Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Surface Prep of Base Metal Color
- - By eekpod (****) Date 06-28-2013 10:43
Guys,
General discussion if you will.
In order to paint most of our parts they are required to be abrasive blasted (grit) to either SP-6 or SP-10 commercial blast or near white metal.

Sometimes we have to pre-blast the material, then weld it together and go back and touch up the welded areas.
Of course when the material gets welded it changes color to a blueish hue.  The material still has the blasted profile on it and I can confirm this with my Testex tape and micrometer.

Question though, if the SSPC requires "near white" for SP-10 and the material changed color from heating, does it still meet SP-10 since it's not white but I still have the profile?

What's going on with the base metal when it changes color, why does it change color, and if I re-blast it why does it turn white again on the surface?

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-28-2013 11:29
eekpod,
I believe the best way to understand this requirement is to understand that the objective is to clean or prepare (such as roughning) the surface for coatings application. As defined in NACE SP-10 "A near-white metal blast cleaned surface, when viewed without magnification, shall be free of all visible oil, grease, dust, dirt, mill scale, rust, coating, oxides, corrosion products, and other foreign matter, except for staining as noted in Section 2.2. 2.3 of SP-10 gives acceptable variations in appearance that do not affect surface cleanliness, and without going into all of them, the following are some of them, weld metal, heat treating, heat affective zones.

So with that being said, I believe the answer is yes, color change from heating after a SP-10 blast still meets the intent of SP-10.

Hope that helps
Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2013 13:33 Edited 06-28-2013 13:37
If the intent is to remove surface contamination, including oxides, I would be forced to say leaving the "color" intact would be a violation of the requirement.

The colors observed are simple oxides, sometimes referred to as temper colors. The hot metal surface oxidize when exposed to air or should I say exposed to the oxygen contained in air. The temper colors change as the temperature of the base metal changes. At roughly 400 degrees F the color of the oxide film is light straw. As the temperature increases the colors are dark straw (500 degrees), brown, purple blue, and finally black oxide when the base metal is at roughly 800 degrees and exposed to air.

The oxide is a film. Like any film, it can affect the adhesion of the paint to the metal's surface.

Jim says the discoloration is acceptable. Since he has quoted the standard I have to say the standard appears to accept the temper colors, but you and your customer should review the specific text and draw your own conclusions. You could also contact the paint manufacturer and ask them for their recommendations.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 07-01-2013 15:56
thanks guys for the input, I need to meet whatever my customer requires.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Surface Prep of Base Metal Color