Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More Bridge Pictures
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 10:38 Edited 07-10-2013 10:56
Just been out on this bridge and got a bag for my harness to carry my phone in so when I get a chance I snap some shots of what we have going on and other mindless things. This job is crazy! The prints bounced between the detailer and the engineer for months. Once I got out on this and started putting up steel I am finding all sorts of little things. Mismarked items from the main drawing to the detailed drawing. Item says it is a 3m13 on your overall view but is a different number in the detailed drawing. Our long WT's are NASA perfect, in measurements. We were given slots to allow for adjustment. They have the WT's so perfectly sized you barely have room to get it in. A little tapping with a hammer on a few of them, or standing on them and jumping!

This sure is a good learning experience though. Getting to see first hand the whole project from engineer to completion and all of the things that happen in between. Engineer engineer's it, detailer draws it out but you still need a competent person on the ground to figure out all the things they missed or were miss labeled! Hahaha!!

The second to last picture is me in my nap area. I didn't want to sit on the concrete again for lunch and the wind was blowing good out near the pier. So I walked out and tied off with my positioning lanyard and safety. I laid on the diagonal truss, propped my knees against the main bean and turned on my music. Slept really good til the phone rang! Thanks for ruining my nap Tommy!! LOL!!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-10-2013 11:23
Hey Shawn,
You're quickly becoming the "go to" guy of lanyard world!
Did you have any input during the design stages?
Tyrone
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2013 16:53
Hey I was helping you out waking you up.  You could have been doing something more important like fishing!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 23:22 Edited 07-10-2013 23:51
Yeah, actually these are prototypes that I am putting thru the ringer. Well, I say prototypes. The rope, rebar hook and rope grab(blue) is all engineered by a company for me to test. I cannot say anything about the rope at this time but I think they will be getting this out there before long. I have, in the words of a friend "Frankensteined" the rest of it. The red is a Pezl I.D. Descender with work, belay options so I can hook off and lower myself below the girders on a bridge for example. The little gold piece in the left is a Petzl Micro pulley. Rated for 2.5kn on the lift and 23kn dead hang. Also used when you have to lower yourself below the bridge, so you can get yourself back up, like an elevator. The way I have this tied off is not really how this is supposed to be used, it's not that type of lanyard as it has no cover, but I'm testing the durability of it!

A guy was checking out my harness today and said, "where do you find all of this stuff?". Gave him the short answer. The guy I'm working with on this is great and the company kicks butt. Once they start rolling this stuff out I'll expand more on it here so everybody can check it out.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 07-10-2013 18:13
aww man what a perfect spot to fish
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 23:47
Not yet. The river was up 10-12 feet easily that day. About a week ago it was perfect. Can't tell you how many times we talked about dropping a line with some stink bait and seeing if we couldn't land lunch in the form of a catfish!

We still have a few weeks out there so, we still might grab some fresh lunch!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2013 23:50
if the water is high and fast fish low near the bank.   Gotta grill on ur truck Shawn?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 23:53
This water is trucking! The wouldn't let people on the river. I think they had a dam upstream and one downstream open. You fall in this and we'll pick you up a few miles down the road. :grin:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-11-2013 00:09
more pictures, insulation day, yuck!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-11-2013 00:31
hey at least your a go to guy that can handle it all.....that is way more then I can say for most I meet.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 01:32
We got 1/4 of the bridge completely done today. Moved on to the other side where me and another guy swung from the trusses while another guy and my helper hoisted the wt's on the lift then the one guy brought it up to us where us loony's pinned them and bolted them. Won't even begin to tell you how we maneuvered to the next section while the lift was down below picking up another wt! We hang one more wt in the morning and start on the second section with the insulation. Almost broke the rope out to tie off to the truss so I could rappel down for breaks and lunches!! LOL! Maybe tomorrow!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 23:00 Edited 07-12-2013 23:07
Here's a new picture from today! Hahaha! Just hanging around again!!

Oh, and for worry warts, safety analologists all of the people on this job are harnessed up and 100% tied off....well, except me. Somebody has to be the lead guy to put up safety equipment like lifelines and other things it won't miracle itself into place. :wink:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2013 22:48
We lack about 15 feet to being 3/4 of the way done with the bridge!

Next step is the drilling and hanging under the girder/trusses phase once again. Pop the holes in the trusses, bolt the brackets up, then lug the T-iron into place, etc., etc. Going to "wet a worm" this next week though. Picking up some Sonny's stink bait and dropping a line right by the pier and see if I can land me a moderate size catfish to fillet and grill off the back of the truck!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2013 12:48
Shawn, what do you do to keep from burning your lanyards? Do you only use them to get where you're going, then set them aside? Just wondering.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-27-2013 13:58
The positioning lanyards I have, think I have 5-6 now are all prototypes but they are arcflash rated. Need to take some pictures of the one I've been using the last 2 months and send them to the manufacturer so they can evaluate them.

My safeties are just a standard material but the positioning lanyard keeps them away(and me) from the spatter and heat. Have not had any issues with damage to my new harness since I started using these new positioning lanyards.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 07-28-2013 03:20
Mine is Kevlar with the outer Velcro on padding that covers almost all of the harness. It is made by DBI and I have been very satisfied with it so far. Shawn has a bad a$$ setup!!! I don't do anything where I need a climbing or positioning rig. Just my .02 but for the coin DBI does a damn fine job with their upper end harnesses.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-29-2013 22:51
You must have the arc flash harness. They didn't offer a tower climbing harness in the full on arc flash version and I was not spending 10 hours a day hanging in one of those again. I would have to stand up and move around at times because my arse would fall asleep!! That's why I bought the non arc flash tower harness, it has a padded seat! My positioning lanyard or rope lanyard is a combination of top secret stuff and it keeps me away from the welding so my harness does not get abused!

DBI Sala has some wicked stuff for sure!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More Bridge Pictures