Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AND THIS IS WHY...
- - By Superflux (****) Date 06-25-2013 15:24 Edited 06-25-2013 15:35
We rule the welding world.
These fotos are from a weld I took today on the Russian Pipeline featured in the James Bond movie "The World is not Enough" where he gets shot thru a pipeline in a pig into Russia.
These were made in the late 60s, early 70s? Documentation as you might expect is a bit sketchy. They double jointed 30' footers (10 meter joints) and this a field weld. Chemistry and mechanical tests have no continuity. We are dealing with unknown material on every inch (millimeter) of pipe and have a "Fits All" procedure on the welds to the live line... Those are the days I get a bit jumpy and got my "frog legs ready".
It is obviously made in the ditch and in a down hill progression. Oh yeah, and this is why I have a job... we are jacketing/sleeving the pipe and then hot tapping to equalize pressure on the sleeving. Fun stuff... and uglier than Whoopie Goldberg without make-up!
Attachment: RussianPipeweld-1.JPG (134k)
Attachment: RussianPipeweld-2.JPG (121k)
Attachment: RussianPipeweld-3.jpg (125k)
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-25-2013 19:07
Da, da, but deed not leek, no?  Is good weld, da?  Wat next?

SF- You never had any experience at the Kubaka Gold Mine in 96 did you?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-25-2013 23:36
Are you sure that's a Russian pipeline? I swear I saw welds that looked just like that on a tower I added structure to a few months ago.
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 06-26-2013 01:50
i blame de fetter!  too mucha hi low.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-26-2013 12:52
DEE-LISH!!!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-27-2013 04:09
Yes, eet ees beeg and stdrong like Russian bear.

Several hundred miles of these lines have been replace due to failed welds, delaminated pipe, corrosion, etc. These last few remaining sections are being sleeved to hold together until the replacement by passes can be made in a year or two.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-27-2013 14:26
SF-

Has any XRay NDT been done to these welds?  I ask to find out if an abasence of a root pass has been discovered.  I had the opportunity to work in Russia in 1996 completing the glycol heating system for a large gold mine.  The heat source was the exhaust manifolds for the many large diesel generators that powered the mine.  This was in Eastern Siberia so as you can imagine, heat was something of a concern.  We discovered, among many other surprises, the concept of a root pass in a pipe weld was not a procedural understanding shared by the native welders who had already built most of the many thousands of feet of the heating system.  They experienced the demonstration of a root pass with the same awe I remember seeing it done by a pipe welder on an offshore platform many years earlier as a helper ie. "You mean you weld the inside of the pipe from the outside?  Whoa. Cool".  Of the 60 or so native welders onsite there were 2 as I recall that bothered to practice and attain any semblance of a rootpass.  Not knocking anybody, under their system there was but a single distinction which was trade wide.  Welders, whatever they were working on, were "steel workers" and no further specialization was ever considered neccessary.  It always made me wonder about their oilfield especially after reading it leaked the same amount of product every year as the Exxon Valdez.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 07-01-2013 20:50
Guess what? I have worked on some rehab projects here in the good old USA and have seen just as bad and even worse in some cases. Mostly stuff put in prior to 1965. It seems that prior to that welding had began to improve but gas and oil companies began to realize that these lines could last a long time. The oldest rehab job I was ever on was a line that was put in in 1942 as a war efforts gas line supplying gas to some factories building various pieces of equipment for WW-II. As poor as the welds were, as poorly as the line was installed, and how the pipe and attachments were made, the line had never had a failure. It did leak a few times but nothing catastrophic. I have seen 24" pipe welds with 100% hi-lo in the line up operating at 850 PSIG, arc strikes all over the pipe and even the welder's initials welded on the surface of the pipe. I've seen them only half finished and some with only a root bead and hot pass in them operating at high pressures.

Most of these pipeline welds operate well with some tremendous defects in them. The stand hoop stress very well but longitudinal stresses, cyclic loading, and stress caused from 3rd party damage are tough obstacles to overcome.

You probably drive over some of these welds in the buried pipelines everyday. Strength is relative. Poor welds are probably stronger than the material they join together. But I, just as you, realize there are limits.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-01-2013 22:59
I have also seen much worse while under service conditions. (Here in the USA!) Tried to post a couple of pix, but they would not upload tonight for some reason.
It is amazing "what works" in the real world.
But that's why we have lawyers, law suits, and I have a job....
It is not so much the welds on this gig that concerns me, but the unknown quantity that is the chemical make up of the pipe. Some of it is near cast iron chemistry! Plus! There is no analysis of the material that we are welding on day to day. For all I know, it could be recycled "turd tube". Only thing I have is the thickness readings from UT scans.
I have been in a catastrophic industrial failure where friends died and others were were fried. I make my living now so that others can hopefully not experience this on any project that I am affiliated with.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-02-2013 23:40
Eeee chee wow looks like some of the taco irrigation pipe welding have seen down here before ! :wink:  It leaks & blows out too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AND THIS IS WHY...