Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Introduction
- - By KellyF (*) Date 07-05-2013 13:32
Hello to all!
I do not see an introduction Sticky in your forum so I thought this would be the place to post.

My name is Kelly, and am the production manager of a fabrication company.
I have an Engineering degree from Cal Poly in Welding Technology. I am also a CWI.
Been lurking around this for awhile and have gotten some great information.
This is a great forum and the responses have been most helpful, keep up the good work.
Curious if there are any fellow ETWT's out there?
Kelly
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-05-2013 13:53
Welcome to the forum!

Have you figured out the search function yet?
It's a great resource.

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2013 14:35
Kelly,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Fellow CWI, shop owner, but NO, not an engineer.  Congrats on your achievements.  Stick around.  It is a great place to learn and help.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By KellyF (*) Date 07-05-2013 17:34
Thank You for making me welcome.
Kelly
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-08-2013 13:57
Welcome to the forum.  There has been some great information posted here. 

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-09-2013 17:49
Which Cal Poly?  Pomona? or SLO?  Also do they teach you welding metallurgy for that degree?  sorry for the question bombardment but it is a interest of mine.
thanks
-Jordan
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-09-2013 18:05
Jordan,
Excuse me for my roughness, but of course they teach welding metallurgy for obtaining an engineering degree in Welding Technology at Cal Tech.

Anoher question: isn't Cal Tech located in Berkeley? I remember of a famous American university located in Berkeley.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 07-10-2013 14:58
There is a difference between a degree in "Welding technology" and being a "welding engineer"  I would think welding technology is a lot more general.  There are many schools that offer a degree in the technology side but only three that offer an engineering degree.  And No CAL-TECH is located about 10 miles from my work here in Southern California.  You are thinking of UC Berkeley I believe. or  DAVIS. 
Jordan
Parent - By KellyF (*) Date 07-10-2013 23:17
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.
Back when I graduated (1985) they offered engineering degrees in Welding Tech, Manufacturing processes, and HVAC.
I believe the school of engineering felt that these specialized and expensive depts. were not viable and may be too much liability.
We took Calc, physics, chemistry, statics, dynamics etc. just like every body else.  Just more metallurgy, plus we had RT, and UT labs, tensile, Charpy Rockwell, Metallography.
All types of welding classes,  we had one of the first welding robots, one of the first inverter tech machines (PowCon).  SAW, EB, Plus soldering and brazing labs.  We were well equipped thanks to corporate donors.
Shame to see it closed.    Now most students go to a local community college (Cuesta) to get their welding classes.  My son now attends Cal Poly as a Materials engineer.
Kelly
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 07-09-2013 19:16
Welcome to the forum.  There are a few WE/WET guys here.  I'm an OSU WE grad.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-09-2013 22:39
Welcome!:cool:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-10-2013 10:22
Welcome to the forum Kelly!

Lot's of good information here and plenty of knowledgeable folks that have taught me plenty over the years.

Shawn
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-10-2013 11:15
Welcome Kelly,
With your position, experience and background, I look forward to any of your future contributions!
Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Introduction