Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welders names on PQR- HELP
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-21-2014 16:50 Edited 02-21-2014 18:31
So I am in the middle of writing 4 PQR's for a company.  Now we just do the testing and write the paper work, we are not the field CWI that witness's the testing.  Anyways, the company will not give us the names of the welders.  They are making me find in the code where it states a welders name has to be put on the PQR. We are working off AWS D 17.1 and some other specs.  I tried to explain to them that the welder who did the PQR will be qualified to the procedure but they just keep making life difficult.  My boss told me to let it go and they will just get papers that say "welder 1" on them since they don't want to cooperate.  I told them if they ran into a scenario where a customer asked to see their PQR paper work they wouldn't have a welder listed who has worked or currently working for them listed.  Again it fell to deaf ears.

Can anyone site where this is so I can very politely and professionally EDIT: show them?

Thanks
Jordan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-21-2014 17:45
Jordan;

Refresh my memory, are you a CWI?

Al
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-21-2014 18:11 Edited 02-21-2014 18:56
yes sir, the closest I have found is in B2.1   section 4.3.16 which states the welder as a variable.  Im just looking for a lead on where to hunt for the wording I need.  Maybe I am wrong but  I cant see it not being a requirement.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-21-2014 19:05 Edited 02-21-2014 19:26
How do you answer the following question?  “How do you complete the paperwork if you have no direct knowledge the information is correct or accurate?”

A fundamental requirement of all the welding standards I have worked with is that the welder depositing the weld has to be employed by the contractor responsible for actually making the welds. Most of the codes and standards contain words to the effect that the welding of the test assembly cannot be subcontracted. The mechanical testing and any NDT may be subcontracted, but not the actual welding. That being the case, anyone associated with the  documenting the welding and testing of the test assembly or reviewing the documentation (in the case of a client) must be able to verify the welder was employed by the contractor at the time the welder welded the test assembly. Be wary of completing PQRs if you did not witness the assembly being welded. You may very well be placing your certification in danger. You could be very easily be violating the Code of Ethics that you agreed to abide by when you accepted your credentials from AWS.

Your employer stands to lose nothing if you are charged with a Code of Ethics breach, but you can lose your CWI credentials and possibly be banned from being a CWI for life.

All CWIs and SCWIs would do well to read the Code of Ethics in QC1. I ask you and every other CWI/SCWI the following question, "How do you know that you are not participating in a fraudulent activity by complete the WQTR or the PQR with information that may be entirely fictitious if you were not present when the test assembly was welded?"

Were that not the case, I would make a heck of a good living welding test coupons for my clients instead of witnessing the welding of the test coupons.

It is a standing policy in my company that I will not complete any paperwork for welding or work that I did not witness. If the client wants my signature and my stamp on the paperwork, I witness the actual welding of the test assembly. I verify who the welder is and I record all the test data. Have I turned away work because the customer simply wanted me to do the bend tests? No, but I simply send them a report for the bend tests that is a completely separate form from the WQTR. I do not complete a welder performance test report, I do not sign the WQTR, nor do I complete PQR forms or sign the PQR if I did not witness the welding. Do I lose some work to other testing labs? Probably, but my primary concern is that I maintain the integrity of the SCWI stamp I hold as well as my name and reputation. I do not want to join the multitudes of CWIs that have lost their CWI credential because they signed for work they had no direct knowledge of or control over or through ignorance participated in fraudulent activities. 

The fact that you asked the question is an indication you have some misgivings about what you are being asked to do. You already have a gut feeling that it is unethical. Your gut is usually right. You already know the answer to your question. Now for the hard part, telling your new employer that you cannot ethically do what you are asked to do. Now your employer finds out what you are made of. There is a chance he is testing you to see the strength of your character.

I once had the owner of a testing lab tell me he had to change my report before sending it to the client. "The owner doesn't want to hear that the structure is no up to code. They only want to hear the good stuff so they can move forward."

I told him that if I ever caught him changing my reports I would break his arm. My report went to the client as written and I refused to do any more work for the lab. In the years since, the lab has been caught filing soils reports before the ground was cleared, they were caught filing concrete test reports before the forms were up, and they were caught using a PE's stamp several months after the engineer had left the company. 

The best compliment I've received from a client was, "I might not like what you have to say, but I know it is your honest opinion and I can take it to the bank."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 02-21-2014 19:11
Al,
Did I ever tell you that YOU ROCK Al?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-21-2014 19:21
I was going to come back with a smart ass remark, but certain humorless, thinned skinned people might take offence. So, I'll just say thanks for the compliment and let it go at that.

Thanks Martin.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-21-2014 20:11
Al-
Thank you for the insight and guidance.  My mentor has pushed the same code of ethics on me as well since I started and that is why I asked the question.  Now I just preform the testing.  I don't sign the bottom of the paper work where it says "authorized by" and that all welding as been done according to a certain code.  I just place my stamp that the testing of the weld coupons was done according to the standard requested and sign above.  Some of these companies have in house CWI's who finalize and sign off on them.  I have always been outspoken against something that is morally wrong, or my gut has a bad feeling. 

How do you know that you are not participating in a fraudulent activity by complete the WQTR or the PQR with information that may be entirely fictitious if you were not present when the test assembly was welded?"
So for me to answer this, I just receive the weld samples, I test them according to the code chosen by the customer.  I do the required testing, and I sign and stamp that the TESTING was completed according to said code or standard.  We leave the rest of the form blank for the authorization to be signed by whoever is in charge of their program.

now to fill out my paper work I need the welders name.  I was asked to find where in the code it says the welders name HAS to be on the paper and not just the Companies name.

Is how I described what I do and what I am doing ethically wrong?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-21-2014 20:59
It sounds reasonable. You are signing for the tests you perform and nothing more.

How do you identify the samples in your test report? That sounds like the quandary you are facing. I have no easy answer. That's why I don't place the information on the "blank" welder performance test record. I use a separate report that identifies the sample based on the project number/sample number. I leave it up to the contractor to transfer the information to the welder performance test report and it is up to the contractor to correlate the sample number with the appropriate welder.

The client can list the name of the laboratory and the job number on the welder performance test report, but my signature and stamp appears no where on the welder performance test report. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-21-2014 21:31
Al-

We do the same thing.  I have separate reports for each job I perform, one for Macro, Bends, Tensile etc...  On those I stamp and sign.  Now when I get a welder qual I stamp the above portion about the testing and sign.  To track the samples I mechanically etch the initials of the welder, the processing number of the job, the position, and if there is room, the alloy. 

Now as for the name of the welder and it being required.  Do you know where I can cite that information?

Thanks as always AL

Jordan
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-22-2014 18:23 Edited 02-23-2014 21:41
"Stupid is as stupid does."

First of all, I will not enter any information on a WQTR or PQR form unless I witnessed the actual welding of the coupon. How do I know who's name or what other information will be added by the contractor after I signed it?

We had a CWI in our area (a welding salesperson) that gave a contractor a blank WQTR that he signed and stamped. Everyone in his facility and everyone working as a subcontractor became "certified" overnight. No test required!

Any contractor that is going to argue that it isn't necessary to include the welder's name or ID on the PQR or the WQTR is one that I would distance myself from. In other words, I would send them to a competitor because they are bad news in the long run.

Good luck.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welders names on PQR- HELP