Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Soccer match beheading??????
- - By 99205 (***) Date 07-06-2013 04:00 Edited 07-06-2013 04:07
OK, just read this article from Brazil.  The world says American Football is barbaric, give me a friggin break.

An amateur soccer match turned outright barbaric, leading to the deaths of a match referee and player in northeastern Brazil.

According to multiple reports from Maranhão, match referee Octavio da Silva Catanhede Jordan allegedly stabbed Josenir dos Santos Abreu to death after an argument with the player during a game on June 30.

The 20-year-old referee reportedly had a knife with him at the match and attacked Santos Abreu. The 31-year-old footballer was pronounced dead on arrival by a local hospital.

What subsequently happened was more appalling.

After witnessing the horrific attack, family and friends of the player reportedly invaded the pitch to lynch the referee, who was gruesomely quartered and decapitated by the mob, which later hung his head on a stake.

In an official statement, Valter Costa, police chief of Santa Ines in Maranhão, confirmed the ongoing investigation and assured the public that suspects were being questioned.

Article came from MSN - Fox Soccer page

“Reports of witnesses have indicated some people that were in place at the time of the fact. We will identify and hold accountable all those involved. A crime will never justify another. Actions like this do not collaborate with the legality of a state law.”
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-06-2013 14:10
Haha!! Well then! Guess they are going to have a tough time finding ref's for any future games!
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-13-2013 01:28
I saw pics of the ref's body.  Looked like something out of a drug cartel.  No fair weather fans in Brazil obviously.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-13-2013 17:11
Those accounts sure do show such a lenient level of outrage from the officials connected to this case...
Oh! And what does the "pitch" mean in this part of the sentence???

"family and friends of the player reportedly invaded the pitch to lynch the referee,"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-13-2013 19:38
'Pitch' is the playing area.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-13-2013 22:57
I love soccer but obviously not nearly enough to pull a move like that.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-13-2013 23:01
During the last World Cup I watched a documentary on Pablo Escobar big boy in the Medellin Cartel in Colombia.  This guy would put millions on games.  If the ref would make a bad call then he could easily visited by Pablo's associates.  It said that he had a pitch built on his ranch and him and his partners would fly in top players from all over the world secretly.   Like a real life fantasy league paid for with drug money.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Soccer match beheading??????