Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Want to buy a H.F. 170a wire welder to learn. Good Idea?
- - By shady1070 Date 08-09-2013 12:34
After paying people money to do easy welding jobs for my fabricating steel brackets and also aluminum projects, I have decided to start emerging my self into welding how to vids.  Instead of waisting money and going to a school and spending 1k plus on intruction,  I have started watching youtube videos,  Which not all are educational but some are down right fantastic. 

So I want to buy my first welder ( Main Purpose To use the heck out of it lerning how to weld correctly.  and with a warranty for 2 years, I can't beat the price.)   I am looking at a 170 amp mic/Flux Wire welder at Harbor freight.  I can pick one up for about 175 bucks slap a warranty on it and use the heck out of it practicing.  From What I have been reading its all about practice and safety.   Im not trying to become a welder by profession,  As I am into business administration with sales. I am not trying too become a certified welder.  Maybe somday.  But I just want something I can use for shop projects.   AKA Like building a trailer.  ETC.   That is really my whole Idea behind this jump into learing how to properly weld (Hince the word properly).  I have some great plans for a 8by20ft utility trailer and wanted to start practicing for a few months before I build it.    I am needing something that I can use on 1/4 inch angle Iron. 

So do you think this would be a good way to learn??   Keep in mind I just want to do small odds and ends and also lead up to building a utility trailer. 

I know a lot of you all might be thinking harbor freight :evil:    But I am considering this my learning welder. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 08-09-2013 14:19
Sir,

While welding can be an enjoyable hobby and an excellent addition to a hobbyist's home project shop for the occasional odd or end doodad, if your eventual intention is to build a 20' trailer for use on the public roadway system, it behooves you from more perspectives than need be enumerated here, to at least seek out some instruction from a reputable professional that will acquaint you with verifiably correct technique, standards and some insight into evaluating your work to meet those standards to insure the public safety.  Save yourself a lot of trouble and at least see if there isn't a week end seminar at a local community college or a local mobile proffesional that can provide you a few hours instruction and examine your results with a knowlege of the criteria regarding what a good weld should be.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-09-2013 15:46
Couldn't agree more!

I don't wanna follow a trailer on the highway that was build upon the advice of a Youtube video.

However,   Welding Tips and Tricks .com... http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/  is a very good place to get advice..  Jody Collier is the host and I hold him in highest regard.

170 amp harbor freight mig welder will also be under powered for aluminum welding in my opinion.

If you are going to build trailers and weld aluminum, look for something that will produce spray transfer  {200+ amp power supply}

Taking a class or two is not that spendy and it gives you an opportunity to get hour hands on multiple welding machines... A very good thing for somebody who is shopping for a machine...  You will make a much better decsion on what to buy *after* taking the classes
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-09-2013 16:07 Edited 08-09-2013 16:15
I agree with "L" on waiting to do your machine shopping until later...take a test run on a few different machines and you will be able to get past the saleman trying to pass off the latest and greatest machine with a new knob to twist. When it comes to welding with wire welders, there are two knobs of importance...you need to be able to control your voltage and your wire feed speed....all other buttons and gadgets are just fluff to add and raise the cost of the machine. Many of the lower end machines cheap out to keep costs down and use voltage "selection" knobs where there are only a few voltage settings to choose from vs an infinitely adjustable voltage knob. These coarse voltage settings are OK, but having more control over the voltage is a huge plus, especially when just starting out. I find new welders fumbling with the settings and not understanding what the problem is or how to adjust the machine to correct it. Too much spatter and you'll find the voltage is most likey too low for the amount of wire feed speed. The wire is jamming into the puddle and splashing out vs melting off and becoming part of the puddle. Too much voltage for the wire feed speed will cause the wire to burn off back up inside the contact tip. Think of your voltage control as a way to adjust your arc length for a given wire feed speed. You will find alot of bad publicity on several welding forums given to FCAW wires, particularly the self-sheilded FCAW wires....not all of it is true, some of it is because the person with the gripe doesn't understand FCAW welding or their machine and how to correct the problem they are having. I find this to be true on car building forums.

Edit* I didn't mention ESO(electrical stick out) This is the amount of wire sticking out, measured from the work piece to the end of the contact tip(not the nozzle). This dimension is critical to adjusting your machine. If you get do not keep this stickout dimension constant, you will chase your machine settings all over the place. When the stick out gets too far out it is like lowering your voltage setting and visa versa. Also get the wire mfg's data sheet on every diameter wire that you purchase. This has typical settings on it to get you very close to where you need to be, and then you can fine tune your machine to get good results. Without this data, it can be a guessing game as to where to start with your machine settings.
Parent - - By shady1070 Date 08-09-2013 16:21
My questions really is not about building a trailer.(It was just something I would like to build from scratch.)  My questions is  about if some of you experience welders think that buying a H.f. welder would be a good tool to start learning how to weld. Our local community college has a course for flux wife fed welding and its around 1800 dollars for the course.  Not including materials used.

Or, If you have any other Idea of what would be a good welder to start with for a novice but something with enough amps to be able to experience different techniques with different metals.    Im trying to stay on the sub 400 dollar mark
Parent - By Darrell_B (*) Date 08-09-2013 17:37
Just my opinion, but just talking steel- there is a huge difference between gluing some sheet metal together and welding 1/4'' material adequately. Once you bring aluminum into the mix, I don't think the HF machine is the way to go, even for a "hobbyist".
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 08-09-2013 19:52
Do yourself a favor and look on Craigslist for a name brand welding machine. There is a reason why HF welders are not used in professional shops. I have seen many Lincoln Miller Hobart machines for sale on Craigslist that are in your price range.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Want to buy a H.F. 170a wire welder to learn. Good Idea?