out is going to be ruff, hard, angry, and miserable, but if you can get through all that, you wont have to worry about s# it!
Parent - - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-21-2013 02:13
Thats some great advice buddy. Thank you very much for responding! I'm want to run pipeline for a while and will have my AWS cert in 13 month for welding pipe in 6G. From there I will try my damndest to get on with someone as a welders helper.
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 06-21-2013 18:00
certs are always helpful(sometimes) and they will not hurt you anyway to have them.  All of the jobs that i have gotten they make you take their test reguardless.  some outfits will have you test for each pipeline job they get.  that will only make u better.  if i could do it all over again i would have started as a helper on the pipeline.  put it in your mind thats your going to do and dont let anybody tell u diffrent
Parent - - By F-17 (**) Date 06-17-2013 15:15
UA  "VIP" program,veterans in piping. I beleive it's a 16 week course and then on to the job.
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-17-2013 15:26
There is the VIP and also a "helmets to hardhats" program the UA does where you cant start as a second year apprentence
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-17-2013 18:33
I just looked up the VIP program... Sounds interesting. From what you said, do they help find you a job? How would this pair with the course I'm about to take now
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-20-2013 16:40
Contact UA Local 798 in Tulsa, OK. They may have a program that offers a leg up for vets. If you can't already weld then they will not teach you. You may hire in as a helper for several years and learn to weld along the way but you will have to suffer through several years of that but helpers make good money too and if you are a good one you can just about work about all the time you want to. Just be advised, there is a boom on right now and the bubble will bust one of these days. You could be on the dispatch list for months at a time or even a year or more. it's best to have a back up plan. Live in an area where there is a lot of welding and fabricating shops around. There is always work in the oil patch for a good welder.

Good Luck and thanks for serving our country.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-21-2013 00:14 Edited 06-21-2013 00:17
The National Pipeline school just behind the 798 hall in Tulsa has taught an awfull lot of kids to weld line pipe. That's why all those instructors are on full time staff and they just built a new school.
So really they WILL teach you to weld with a few prerequisites.
Previous main line construction experience is required, as it should be.
The Helmets to Hardhats program is in effect in all of the UA, including 798.

As everbody usually says, start out as a welders helper. It's the smart way.

The work isn't for everybody, it's not even for most. But people who love it, love it. It pays well, you get to travel, you get to enjoy the great outdoors.

J
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-21-2013 02:14
Hey great information guys and thanks for responding. Do happen to know how long this school is? Thanks again.
- - By Dark_Angel (*) Date 06-17-2013 23:42
If your wondering if its something you should persue, well my input is go for it. Its the best decision I've ever made!
Parent - - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-18-2013 00:09
Haha, thats what i need to hear! People that enjoy it. lol How did you get your first pipeline job? What type of work did you have to put in to make it?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-22-2013 15:48
Coming from the military you may think you understand the term "travel". There is a old pipeline saying a pipeliner aint got no home. You may be on a job 4 weeks and travel across the country for another job for 3 weeks. Then you are laid off for 4 weeks then travel 1500 miles to test for another company and bust the test. You are on the phone on trying to get a test somewhere.
Rig up cost for a pipeline capable rig is $40K on the low end and $125K on the high end. You have to have a dependable vehicle capable of standing up the rigors of pipelineing. Being drug down a ROW with a D6 and not come apart. You are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep on your equipment and tools.
Breaking in is a matter of paying your dues and building a network of contractors and friends that keep you up to date with what is going on, where , and who is in charge. To many this is a matter of knowing who is in charge and being friends or know them.
Well DUH!
That is any business. If you have to be carried it does not matter who you are working for, you are not going to get called. You have to make friends and have them help you get on jobs. And when it is your chance to help them out, your reciprocate.
Pipelineing is a interesting business. But the welding side is a young man's game. If you are in your late 30's or early 40's you do not have much time as you get older you start loosing your eye hand coordination. And your knees and back start going out. As a welder, the up and down and rigors of getting up and down the ROW will affect you. Hopefully by that time, you can land work doing the structural or compressor stations.
It is a hard physical job!
If you enter it, good luck. If you are married, your wife better have a really good sense of humor. Being gone for long periods of time, odd locations and opportunity for infidelity tends to have the better half loose that sense of humor.
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-22-2013 19:33
Thanks for the comment and insight. Im fairly young. I just turned 28 i'm single and do want to travel. Ill be honest i am a little nervous about landing that first job. But i understand that you must start somewhere and im willing to start as a helper and do whatever i can to help whoever i can at any time.
- - By Dark_Angel (*) Date 06-19-2013 23:33
I first started out chasing drilling tis around welding on them right after college. Then got a pipe fab job in a shop and one of the welders was a pipeliner and he hooked me up with a job pipelining. Best advise is keep your head down, ass up and when the guys that have been doing this for awhile and obviously know what the hell is going on. Close your mouth and open your eyes and ears.
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 06-21-2013 02:16
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not the cocky type. I'm excited for the information that is to be learned from these guys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advice on becoming a Pipeline Welder?