Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ID of Elements welded and Welder stamps
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 14:48
In the D1.1 and D1.5 codes, I didn´t see if is necessary identify all the elements that compound and strucutural piece, I have to Identify all componnets?

By the other hand, where i work we ussually require that the welder put a stamp identifying the piece welded by him.  But I don´t know how neccesary or obligatory is it. where it say it?

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2013 16:41 Edited 08-21-2013 16:53
Leonardo,  Good day sir,

You have asked a multi tiered question.  Lets start with the material ID:
Remember, you are dealing with more than just D1.1 or 1.5 on a job.  You must also consider AISC Construction Manual (I am referencing the 13th Edition) which contains the Bolting (which doesn't concern us at this point), the Specification for Structural Steel Buildings (which somewhat concerns us) and also the Code of Standard practice (which really concerns us).  Look at the Code of Standard Practice (COSP) at the back of the manual at Section 6, especially 6.1.1 and 6.1.2.  They are going to direct that material should have material id visible through the fabrication until assymbly.  When in connection with a shop that would indicate that as it comes off the truck it should have some id (at the least a Heat #) from the supplier and that id follows it through the detail prep lines of saws, torches, whatever to make all your small components.  This will cross over to many codes from D1.1, 1.8, 1.5 and others because it is the COSP and is to be considered standard practice in all work.

The TPI needs to be able to view this as much as possible to document that the correct materials were used on the job.  Some small parts should at least be visible until fit up at which point it will be difficult to keep the Ht# (which is most often used for traceability) visible and after welding even more so.

You will also find some references to this marking/id of parts in your applicable codes especially if it is a Seismic job (D1.8 and/or AISC Seismic Design Manual), Bridge job, or Pressure Vessel job. 

But mainly, you are going to find it in many larger company QC manuals of operation.  It is their standard practice to make sure that it doesn't get missed on jobs that do require it.  Every part gets marked with job#, heat # and a couple other numbers depending upon the company to be able to track material.  Yes, EVERY PART. 

Secondly, the welder.  Now once again you are going to have to check multiple codes.  It is in D1.8 Seismic Supplement Clause 6.13.  It is a good practice for keeping track of welders and possible additional training that may be required.  I believe you will also find it in the Bridge Code (D1.5) and your Pressure Vessel Codes. 

Again, it is good practice just for records of UT and RT acceptance percentages and the need for additional training.  BUT, it is required for some codes.  When working to the multitude of codes that you appear to work to it is good practice in order to keep the welders in the habit.  Once again, it may be one of those customer requirements and/or Fabrication QC items that isn't always a code requirement.

There are many things to consider with each of your questions.  If a company just establishes both as Standard Practice then they can't go wrong. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 21:53
wow you´re right I´ve got to consider all you told. Thank you very much for your help and orientation.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-23-2013 20:07
As Brent pointed out the need for heat numbers to trace materials, the corresponding MTRs should also be checked against the tolerances for chemical analysis found in ASME Sec II & applicable Parts A or B.

QVRobert
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-24-2013 19:17 Edited 08-24-2013 19:19
The need for material traceability and welder identification is dependent on the specifics of the project specifications.

As mentioned by Brent, there are other documents to consider besides the appropriate welding code, i.e., D1.1, D1.5, etc. Even AISC does not state that every structure must be constructed with full material traceability. The contractor may only have to show evidence the correct material was ordered if the project is a small simple building. Large projects, complex structures, and other structures that require material traceability will include the requirement in the project specification or by referencing the applicable fabrication code that includes a material traceability requirement.

Pressure vessels typically require complete traceability, NAVSEA classifies weldments based on their criticality to the mission and safety of the vessel. Material control is required, but how far the traceability must be maintained is dependent on the weld classification.

Material control is just one of several factors that must be considered when a contractor develops a quality control system. In many cases the contractor will require material traceability on all their projects to ensure the workers don't miss it on a project where it is required. In other words, it streamlines their operations to have a single practice that is common to all their work instead of having several systems in place that increases the probability something will be overlooked on a critical project.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2013 21:05
As an addendum to what I already said and what Al just said, I believe Leondro's shop does work to several codes (info gleaned from a different thread in a different section).  If that is the case, it would be very prudent to include this type of requirement as an in house QC policy to document to customers that material is not accidentally used on a different job.  Or, even if you needed a piece of angle that was remnant from the other job it had all the MTR's and met the requirements for the job other job. 

But, no traceability, order another piece and end up with lots more remnants.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ID of Elements welded and Welder stamps