Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Endorsement Exam Insight
- - By alstonwelding (*) Date 12-18-2013 15:53
Hello Everyone,
If there anyone out there that has taken the ASME Section IX, B31.1, and B31.3 Endorsement Exam, I sure would appreciate any advice or insight you might be able to give me before I sat for the exam in March 2014. I will also be taking the D1.2 Endorsement Exam on the same day.

Thanks...
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2013 18:06
I've taken those endorsements. That's big mouthful to swallow in one gulp!

Al
Parent - - By alstonwelding (*) Date 12-18-2013 18:47
Do you mean taking the ASME and the D1.2 on the same day? I work with the ASME Sections everyday, I just don't have a clue on what type of questions I will see. I feel okay about everything but the Design Calculations. I'm not sure how much of that subject matter they will expect a CWI to be fluent in. I feel comfortable with the Fabrication, Inspection, Qualification and Material portions. If you could give me any insight into how much Design Calculation I can expect to see, I would appreciate it.
Parent - - By alstonwelding (*) Date 12-18-2013 19:06
It sure would be nice if the AWS provide a little more guidance. If it comes down to it, I will just have to take a try at it, even if it lumps me up. I will be more wiser on the next attempt. Depending on how much Design Calculations you say I may see, I may have to try to have one of our engineers work with me on a few of them.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2013 23:24
There will be no design calculations.

You will be asked t look up specific information. It is a navigation test to see if you are familiar with the layout of the code and where specific information is located. You need to understand P numbers, A numbers, and F numbers. You have to determine what preheat temperature is required and whether post weld heat treatment is necessary. You will need to know how to calculate the time at temperature when PWHT is required. You will have to determine the thickness range a WPS is qualified for based on the test material thickness.

It isn't difficult if you are familiar with the architecture of the ASME codes and where one can find specific information. Time is your enemy.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By alstonwelding (*) Date 12-19-2013 13:08
Thanks Al,
This information will really help me. It has also helped my confidence that I can pull this off; now that I have some clear direction on how to prepare. I will be sure to keep you posted on how I do. Thanks again....
- - By alstonwelding (*) Date 01-07-2014 16:51
Hello Al,
As you know the ASME Code Endorsement (Section IX, B31.1, & B31.3) will have questions for the various code books that deals with Material and Design, Fabrication, Inspection, and Qualifications. I have been looking over the Design Chapters of B31.1 & B31.3 and I would like to ask you several questions.

Is it fair for me to assume that  as it pertains to B31.1 and Chapter II /Design, that most of any questions on the exam dealing with design will come out of Part 6 / 122-Design Requirements  Pertaining To Specific Piping Systems?  All of the other Parts of this Chapter appear it will require Design Calculation using the Code supplied formulas to obtain a full answer to any questions.

As it pertains to B31.3 and Chapter II/ Design, is it fair to assume that most of the questions from this chapter will come from Part 3-Fluid Service Requirements for Piping Components, Part 4-Fluid Service Requirements for Piping Joints,, Par 6-Specific Systems?

I will obviously have more questions as I continue to study the information covered in these Chapters. Any insight and advice you could give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks…
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-07-2014 18:51
I has been a while since I sat for that endorsement examination.

I can tell you that there are no design calculations involved. There will be definitions that you need to be familiar with so you know what they are asking you. However, all the questions are "look-up" questions where you need to navigate the code to find the correct response.

For example: What is the minimum preheat for an SA106 that is 2 inches thick?
                    What is the required stress relief temperature for a joint between to pieces of 8 inch schedule 120 A53?
                    What is the hold time at the required stress relief temperature of 8 inch schedule 120 A53?
                    How many Charpy V-notch specimens is needed for a welded joint between two lengths of 8 inch schedule 120 A53?
                    What is the allowable stress for 8 inch schedule 120 A53 if the operating temperature is 600 degrees F.
                    Which of the following fittings can be used if the fluid service is identified as being "High Pressure?"

The questions are not the type that would require one to calculate the wall thickness of the pipe based on operating temperature and pressure.

There will be a number of questions pertaining to Section IX dealing with procedure and performance qualification.

Best regards - Al
- By alstonwelding (*) Date 01-08-2014 18:06
Thanks a lot Al.
This information will be very helpful to me as I prepare for the exam. The AWS offers no information or guidance for prepping for this exam. If there is anything you think I can ever help you with, just say the word.
Thanks again...
- By alstonwelding (*) Date 03-10-2014 12:21
Hi Al,
I wonted to thank you again for any insight/advice you gave me in regards to the ASME Section IX, B31.1, & B31.3 Code Endorsement Exam. I sat for the exam this past Saturday. I felt like I was maybe even over prepared in a since. The exam almost didn't feel as tough as I thought it would be. Although I wouldn't wont to be the guy that did not prepare for something like this. For all I know , I could have got my back side kicked even if it didn't feel like it. I will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks.......
- - By alstonwelding (*) Date 03-28-2014 13:00
I passed my endorsement exam  with a score of 92%.
Next up is API 570 and SCWI.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-28-2014 13:09
Great job! Congrats on your passing grade.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Endorsement Exam Insight