Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.11 index (D)
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-04-2013 17:34
Question:
Can our 6GR welder, weld out the root and hot pass, on a 8” pipe butt joint, and then have my 3G-4G welder complete the weld under Table 4.11 index (D)?
I got one super saying yes because the weld has now become a PJP.
I have another super saying "the joint is called out on the drawing as a CJP and only our 6GR welder can weld it under D1.1 table 4.10"

I've been searching but I don't see the answere written straight out for me to show them the correct answere to this issue.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2013 19:10
The welder qualified to weld open root joints, i.e., 6GR, can weld the root bead and perhaps the second layer. A welder qualified with backing can then weld the remainder of the joint provided the thickness limitations isn't exceeded and the 24 inch diameter restriction is observed.

Remember, a performance test on plate has a restriction on the minimum diameter that can be welded.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-04-2013 20:39
While one could argue the fact that it is always and completely a CJP, that won't be an issue seeing as how the diameter won't qualify.   Doesn't matter how many different tables the issues is confused by it still stands that the plate qualified welder can only weld tubular 24" and above. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fit2inspect (**) Date 09-05-2013 11:20
Perfectly explained.  Thanks guys. They keep me on my toes over here.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 4.11 index (D)