Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick new bed...ahh nevermind
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-12-2013 00:12 Edited 07-12-2013 14:31
Scratch that plan....contractor is still to pay me correctly...they got my money no bed for me:mad:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 11:16
I have my tanks laying down now but the new bed I have it laid out for them to stand up so I can remove them quickly to have access to the back of the welder. I'm hauling mine to the shop tomorrow and thinking I'll be picking up some 20-22 gauge sheet metal to start skinning what I have done. My truck sheet metal isn't that heavy. I'm not one for backing into stuff and will put heavy plate as needed on the back of the truck.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 14:43
I hope you are not using your tanks in the horizontal position.

Some states will issue the driver a summons if they are caught with the tanks lying down even if they are not in use. They can also be ticketed if the regulators are attached to the tanks while being transported even when there is a valve guard in place. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 07-12-2013 22:24
Al, just wondering if that rule about gauges left on applies to vertical tanks . Mine are standing and enclosed in a 3 sided cabinet. Truck has been through dot  inspection and nothing was said. Thanks
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 22:39
Acetylene stands up, Oxygen lays down. If they can see my O2 tank then they can give me a summons but nobody can see it as it is hidden. It don't matter in Tennessee(Actually it does but nobody enforces it). I see tons of idi....guys with tanks in there pickup truck beds, utility beds, all regulators in place, ratchet strap holding them down. For my tanks to come out they're going to have a lot more to worry about that a couple of tanks, namely 11,000 pounds of truck flying around thru the air! LoL! I've bought clamshell caps for mine, have had them for years and wonder as I drive down the highway why I even bothered when I see other "rigs".

Been clean up thru Illinois, Wisconsin, both sides of Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Kentucky, Alabama, North Carolina nary a problem. Other than Komifornia I don't see to many states as hard nosed as N.Y.

Get my bed done though and it won't matter as all will be standing up. The safety caps though as far as I have read are supposed to be legal for transport.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 07-12-2013 23:03
The worst I saw was a dirt contractor pick up going down the interstate with a full size torch cart, gauges and all leaning against the tailgate. it was creepy.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-12-2013 23:10
Haha! I haven't seen anything that bad unless you consider a small cart in the back of a utility bed without straps, regulators connected equally bad. I think what you saw is in the top 5!!
Parent - By tightline11 (**) Date 07-13-2013 10:52
tommy i  still have that 2002 dodge 1 ton  with a skirted flatbed already on it lol,    hopefully  those that owe u money will pay soon
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-13-2013 17:16
Got my bed to the shop and family decided they want to do something today. Hope to get time next weekend to work on it. I get this done and mounted maybe you could take this skirted bed off my hands. Might be able to gut the inside of it(remove the heavy stuff) and replace with lighter?

On a side note found a 2001 Ford F350, crew cab, cab and chassis for sale out near my bridge job for you! Seriously though I drive by it everyday and think of how bad I want a four door!

Sucks when you have the time and the enthusiasm to do something and the money is sitting on somebodies desk in the form of an invoice. Still one of the things that sticks in my craw. Got a $450 check that has been sitting on a desk for several months. I call, they respond and I wait....I call again, they respond....annnnddddd, I wait......bass turds....

I feel you man!! Withholding another rant! LoL!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-14-2013 21:11
Shawn after all the time and money in that dodge....maybe you need to price out that ford.  Jeez you have done about everything but tear the cummins apart.....rip that drivetrain out and put it in a ford or chevy chassis!   However if you are intent on passing, by all means go check it out for me.  Use a notepad please, mileage, motor trans config, what they used it for.  You already know my storage problems with this regular cab....a four door OMG, rip out the backseats and build boxes/shelves. I am caught inbetween throwing away money on (bed) what I am going to get rid of anyway or rigging out a new truck.  Hell at the right price I will buy that service bed off your chevy 7 cylinder at the moment.  I hate logic but I need to leave this one be and just pass it on to my son and build what I want.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick new bed...ahh nevermind