Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG settings for welding different thickness mild steel
- - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-11-2013 02:34 Edited 12-12-2013 02:29
I have been trying to chase down, what seems to me to be, the elusive answer to the subject.  Sorry if the answer is obvious but I have not come across what seems like a definitive answer. Is there an AWS spec somewhere?

Specifically I want to join 1/4" mild steel to 1/2" mild steel in a tee joint. So when setting up voltage and WFS would I set for 1/4" or 1/2" or somewhere between the two?  I will try to explain myself by way of example. Lets say I want to weld 1/4" mild steel to 1/2" mild steel in a tee joint. If I choose the 1/4 " settings will I get enough penetration in the 1/2" steel? If I choose the 1/2" settings will it be too "hot" for the 1/4" steel? Is there any guidance in this regard from AWS?

Flame as you see fit...:lol:
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-11-2013 11:57 Edited 12-11-2013 12:03
Hey Panda,
Go to the weld wire Manufacturer's website.  It will contain recommended settings.  From your previous posts, I think you were using 0.035" wire, short circuit transfer, (not sure which gas you are using). 
Here's a snapshot from Lincoln Electric's guide.

Note that 0.035" wire isn't listed for 1/4" plate.  I suggest you use the max voltage on your Ironman 230 machine and play with the wire feed speed until you can lay down a good looking weld.  It's all about playing with the settings.
Good luck

Tyrone
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-11-2013 20:08 Edited 12-11-2013 20:14
Tyrone,

Thanks for the reply. I have a similar table in my welder, but, again when welding two different thicknesses, which of the two settings do I choose…the thicker or thinner setting for a Tee Joint? So, for example, on the chart you posted what setting would you choose for welding a 3/16" piece to a 1/4" piece of mild steel? And why would you choose that setting?

Thanks Again.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2013 21:44 Edited 12-11-2013 21:49
Hi Kung fu,
These charts are just starting points/rough settings to get your machine set somewhere fairly close, and then you will most likey have to fine tune the machine. It's just a place to start, that's all. While you are welding, so will be able to see what the puddle needs....more WFS or more voltage. There are only two knobs when wire welding that matter. Voltage and WFS(wire feed speed)

If the sparks are flying all over and you have spatter the size of the welding wire or larger, you have one of two situations:

Too much WFS for the voltage setting, or too little voltage for the WFS setting.

If the arc burns back up inside the tip, you have one of two situations:

Too much voltage for the WFS setting, or too little WFS for the voltage setting.

EDIT
BTW, the one thing that MUST remain constant is the ESO(electrical stick out)
EDIT#2 In the chart they call it CTWD(contact tip to work distance), this is measured from the end of the contact tip where the wire exits to the work. If this does not remain constant, you will chase your machine settings all day and never figure out what is going on.
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-12-2013 00:53
jwright650,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I may be asking the question incorrectly. I will try to explain myself by way of example. Lets say I want to weld 1/4" mild steel to 1/2" mild steel in a tee joint. If I choose the 1/4 " settings will I get enough penetration in the 1/2" steel? If I choose the 1/2" settings will it be too "hot" for the 1/4" steel? Is there any guidance in this regard from AWS that you or anyone knows of?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2013 04:05
That type of precise settings for volts, amps/wire feed speed is not dealt with in the D1 codes.  Those parameters are set to the application involved.

You may find some guidance from the manufacturer's specifications for the electrode, but overall it will be by experience.

With the parameters you have mentioned you are not dealing with a vast material difference such as 1" to 1/8".  Then you may run into a problem getting hot enough for the 1" without blowing through the 1/8".  But with the minimal difference you mention it should be fairly easy to run with enough amps to penetrate into the 1/2" without causing problems with the 1/4".  That is not to say you may have to work on technique a little to make sure you don't get overlap, undercut, lack of fusion, etc.  You may need to concentrate the arc more on the 1/2" material and let it flow into the 1/4" without the arc pointed directly at the 1/4". 

Some of these pointers may be mentioned in books of reference available through AWS but will not be addressed by the codes themselves.  The 'Welding Handbook' series has good material.  Volume 2 is on Welding Processes and is full of good advice. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-12-2013 14:27
OK thanks…now it makes sense why I could not find any AWS reference regards the subject. Sounds like it requires some, as you point out, experience.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 10:52
1/4" and 1/2" welded in a "T" configuration:
what size fillet weld do you need?
Is the base of the T the 1/2" and the stem the 1/4"?
Parent - - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-12-2013 14:23
Base is 1/2"and the stem is 1/4".
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 14:31
The way that I approach this is to start the arc and keep it about an electrode diameter (maybe 1.5 diameters if running hot) away from the root of the joint, concentrating on the 1/2" base. Then progress along the joint maintaining that distance away from the 1/4" stem and watch the puddle wash up onto the 1/4" stem until you achieve the fillet weld leg size you need. Make sure that the toes of the weld are wetting in, not undercutting the 1/4" and are not rolling up on the 1/2". :wink:
Parent - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-12-2013 19:33
Ok will give this a shot. I did find myself wrestling with some undercut near the end of my welds….wish I had steady hands and eyes...:lol:
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-12-2013 12:03
Hey Panda,
Like jwright said, the charts are a starting point...

You won't find AWS guidance for settings.  There are too many variables that affect weld quality.  If they did, that would make them liable in case of injury or death.

To answer your earlier question:  what setting would you choose for welding a 3/16" piece to a 1/4" piece of mild steel? And why would you choose that setting

Based on the chart, I would start at 22 V, 250 ipm WFS.  (100% CO2 shielding gas)
I chose those settings because it's the highest recorded values for 0.035" wire dia.  Yes it's for 10 ga. steel, so I know I'll be bumping it up a few volts and playing with the WFS until it gets the nice constant crackling sound in the short circuit mode.  This is the part where you will gain knowledge through experience.
Tyrone
Parent - By kung fu panda (*) Date 12-12-2013 14:26
OK thanks…now it makes sense why I could not find any AWS reference regards the subject.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-12-2013 17:49
kung fu panda,what is your welding process is it GTAW,GMAW,SMAW or what.

M.G.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 18:00
Hi Milton,
He has "MIG" in the title of his thread....so I figured that either GMAW or FCAW setup tips and tricks will be useful.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-12-2013 18:05
John, I didnt see it in his post. O.K. I seen it in the title sorry.

M.G.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 18:28
:wink: it's all good Milton
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-13-2013 17:44
Amen John it's all good.

M.G.
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 12-13-2013 19:04
I would say around 18 volts and a 260 wire speed would be a good start. and as John said, run your focus mainly on the heavier plate, and let the puddle wash in rhythm onto the 1/4 plate.  Dont use too much angle and also, watch the wetting.  clean the surface really well, the mill scale can contribute to under cut.  Now short circut isnt really the best for 1/2 inch but lay on that side more.

Jordan
- - By sanjeev kumar Date 02-26-2018 13:02
How much current voltage and wire speed of weld 10 mm thick Al alloy 6082 by MIG welding.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-28-2018 10:03
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG settings for welding different thickness mild steel