Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "R" Stamp
- - By swsweld (****) Date 03-19-2014 01:47
Any advice on getting an "R" stamp from the National Board?
I'll be helping my friend get it for his new company. He has the manual…and the check for $4690.00.
We'll be starting from scratch but not going into it without many years in the industry.
I know we'll need the codes of  construction for intended industry, latest NBIC, a mock-up, written policy and proof of implementation of the policy upon the Review of the Facility.

http://www.nationalboard.org/SiteDocuments/Stamps%20and%20Marks/NB-415.pdf
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-19-2014 04:11
Make sure you have your WPS/PQR or SWPS that supports your mockup. And of course your qualified welder.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-20-2014 02:51
Thanks Gerald,
Good point. That would be an expensive mistake if that was overlooked and the AI was on your nickel. We had planned on doing 1 PQR this week but not sure if he will have time or not.
I'm headed out next Tuesday for 1 month so I hope to get it done (PQR) by then.
Also, the NB/AI will provide drawings to fab the mock-up after the "R" Stamp request is made, hope that it is P-1 materials or at least something rather generic, not exotic.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-19-2014 12:09
Get a copy of NB-57 from the National Board. Its the template they use to audit. Its a free download on their site.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-20-2014 04:03
Thanks for that link js55, that really breaks it down.
The owner said he has a QM and will send it to me electronically for review. I can then compare it to the NB-57 guide.
Hopefully, when I return in 5 weeks, we can get things going in the shop for the AI.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 12:07
The very first boiler code program I ever put together, when I knew nothing, was for the U, PP, S, and R certificates. I followed NB-57 paragraph by paragraph, and addressed every issue. Sailed through the survey with no findings.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-19-2014 19:48
Here's an article written by Professor Emeritus Carl "Carlisle" Smith of West Virginia University who frequently writes articles in The Fabricator magazine...He's probably retired by now, or still teaches there and is currently busy performing Welding Inspection and Consulting... I haven't personally kept in touch with him as of late but, he's one of the best and most experienced educators that I have come across in my 40 years of welding and fabricating and I have collaborated with many in my career...

This article he wrote may be of some use for you since he does basically cover the necessary steps required in order to become an authorized ASME code shop (a term used by many in the fabrication industry instead of the more formal “authorized shop”)... Hopefully this will help along with such expert advice given by Js55 and my other friend, Pipewelder_1999.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/building-your-first-asme-code-vessel-start-to-finish

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-20-2014 02:10
Henry,
That article was very helpful.
I'll forward it to the owner as well, in case he doesn't fully know the drill. I'm sure that he has a fair understanding though. But the article makes it very clear and anyone can relate to the scenario in the article that's been in Code shops and Code environment for a while.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "R" Stamp