Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 19.5 Inch Mud and Snow Tires????
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-05-2014 15:27
So I have this 2013 Ram 4500. So far so good, awesome piece of equipment unless you have spend the first 10,000 miles in the Midwest in a winter hell. It came with the Continental 225/70R19.5 tires and I have to say, these tires suck in snow. Weighing in at nearly 14,000 lbs it's hard to believe that in 6 inches of snow this thing is like driving a skateboard. I've spent half my life driving in some of the worst conditions since I am originally from Western New York, the "snow belt". Out of all of the vehicles I have owned this truck is the worst handling creature, mainly due to the awful tires.

Any of you out there running 19.5's and know of a good mud and snow tire? I've searched the web and find some Michelin's, Toyo's but most say they are "drive tires only". Since I have a 4 wheel drive it seems senseless to put good tires on the rear with highway tread on the front. I don't haul up and down the highway as it seems the tire manufacturers think that is all these tires/trucks are used for.

Any of you have experience in mud and snow with a recommended 19.5 inch tire? Pretty slim pickin's out there from what I've seen.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-05-2014 17:17
Shawn

Have you thought of switching to a different rim size? I am not real familiar with the lug pattern of a 4500 but if you bought some steel 20" rims.  Tires might be cheaper and I know most major A/T and mud grip brands are sold in a 20" rim and might offset the cost of the rim purchase.  Just a thought.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-06-2014 01:03
19.5", 10 lug. Problem with "most" 20" tires is they won't be G or H rated. I do appreciate the thought though. I think the cost of the 19.5's is more from the G and H rating.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-06-2014 16:06
The low(er) profile and stiff(er) sidewalls on 19.5's, plus the you can't air them down, mean they will do well on dry pavement/heavy load, but also mean they are poor(er) in low traction pavement and really poor off road.

If there was a 19.5 that worked off road/snow as well as 16" or 17" LT's I'd buy 'em. But no such luck. It's a tradeoff compromise so we pay the freight to keep wearing out and replacing good LT mud tires. And run the appropriate pressure for the ground we're on. Sure beats getting stuck in things you normally drive out of with aggressive LT's.

Of course you're stuck with them, to clear the large brakes but in my opinion there are "somewhat better" 19.5's but not good ones for those underfoot conditions.

The cool lookin(?) low profile 20's are pretty helpless off the road in loose dirt, sand, mud conditions too. My take.

J
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-06-2014 16:15 Edited 01-06-2014 17:02
I seen some 19.5 BFG's in a mud tire config. They were also Kevlar belted.  At 1200.00 a tire ouch.

Edit... I cant even find the link to it anymore.  It might have been a goodyear.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-07-2014 03:10
I LOVE my Nitto terra Grapplers !! They go through ANYTHING and stay on the road !!! PLUS the are quiet
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-07-2014 03:50
Cactus, Sent you a PM
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-07-2014 04:55 Edited 01-07-2014 04:58
since your truck is a 4wd you prob get away with running a drive type tire on the front.     When they start to cup and wear funny you can switch them to the front.   IF your truck has the continentals on them from the factory i feel sorry for you those things SUCK.

If you're having a hell of a time in the snow and ice more than the mud i would give the michelin xds2 a shot.  the sipeing really helps on ice and snow.     Mud tires are pretty much usless on ice,  the sipes help grab what little traction is to be had.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-07-2014 11:47
Funny thing is I emailed Goodyear and told them what the truck was and that I don't haul stuff over the road and that I go off road for work and needed a suggestion for a tire that was good in mud and snow that I could use on the front and rear since the truck is 4wd. They suggested some narly looking tire for the rear and sorry looking highway tread for the front(steer tire).

It amazes me how many people I email and then get the standard response back as if they don't care or don't even read the email.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 01-07-2014 12:43
they will always take the company line.   No free thinkers, unless you can get to a true engineer which is impossible anymore.     

I would think a medium mud and snow setup would work.   Just have keep on top of steer tire wear and rotate as needed
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-07-2014 18:55
That's what I have been looking at. Something not super aggressive but more so than what I have. By the time I figure it out it'll be spring somewhere and won't have to worry about it!!

Haha, yeah, free thinkers are becoming as rare as people with common sense anymore.
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-07-2014 22:39
I second Cactus on the Terra grappler.  I have been running them forever and get 60k out of a dually pretty easy.  The trail graplers I might give a try next they are a little more aggressive and the guys that run them say they are pretty quite too.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 01-08-2014 04:00 Edited 01-08-2014 04:03
If all else fails have em swapped out and now you have a set of summer tires.    or 6 slightly used steer tires.

I will say my ex drove 250 miles in 100 deg heat on a Michelin with a pipe nipple stuck in it on an inside dual.   While the tire was complete junk it never came apart and trashed the truck.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 01-08-2014 13:17
Here's a shock absorber bracket with a 5/8" x3" bolt in a my
Michelin front tire started shaking like the wheel was falling off.
Didn't even lose air and was able to slow get off the road.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw0oyd5bj2pftfg/2013-12-05%2015.56.49.jpg
Parent - - By theweldor (*) Date 01-30-2014 01:09
I have a set of Yokahama's on my 4400 International. They have been on there for three years and have held up very well. I can get the numbers off of them if it would help. The best ones I have found so far.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 02-13-2014 04:10
Shawn,
I used to have a 3500hd with 19.5 tires. I ran Toyo and had them siped when they were new and unmounted. I had best luck with 1/2" cuts "sipes" on a bias. Night and day difference! No company will sipe a tire unless it is new and unmounted.  Gives much better traction and let's the tire run cooler for extended tread life. I sold the truck 7 years ago, so I don't know what you can get for tires now for the 19.5's?
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 19.5 Inch Mud and Snow Tires????