Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Maximum fillet weld size and contour for B31.1 fillet welds
- - By pipes (**) Date 02-20-2014 21:19
I was hoping one of you could help me find the maximun fillet weld size allwoed during visual inspection of socket fittings using B31.1. I deal mostly with qualifications and very seldomly with production work so when my buddy called me with this question I was lost.

I found the minimum size with Figure 127.4.4 (C) and I found acceptence critera 127.4.4 and Fillet Weld Size Figure 127.4.4 (A). All of this info tells me the minimum fillet weld size that is acceptable for convex and concave welds, however, I am stuck looking for maximum weld size and acceptable concavity/convexity when welding socket fittings.

Am I overlooking somthing? I really appreciate the help!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-20-2014 22:19
Good luck with that. I know a couple of inspectors that are still looking for that very information.

Remember one important point; the codes typically list the minimum requirements based on safety and function, not on aesthetics.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-21-2014 00:25
Seems like this topic comes up fairly often and usually with all the same results, answer unknown.  Usually it is applied to D1.1 but the results are similar.  Codes deal with minimums as Al stated.  Maximums are often dealt with in terms of weld reinforcement, profile, and if you get an engineer involved-stresses.  Beyond that I don't know that many address a maximum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 02-21-2014 00:44
Thanks guys...I appreciate it. I guess it just baffles me that it's not there. It seems like a pretty significant stress related topic not to mention heat affected zones. Anyway, thanks again! -JJ
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-21-2014 02:24
Think about it this way, the weld size is a function of the allowable stress permitted for the weld. A weld that is larger than that specified by the designer means the unit stress in the weld is less than that permitted by the code, thus the weld is less likely to fail when subjected to a load. It is no different than using a 1/2 inch thick plate even though the designer specified a 1/4 inch thick plate.

Al
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 02-24-2014 20:50
That makes sense, thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Maximum fillet weld size and contour for B31.1 fillet welds