Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Overlap.......... here's a pretty "in your face" example
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-17-2014 22:30
Hello folks, just did a WABO test the other day and came up with a pretty pronounced case of "overlap" thought that some of you would appreciate the image. I have been at this for quite some time and I do believe this is one of the most extensive examples that I have put my eye balls on. The majority of the plate actually looked pretty good, that is, until the gentleman went to put the cover passes on. Had to look this one out, although I always go ahead and cut and bend them anyway just to give the tester an idea of how the rest of the weld performed. This was a vertical plate and the welding was performed within parameters. I personally feel, however, that he was at the lower end of the voltage and the upper end of wire speed in this instance. Hope you find this interesting. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-17-2014 22:58
A smaller size for those with smaller monitors :cool:
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-17-2014 23:55
Sorry John, would you believe that I wanted to make sure that you could see the defect? Well, it was worth a try anyway wasn't it?
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 03-18-2014 00:55
EYE WAY!  Must have had some major test jitters! 

Thanks for the pic... ought to be published in a reference book somewhere, great image of overlap.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-19-2014 09:19
Did you happen to get a face view photo before the cutting of the coupon? I really like real photos , the one in B1.11 are vague.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2014 15:23 Edited 03-19-2014 15:40
Hello Martin, I do have the ability to take a picture of the face of this piece, yet it has been ground down in order for me to fit the plates together to perform the sawing of the coupon pieces. He ended up exceeding the allowable reinforcement on the face in excess of the 1/8" limit. WABO also has a statement regarding starting and terminating weld joints in a manner which insures sound welding practices, in other words, the starting and ending portions of the weld groove need to be completely filled. In this case they were not.

I usually stack the vertical and overhead plates together and tack them at each end in the center before sawing. This allows me to efficiently and accurately cut the appropriate location of the test coupons and to the correct thickness, generally 1/32" over 3/8" to allow for finish sanding. Hope this explains things a bit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 03-19-2014 16:34
Allan - Do you not use run off tabs for testing or did this welder just elect not to?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2014 17:50
Hello Blaster, we have an inch of backing bar extending past each end of the plates. No, we do not use the "wings" that I have heard of some using if that is what you are referring to. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-19-2014 22:20
I do run off tabs the same as you do Allan, I believe that it reduces handicaps in actual production.
Thanks for the views of the weld face.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Overlap.......... here's a pretty "in your face" example