Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / In the camper
- - By unclematt (***) Date 09-27-2013 12:54 Edited 09-27-2013 13:14
Good Morning;
Well, it is my third day here at Live Oak Ridge Campground in Belton, Tx. It is a Corp of Engineer's park on Lake Belton. The wife and I are here to see her son and go to The University of Mary Hardin Baylor's football game. Her son is enrolled here in the Music Education program. What it cost us for four days here it would of cost us one day in a hotel. This is a beautiful park with its namesake, Live Oaks, everywhere. The park is surprisingly quiet; except for a fella in a one ton Chevy with Flowmasters that likes to ride the clutch. Yesterday there were three doe and a wide fork-horned buck eating acorns just three spots down from us. They were park deer; not afraid of humans. The lake level is really down; they have the boat ramp closed. The bathroom facilities here are really good as are the showers. There is a small playground for the kiddos but there isn't a pool. A lot of the spots have a covered picnic table with all of them on a concrete pad. The camping spots have an asphalt pad for your camper and a small charcoal grill. When there isn't a burn ban in effect they have a fire ring for your use. They have a laundry facility here with a few machines. We are just minutes from the town of Belton proper. Belton is a beautiful town. On occasion they have a Friday Night cruise around the square and live music every Friday and Saturday night at the cotton gin on Nolan Creek. There are some good places to eat a short distance from here; notably the Dead Fish Grill, which is just across the lake. Also, if you want to catch a good game, UMHB has a really good team. They have won the conference championship every year except one since 2002. Drayton McClane just built them a new stadium. We are here until Sunday and will miss it when we are gone. So, if anyone is travelling I-35 and looking for a campground, I would recommend this place.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 13:19
Thanks for the campground review Matt...If I'm ever down that way with my camper, I will certainly check in and stay there....sounds like a wonderful place to camp.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-27-2013 13:25
Oh, that looks like it's about 138 miles or so from San Antonio, My wife and I will be down there around January to watch our son play at the All-American games.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 09-28-2013 02:12
Hey John I live 45 minutes from San Antonio
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 09-28-2013 02:35
Yes sir. It is between Waco and Austin. Temple is the adjacent city to the north and Salado is just south of here. Salado is pretty nice. This is a really nice area. Last time we were here we went to the caverns in Georgetown; think it was Innerspace Caverns. It was OK but Longhorn caverns are better; in my opinion, and have been told Carlsbad Caverns are really nice. When I was a kid we used to vacation in Wimberly; which is just west of San Marcos. There was a place called Lil' Arkansas on the Blanco River. That place was awesome. They had a cistern on the side of the cliff that caught water as it seeped out of the hill. What wasn't caught ran to a little waterfall. Just an awesome place but some lawyer out of Houston bought it and closed it to the public. Can't say I fault him for it because if I had bought it, I'd be tempted to do the same thing. Best of luck to your son in the games.

Have a good evening;
Matt
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-28-2013 16:06
Carlsbad Caverns are pretty awesome!:grin:
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 10-02-2013 05:35
I was there earlier this summer those caverns are awesome I hiked out and got to see sll the bats really cool
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / In the camper