Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1:2010 Clause 2
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-28-2013 20:59
Hello, There is a book or guide that explain all the aspects of clause 2 D1.1:2010 that can recommend?
thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2013 21:11
Leonardo,

What is it you need to know from Clause 2?  The best guide is back in the commentary.

Just remember, much of clause 2 applies very directly to the engineer.  There are many applications and details for inspectors and welders, but it is mainly for the design team. 

Give us an idea what you need.  Many of the guys can offer some help with the normal free advice.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-29-2013 12:58
I mean aspects like: How determine the stress  a welded joint can load, how determine if is PJP or CJP, when is required CVN, how calculate the size of a weld, but in general way just to understand the spirit of this clause.

Other things can be an explanation of 2.6.4.3 istantaneuos center of rotation, an video or guide about it, to visualize, and when a structure is considered statically or ciclically loaded.

I don´t know if I´m clear? I´m wonder all above but I`d like some easy explanation not so deep.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-29-2013 14:21
Okay,

Unless you are a project engineer, none of that matters to you.  You don't have to know any of that.  The code and all AISC material especially the Code of Standard Practice places that responsibility soundly on the shoulders of the Project Engineer.  Then, it transfers to the detailer to make sure everything is called out properly on the detailed shop/erection drawings.  From there it gets re-submitted to the engineers for final approval to get your 'Approved for Construction' drawings. 

Things like 'Demand Critical', 'Cyclic', 'Static', etc are all in the sphere of an engineer with a state approved stamp of approval and the right insurance if something goes wrong.

For most of us, if your insurance found out you were calculating your own welds and other public safety issues they would drop you like a hot potato.  And a customer doesn't hire us to do those things.  If they do, they are trying to cut corners and I don't want their work anyway.  They will run like crazy when it all falls apart and YOU end up in court. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great  Day,  Brent
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-29-2013 20:49
thanks!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1:2010 Clause 2