Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where does everyone buy their Welding Supplies????
- - By Zwalker (*) Date 07-01-2013 22:36
Hello all, I am about to buy a bunch of welding supplies for the school i'm about to attend. I'm just curious where all of you get your supplies? Do you stay local in your community or order online? Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-01-2013 23:08
Give us some specifics on what you are going to purchase.
Details will follow.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the welding arts.
Parent - By Zwalker (*) Date 07-02-2013 01:10
Superflux, right now it is just basic welding supplies, i.e. welding hoods, gloves, jacket, slag hammers, wire brushes, ARC electrodes, TIG supplies etc.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-02-2013 00:20
I buy 95% of my stuff local at my local welding supply. I get to know the guys, they get to know me.
Parent - By ron.chapman (*) Date 07-02-2013 01:51
Cumminsguy71 is right stay local and once they see you coming in on the regular they will start helping you out. The guys at my shop on town give me a discount now and sometimes even throw stuff my way. I'm all for supporting a local shop. Always remember welding is a business and if you can find something cheaper then by all means. A lot of times the shop will match it just to keep your business. Good luck!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-02-2013 02:16
Even for going to school, stay local.  Open an actual account with your local welding supply.  It usually knocks a fair amount off the shelf price.  Since I have a shop it really knocks a chunk off the shelf price, but that is because of my volume and payment history for the past 17 years. 

Many of them will even give you a student discount, and they will put it on your account info so the computer automatically calculates it when they scan the codes in.  I use one of the bigger names in distributors and my price is the same rather I am home or across the country on a job. 

Staying local keeps the guys in business who are going to be there for you when you need repairs, emergency supplies, equipment replacement when one breaks down in the middle of a big job, etc.  Ever try to get an online supplier to repair your cheap buy machine?  Get a loaner from them while they fix yours? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 07-02-2013 02:35
I agree with brent start an account with that welding store and do it as a pay cash only kinda account so you don't get behind. The more you buy from them you will get better deals, if you at like an a** they will jack the price up more on you, I have seen that happen with that welding store i worked for.

My gas i will buy from the local people and for the most part I will buy a lot but there are a lot of things that just can't be beat buying online until they tax it all then it maybe all locally. I realize now the place I work for had good prices but IWS or Industrial welding supply like we have here in Louisiana and Airgas has better prices then the welding store i worked at. Price shop around I have done that to, i can't help it I'm cheap I want the cheapest price.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where does everyone buy their Welding Supplies????