Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Field inspection, how do you guys do it?
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 00:24
I've been a shop inspector all of my CWI life and now have taken a job doing field inspections......I've never been so bored in my life. All I seem to do is stand around waiting for this or that. I always stayed covered up with work before and never had to sit around like I am now. I'm seriously wondering if I made a mistake taking this job. The day has never been so long. 8 hrs felt like two days worth of sitting around.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 01:02
Suggest taking the time to study and learn. There is no such thing as down time on a job for me. Also get used to the idea that you will run across many more less than motivated people in that realm. People that will whine and complain when asked to do their job, and in the next breath complain about how little they make.. I believe over time, you will find such persons as the most irritating part of it.

However, from the aspect of learning opportunities, field work tends to presents a plethora of them, and the time to take advantage of the same.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 01:06
Thanks Gerald...just needed to vent a little. I've been used to being elbow deep in work all day at my old job and the day simply flew by and never seemed to have enough hours in the day to get it all done...I've been thrown into a very different pace and haven't had time to adjust.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2014 01:41
John, :lol: :lol:

There are indeed plenty of 'boring' times.  There are also plenty of busy times.  All depends upon the job.  I work as a TPI in shops and in the field.  There are times I can't stand it.  How do you think I find time to write articles for IT?  I use situations at the jobs to provoke me to more study and then write about it. 

But there are times when a shop has dozens of employees all working on your project that you can't hardly keep up with all the material id, small parts observation of heat number transfer, fitup, welding, compliance to structural drawings, final sign off, record keeping and daily reports.  It will run you ragged.

I also have many discussions with QC personnel about improper inspection practices.  Those can be fun. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 17:41
So far, today has been alot better. Site visit was better because the erector didn't work Fridays and I had the whole place to myself and could move along at a pace that suits me better.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-17-2014 06:08
Wait until you start doing concrete and proprietary anchor inspections.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 17:42
LOL....Ran around gathering concrete samples most of yesterday morning to bring back to the lab for curing and testing.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 18:08 Edited 01-17-2014 18:11
Nothing to do on while on-site?
I can honestly say I have never had that problem in thirty years of doing this. Between performing the inspections and writing the report, cross referencing the applicable clauses of building code, D1.1, the steel construction manual, drawings, and the project specification,  it is a full day that extends into the evening hours.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 18:33
I spent several hours walking around looking for missing screws in the cold formed metal framing, now that is some entertainment...LOL

Al, I'm coming in on the heels of another inspector and much of my time is spent trying to figure out what has been inspected and what is left. I spend alot of time walking the site looking for people, who send me to other people, who send me back to the people I was looking for when I arrived. After I find the folks that I am supposed to get up with, they have no clue why I am there.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 20:09
Your employer should have copies of the original inspections filed by the other inspector(s).

There is usually a statement of special inspections if the building is a threshold structure that specifically state the scope of the inspections required by the Engineer based on the requirements of the building code.

You have the requirements of the building code, the steel construction manual, and any welding codes that apply to the work. If you are looking at decking, you have a standard for that. If you are dealing with open web joists or girders, there are specifications for those with their own welding requirements.

As an employee, your employer should have copies of the applicable standards you can use so you can do your job properly. In most cases, the approved structural drawings must be used in conjunction with the erection and detail drawings. If there is a discrepancy between the erection/shop drawings and the structural drawings (S drawings), there should be an approval/sketch signed by the Engineer accepting the deviation or revision.

Sounds like you will earn your paycheck on this project. Talk about being thrown to the wolves.

I'm sure you will do just fine once you get oriented.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2014 23:31
A little different than being in the shop all day though isn't it. 

But if I'm going to be on a field job I sure prefer to be on it from the get-go.  Trying to come along later and play catch up is a pain even if the guy before you was good.  You get there cold turkey and have to look through all the specs, plans, details, typicals, and applicable codes then find out what they actually needed inspected that day then make sure it matches all those items you looked at then write a report.  But they expect you to come and go within two hours and move on to the next one.  :roll:  Yeah right.  And they wonder why I have a four hour minimum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-18-2014 17:58
John,

I don't know how you guys do it for a living inspecting in a shop day in, day out week after week in the same place year after year. That would seriously drive me nuts.   In the field there's always something to do and new country to see every day.  Something I like to do when I get bored is to mark up welds to be cut out, or send a helper to chase  rattle snakes out of pipe and there's always the new hit drama series going on called "The Days Of Our Pipeliner".   And if your still bored well just use your imagination to entertain you. Just remember what you can do with a bunch of lemons.  Cheer up buddy it will get better.
Attachment: newcountry.JPG - new country (144k)
Attachment: rattlesnakewrangling.JPG - rattle snake wrangling (143k)
Attachment: cuttingweldsout.JPG - cutting welds out (206k)
Attachment: pullingthetrenchertolocation.JPG - pulling trencher to location (131k)
Attachment: AntiUTVtheftdevice.JPG - Anti UTV theft device (205k)
Attachment: Skidtheinspector.JPG - Skid the Chief Inspector (170k)
Attachment: Skiddrivingmearound.JPG - Skid driving me around (137k)
Attachment: Hehasnoideaheisabouttohaveashockingexper.JPG - He has no idea he is about to have a shocking expierence (98k)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 18:27
Monday I get to go back for a followup to make sure they added missing weld,  fixed/repaired the welds I had marked so the GC can pour the concrete on this level of framing. They used a 6" channel with shop applied studs for pour stop, and I found a few issues on Friday. After that, I am to train with another guy in the firm who is doing some QA work onsite for footings and foundation work. I will get busy in time, it is just a different pace than I'm used to. Waiting on folks to finish with a lift so I can use it and waiting on folks to finish up in an area so I can get in there and check out some of the field welding and what-not. Was UT'ing some full pen jonts and had to stop and get out of the way while they flew in mechanical units overhead to sit on the framing I was inspecting...LOL. Things like this is what I'm not used to having to deal with and it adds to my time when I want to get things looked at and get on to other things. I know I was complaining the other day, but I'll get accustomed to the new pace in which I have to get used to. It was nice not having ther erector and other trades working Friday and I could climb around at my pace and get it done without people being in my way or having to wait on an empty lift to use it.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 23:12
LOL hillbilly... just got a glimpse of those pics...funny stuff right there, thanks for sharing:cool:
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2014 06:54
Hope it made your day friend this Bud's for you.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-20-2014 12:05
Thanks buddy, it did :cool:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Field inspection, how do you guys do it?