Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Water based paint
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2013 19:08
What are you guys using to clean cutting fluids and general oils off your structural steel before painting with a water based paint?
We don't use much of this waterbased stuff.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 09-04-2013 22:11
We have been using enamel reducer to wipe down the metals and painting with DTM (direct to metal) paint which I am pretty sure is water base.
We were very apprehensive when starting this but have had good success.
I will verify tomorrow if it is indeed water base and get back to you.

Griff
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-05-2013 11:18
Our paint supplier is bringing us some "Extra Muscle" prepaint cleaner today for us to try. All of this just adds time and eats up shop hours, hopefully our estimating department will see water based paint in the job specs and add a bunch of time for watching paint dry. The thinner we were using to clean before applying the other paint dried almost immediately, and the paint itself would cure pretty quickly and you could handle it within minutes after applying...not this stuff, it's slow and takes a long time to set up enough to turn the pieces over to paint the backside.

http://greatlakeslaboratories.com/products/
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 09-14-2013 13:21
Finally remembered to ask the guys that do most of our painting.

They said the water based DTM covers good, dries as quick as the solvent based paints, and is easier to clean up.
The verdict is still out on durability as we have been using this paint for  only 3 or 4 months

Griff
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-16-2013 11:22 Edited 09-16-2013 11:33
As with anything new...our guys will just have to figure out the querks and what it takes to work with this product. If the humidity was reasonable, it may dry at a decent rate, but we are located in a bottom, along two creeks, and the fog doesn't clear until nearly noon every day...so we have to be careful and watch our ambient conditions closely.

edited spelling
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 09-16-2013 11:26
That is different from our conditions this summer.  It has been HOT & DRY here. 
Time will tell.

Griff
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-16-2013 14:17
FOG??  Humidity??  Does not compute!! 

What are these terms?  I don't understand.  OOOHHHH, wait a minute, you guys must live in the real world.  No 120°F and 3-5% humidity for you.  Paint dries before it even comes out of the gun here.  Clean up?  We just wipe the dust off or blow it off with the air.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-16-2013 14:22
real world? nah....it's unusual weather this year...it has rained "almost" everyday this entire year. Local news keeps talking about the wettest year we have had on record. We exceeded our normal rainfall for the year back in June and we still had the rest of the year to go. This past week we finally had a few days without rain occurring sometime during the 24 hours of the day.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-17-2013 04:46
Brent I am personally offended by your conditions.......I use a lot of oil based and mil spec epoxy.......never dry yea right....impossible cure is more like it in 100% humidity!
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-17-2013 11:22
we had to go to water based for our cylinders, take 4-5 days to dry properly in Houston.  Of course we can never wait that long, and the bottles get all marked up when we move them.  It sux
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-17-2013 14:45
I don't control the weather Tommy...Blame God...OOOHHHH, better not do that.  Something far worse may go wrong  :lol:  :twisted:

If there is one thing we don't have to worry about, it is slow drying times.  I used some fast dry paint once to speed up a job.  No need.  The regular paint dried almost as fast and was a better finish. 

When we were in OR we had to adapt often for moist conditions.  It wasn't like the gulf coast areas but it is always moist and humid in the NW.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Water based paint