Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Stamp
- - By MOHAMMED KAMEL (*) Date 12-11-2013 11:25
Can I have an ASME stamp on a pressure vessel fabricated to a non ASME std such as British STD , Japanese STD , or similar . Please I need a straight forward answer : YES OR NO
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2013 13:18
Well, before I would want to speculate here I would ask two questions... Are you the manufacturer and wanting to know if you should place your stamp on such a product?  OR, are you in receipt of such a vessel and wondering if it is appropriate for it to have been stamped under these conditions? 

Just because one has the stamp and qualifications does not mean it should be placed upon everything they do.  If it were a structure that said shop had fabricated I would not expect to see their ASME stamp placed upon it. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-11-2013 19:01
If you let me know your personal e-mail address, I'll send you an article that I authored on Hydrocarbon Processing magazine four years ago titled "What chemical engineers should know about ASME VIII Code". The article explains in detail what ASME VIII is, what is it intended for and when a vessel can or can not have an ASME stamp.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-12-2013 03:26 Edited 12-12-2013 05:10
Ans is No:eek:

BUT if the Customer wanted to engage a vendor holding a U stamp, you should not interpret it as customer wanted the vessel to be stamped for non ASME vessels. Some customer requires U stamp as prerequisite for contractor to be included in their approved vendor list.

~Joey~:grin:
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-13-2013 00:44
No
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-25-2014 04:11
The answer is NO. The ASME Stamp signifies that the vessel complies with the applicable section of the ASME B&PV Code. If it was built to a different standard, then it does not meet the ASME Code.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-11-2013 18:27
The short answer is no.

The justification for my "no" response are as follows:

-The base metal used for construction must meet ASME material specifications. British or Japanese do not.
-The filler metals must meet ASME filler metal specifications or be qualified by testing to ASME requirements. British or -Japanese filler metal manufactured to their specifications may not meet ASME requirements.
-The welding procedures  and welders must qualified to ASME Section IX. The British and Japanese are most likely qualified to a different standard.
-The fabricator has to hold an ASME stamp for the type of construction, i.e., the correct stamp for the work performed. Wasn't done.
-An Authorized Inspector has to review and approve the design, the WPS/PQR, assign hold points for mandatory inspections during construction, perform a visual inspection, and witness the hydrotest. Wasn't done.

Whether there is a "work around" so the vessel can be "stamped" as an ASME vessel, I doubt there is any way to do so. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 12-12-2013 23:18
From VIII:

STATEMENT OF POLICY ON THE USE OF ASME MARKING TO IDENTIFY MANUFACTURED ITEMS

The ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code provides rules for the construction of boilers, pressure vessels, and nuclear
components. This includes requirements for materials, design, fabrication, examination, inspection, and stamping. Items
constructed in accordance with all of the applicable rules of the Code are identified with the official Certification Mark
described in the governing Section of the Code.

Markings such as “ASME,” “ASME Standard,” or any other marking including “ASME” or the Certification Mark shall not
be used on any item that is not constructed in accordance with all of the applicable requirements of the Code.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-16-2013 17:57
It can be done, as Al states with 'work arounds', i.e., a reconciliation. I've done a few of them. Its always difficult and most often impossible. The operative is that you must be able to demonstrate that the fabrication was performed in compliance with ASME. This does not mean that it was intended to comply ahead of time. But if not ahead of time it becomes very very difficult.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Stamp