Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Not pre-qualified
- - By BIGBOB (*) Date 05-05-2014 19:45
I want to qualify for GMAW-S, Stainless steel. I will use a material specification ASTM A240 (plate) welded to the same. If I pass does this qualify me for any other material specifications other than just the ASTM A240? Same for filler metal, if I use a filler from AWS A5.9 does it qualify me to use any AWS A5.9 filler? I am not using a helium based cover gas, that is why I am having to take a PQR.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-05-2014 20:06
BigBob

The code man... What code?

Throw us a bone :)

Procedure qual ?

Performance Qual ?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-05-2014 21:53
You've been boned! What do you want?

Al :cool:
Parent - - By BIGBOB (*) Date 05-06-2014 11:44
Sorry about that, it was a very convoluted afternoon yesterday! The Code is D9.1 Sheet Metal Code. I am taking a GMAW-S procedure qualification and but now I am trying to figure out what the qualification ranges would be for base metals and filler metals. If passed using material spec. ASTM A240, what other base metals does this qualify for? Same with filler metals, if I use spec. AWS A5.9, class. 308LSi filler what other fillers are qualified?

Thanks.
Parent - - By Newjersey Date 05-06-2014 17:46
Bob, I haven't used D9.1 in many years and only have a D9.1-90 book but D9.1 -3.3.1 Base Metal A change from one of the following base metal groups to another, or a change to a weld between dissimilar metals requires a separate qualification.
1- Carbon steel with 0.30 % max. carbon and 0.50 % max chromium
2- High strength, low alloy steels
3- Chromium and chromium alloys
4- Copper and copper alloys
5 Nickel and nickel alloys
6- Aluminum and aluminum alloys

and 3.3.5 - A change in filler metal "F" number requires re-qualification
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-07-2014 12:03 Edited 05-07-2014 12:15
Per D9.1:2012 (itis almost the same as Newjersey posted)
for Procedure Qualification
5.3.1 Base Metals.
"A change from one of the following base metal groups to another, or a change to a weld between dissimilar metals, requires separate qualification:
1- Carbon steel with 0.30 % max. carbon and 0.50 % max chromium
2- High strength, low alloy steels
3- Chromium and chromium-nickel stainless steels
4- Copper and copper alloys
5- Nickel and nickel alloys
6- Aluminum and aluminum alloys
7- Titanium and titanium alloys."

and 3.3.5
"A change in filler metal "F" number requires re-qualification (see Annex A, Table A.1"
It looks like all A5.9 fillers are F6, and your ASTM A240 would fall under item 3 above.

Strictly speaking, you could qualify your combination of base metals and filler with the ASTM A240 and 308LSi, and be within the code for almost any austenetic base and filler.  You mention A240, which is fine, but there are about a jillion grades(alloys) that can be had in this spec.  Same goes for the A5.9/F6 category, there are a ton of wires that fall under this category.  Probably wouldnt be too hard to find a base/filler combo that meets code, but would fail miserably under welding/service conditions.
Parent - By BIGBOB (*) Date 05-07-2014 19:31
Thanks so much for the input. D9.1 leaves a lot to the imagination as far as welder qualification ranges too. I agree with your statement that there could be dozens of base/filler combos that would be considered to code under D9.1, at least the way I read it they would!

Bob
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Not pre-qualified