Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / You want a challenge??
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 13:18
So, I have respect for all welding processes, all the tricky tests, mirrors, the little box and GTAW test. They seem tricky and even the ol' 7018 open root which I have tried several times and it is tricky but I have done it, not a master by no means.

If you want a challenge here's something you can try. Set yourself up a simple T joint in the vertical position. Now, hang yourself from a harness on a simple 12.5mm rope with your feet supporting you on some U-bolts, not the threaded end but the round end, the base of the U. Add in 5 degree temperatures to make it exciting with 20 mph winds. Begin your simple fillet weld, now here's the fun part. Your mount where your T joint is mounted, have somebody start moving it, simulating two guys higher up climbing around on the tower grinding and trying to remove horizontals and diagonals with force. The movement has to be sporadic, little wave motion, then big whipping motions all while under the hood and the movement completely unknown and unseen by you. Welds must pass visual AWS D1.1 standards. A simple T joint becomes a test of tests. I get my CWI and we start hiring welders, boy, do I have the test for them planned out!! Now add in the coax cable in the way, the ropes up the leg to the block, doing the corner joint with the diagonal bracing on your left, still wanting to use your strong arm(my right) because you need it to have that precision to counteract all of the variables being thrown at you. Your winds speed, must be variable. Add gusts, yes a gust that actually blows your body while your simulation man continues to wobble your work piece, then the wind stops momentarily.

Do all of this and be able to bang out almost 40 feet of weld in 7.5 hours. You want a challenge!!! Pushes my ability to not cuss to the limit at times. Running that perfect weld then suddenly the guys start repositioning and the tower begins to move(this tower is horrible, think popsicle stick tower at 190 feet tall). Strong winds and you literally can watch the top section whip in the wind, resonating that motion all the way down to your position.

Next time you do a saddle and branch, hang it from some rope after you get it tacked up and ready to weld, have two other pieces of rope tied to the rope supporting the pipe and let two guys pull on it variably as you weld. Ahhh, what we do for money!
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-19-2014 16:08
Still trying to "master" API 1104  test ......That's enough aggravation for me Shawn.........Hope your new career is keeping you happy,busy and a money maker.........
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-21-2014 10:45
Starting to make some money, got a big job we're working now finally. But this Yankee weather is for the birds....or not! It's not like welding anyplace else. I preheated everything the other day and started to weld then the snow storm came. Noticed that the weld started pinholing, could see odd puddles popping in the slag pool so stopped welding and called it. Snow was blowing right into the weld puddle. Luckily I keep a watchful eye, only had to grind out about 6-8 inches of weld the next day. Most aggravating part is being up in the north in winter trying to do this work. It's not like we can build a tent for our work area. Yesterday was 41 and it was great, today is teens??? Wind chill factor is somewhere around Dear God and Are you kidding??
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-21-2014 12:28
"It's not like we can build a tent for our work area."

Actually, you could. Look up Portaledge hanging tents. I've used them on cliff faces when rock climbing. Change in material (firecloth) etc, should be doable.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-21-2014 19:30
Sounds like a good idea aside from the flammability as you pointed out but occasionally I stay in one spot but most of the time we are there for a few minutes then on the move again to another side, up in height. I'm going to look into them and see though, maybe. Thanks for the info!

Shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-23-2014 01:17 Edited 01-23-2014 01:32
Shawn that is the idea eh?   Welding is boring and you wanted to make it more challenging!  I remember some of those hanging by a rope or a chain moments back in my early career and I wish to avoid them.  Not because I cannot but because it was a royal pain in the backside, just like avoiding mirror welds two or less inches off a wall.  I am sure you will come up with some Shawn Kelly strategies to those moments because you are a problem solving kind of guy.  The weather your dealing with is just terrible, the higher ya go the more wind etc. etc...  Right now your working on those procedures you will be teaching for the company later on down the road, knowing how you are you are already thinking of the 50mph wind, the wet scenario, the cold scenario...etc.  Good luck to ya, like you need it LOL, the welding why its moving thing is just a technique that I am sure you have got down 80% at least.   What has always helped me with that is just finding some way to brace off where I am moving with the structure.

Take care up there and no need to test lanyards....I am sure they are just fine and ready to do the job.
Tommy
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-23-2014 10:32
Haha! Yeah, its amazing how you can compensate when it gets to shaking or at least try to compensate or counteract the movement. I've braced off where I can but sometimes do the two handed stinger hold and concentrate on the rod tip and my movement(or the tower) then try and predict it. Wind is fairly easy to do as it is more, even? Consistent? The guys climbing around and shaking the tower just as you try to strike an arc(perfect timing, flip hood down, move in to strike arc on steady tower and then the chimpanzees start their fun).

Welded for about 5-6 hours yesterday in 0-8 degree weather. Sounds cold but not so bad......on the ground. High above the town above the wind barriers and that will cut you down. We came down and warmed up, went to welding supply and a few other places then came back and finished out the day in 8 degree weather with a slightly more aggressive wind. When we came down it was around 12 degrees. Odd how it actually did feel a bit warmer up there, other than the 10 odd shaped ice cubes in my boots!!

I am taking all of this and logging it into my brain for "testing". Sure, test a welder on your standard 3G/4G but then hang him off our mock tower in the shop and while he's welding give it a kick or a shake. See how they react while under the hood to sudden movement. Good for the welding and to test them at heights. Although we could use a taller tower in the shop. A 20 foot tower is nothing!

Going to keep at it, they are talking about shutting this job down for now. I joked around and told one guy we needed to tell the boss we were going to take off and when he asked until when we would reply, "Spring!". Now they are considering it! Only other choices I'm aware of though are in Northern Illinois and Kansas! At least the Kansas job is in south Kansas near Oklahoma but not sure if that means warmth or not!!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / You want a challenge??