Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding for the natural gas boom
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-19-2014 20:09
Here's an interesting article I read and decided it was worth discussing in this section since it isn't solely referring to inspection... And I did get a kick out of the question given to promote interest in this article...

"The natural gas boom in parts of the U.S. is creating work for shops and many displaced workers in these areas. Do you know which codes and standards apply?"

So enjoy the read and feel free to comment so that we can discuss this topic further.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/welding-for-the-natural-gas-boom

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-19-2014 22:05
Thank you much for the interesting read on the natural gas boom.  As always, you go above and beyond the call of duty, and your efforts are appreciated.

I was made aware of this boom by someone at GE that asked me to consider applying for a job at a company they just bought.

At this time, relocation is not a highly desirable option for me, but perhaps there are others that might be interested.

The location is Shertz, Texas which is near San Antonio.  They make compressor hardware, and they are hiring.

Google "job title"+GE to get to the GE Careers website listing.  Actually, there are hundreds of jobs all over the world, but Shertz, TX has the natural gas related gigs.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 03:39
Wow, I actually feel pretty good right now. I read the whole article shaking my head saying, "yep", "yep". I guess it's good to see I am remembering what I have learned over the years. Good reading though nonetheless.

Shawn
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 12:19
He isn't kidding. Implementing an API 1104 program in a fab shop is no easy task. It is not geared for that environment. It can be done but its odd, and expensive. But I think the hardest part about it is adjusting the thinking of the people involved. Not just the shop people but the customers as well, who are actually remarkably ignorant, and not meaning that necessarily disparagingly.
The world of API is a different world than ASME, as with AWS. Adjusting the thinking to understand what is intended is quite an adjustment.
I have spent most of my career n ASME boiler code and pressure piping codes, and then secondarily the AWS D1 codes. Now I find myself right smack dab in the middle of the frac boom and its all API 1104 with B31.4 and 8 tossed in. Not to mention Parts 192 and 195 for extra fun. Its been an adjustment.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-20-2014 12:56
Wait until you have to deal with the whims of a PHMSA inspector.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 13:18
I have not as yet experienced that pleasure.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-20-2014 17:12
js have fun
I will not do that any more
asme, api or aws
NO thank you
I do better than code, but dealing with code people
NO thank you
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-21-2014 16:35
Good read, Henry.

It all sounds familiar. I'm wondering why b31.3 wasn't mentioned? A lot of the high pressure stuff we did here in Colorado was xrayed b31.3.

It makes sense too, and goes with the article you posted. There were so many guys showing up to work, and butchering the pipe end of it. Lots of accidents and breakdowns, due to bad 1104 welds.....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding for the natural gas boom