Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A New Welding Shield? The optrel "weldcap"
- - By Josephp (**) Date 05-04-2014 13:07
Surfing around located the following welding shield, the weldcap.

optrel weldcap CEO introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PSY8L3Itk&list=UUFSuHXoRoAettc7pnOkk10w

Look's comfortable

http://www.optrel.com/index.php?id=302&L=1

Regards

Joseph
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-04-2014 14:14
that looks really interesting. I've actually been thinking of something different than your typical "welding helmet" for awhile now but don't have the financial ability of Optrel to make something happen!

Welding outside I've began to hate seeing myself in the lens again instead of my weld. I wonder how this works to reduce that in the sunlight. Looks very lightweight. I will definitely be checking with the Optrel dealer/welding supply up in the big city to see if they have one to try on.

It's good to see a company break away from tradition, throw caution to the wind as the welding helmet has not had any real change in how many years? I mean significantly in overall design/shape, not talking about the instant lens.

Shawn
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 05-04-2014 17:11
Looks interesting.  Might be a good option for use where hard hats aren't required. With the Lens close to the eyes, I have to wonder about resistance to fogging.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 05-06-2014 11:53
Breathing looks like an issue.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 05-06-2014 21:23
It looks like a paintball mask... for welding... Awesome!
They make little fans that keep paintball goggles from fogging (and your glasses if you have them too...)  Might work out for that setup.
Parent - By valeria Date 05-07-2014 09:18
I think my dad will definitely love it.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-07-2014 09:34
It doesn't look sturdy enough to last without constantly replacing parts... Whoops! My bad - That's their repeat business engineered into the design.:surprised::eek::grin::smile::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::twisted::wink::cool::cool::cool:

I would purchase one of the other Optrels that have been proven to last for some time already as opposed to a new design that IMHO, frankly doesn't excite me at all.:sad::red::roll::eek::surprised::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-11-2014 21:39
I have used Optrell Auto Lens in my Pipeliner hood for over 10 years ! They are Second to NONE. Not sure about this "Cap". Maybe it would work for Shop Work. I don't see it doing well in the Field
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-12-2014 23:06
True that. No better electronic lenses than Optrel. I use one for tacking expanded metal and that's about it. I use a pipeliner with the rubber and various gold or green lenses same as always for everyday. I put my money in stickers. That's where you get yer quality weld.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-14-2014 20:34
odd, I personally was never a fan of the optrel hoods and instead had good luck with the lincoln electric and miller hoods. Have had them for years without going bad.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A New Welding Shield? The optrel "weldcap"