Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Another Therapy device
- - By Superflux (****) Date 05-10-2014 02:31 Edited 05-10-2014 02:37
I enjoy long range shooting with both long and (mostly) short barrelled guns. My preferred choices are a scoped T/C Contender 10" 30-30, and a Super RedHawk 9-1/2" iron sight in .44 mag.
It is relaxing for me because to shoot a LARGE caliber handgun in the off hand position at ranges up to 500 yards (I never said with what degree of accuracy!) requires one to be... relaxed, clear of distraction and focused on the task at hand.
I did not get my scheduled time off on my last R&R and was recalled (back to HELL!!!) to wrap up a project due to another team member dragging up.
Consequently I did not get everything checked off the list.
I did however get to build a new forge and am hoping to get some therapy time in with heat, hammer, anvil and red iron in a few weeks.
Got the call to return to work the morning after this "Test Firing".

Attachment mode not operational. I'll try later for the foto.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 05-10-2014 15:48
A T/C is next on the wish list for me.  They look like a neat firearm.  I've been to busy stocking up with zombie killers lately to buy any plinkers.  But fathers day is just around the corner. . .:cool::cool::lol:
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2014 09:22
vagabond,

I've probably owned over a hundred firearms over the years, and have a well rounded collection representing a gun for most situations.
If I were to have to have only one, It would be the T/C. I have 10" 30/30 and .44 mag, and a .223 14". It is a fun piece and has been with me for 30 years now.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-10-2014 17:26
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2014 01:59
Henry, I enjoyed the 10 big guns article.
I have one of them...
I do not shoot it much because ammo runs $2-$4 a whack off the shelf and it is even fairly expensive to reload.
The .460 XVR is almost a .45-70 in a pistol. But S&W engineers have done a fine job of taming recoil at the expense of decibels and a muzzle blast the size of a German Shepard.
Attachment: SW460shrunk.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2014 02:06
Any ways, back to the OP of smithing.
I truly enjoy making dookickies out of Iron.
Old files make flint strikers for Mtn Man reenactors and excellent knives.
For large blades and throwing knives, I use 5160... leaf springs from rear axles.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-11-2014 02:41
Very nice weapon er, therapy device!:eek::grin::surprised::smile::lol::yell::lol::wink::cool:

Leaf springs are an excellent choice for for knife blades indeed... That's a cool looking "cooker" you have there... Very nice!:surprised::grin::lol::cool::cool::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2014 09:40
Henry,

They are all just "therapeutic tools" and game grabbers.
Can't wait to get back home and start banging on some iron. It is good for the welder/boilermaker in me to get back to the fundamentals of iron working.
There is a whole different science and art to maintaining and using a coal fired forge. Kinda stinky at first, but clears up a bit after you get coke made and a clean fire.
We've also had a heavy snow pack this year and that means a great white water rafting season awaits me. More therapy!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-12-2014 11:24
Rafting and cutthroat trout.  You're lucky to have that in your backyard.
Enjoy your therapy.
Tyrone
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-12-2014 19:27
I do when I can.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 05-12-2014 20:29
Just curious more than anything, why do you prefer coal fired forging to gas?  Other than the obvious nostalgic, cool factor.  :cool:
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-13-2014 03:32
The forge took an evening to weld together, cost virtually nothing to build (all scrap metal) except for the $8 hair dryer and $12 dimmer switch.
When I first started out, I worked in a Coal mine that allowed employees to have free coal. Consequently my shop was heated by coal and made a forge too.
I can go to a coal dump and pick out my nice Obsidian looking, hard, shiny lumps and the #1 reason is... IT IS CHEAP!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Another Therapy device