Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding on Galvanized metal Test Data??
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2014 18:38
Ok, I have a question, quarry.

I want to know if anybody has seen any data, testing done on galvanized metal. Here is what I am looking at. I know some "welders" think and do the old "use a 6010 and burn it out" trick then run a 7018 over the 6010. Maybe they wire wheel the 6010 or maybe they just use the chipping hammer and a wire brush if we are lucky. I prefer the grind the galvanizing off of the weld, especially when the engineer and owner of the structure specifically mentions doing so. For two reasons, (A) Galvanized coating looks an awful lot like contamination to me and (B) I absolutely hate getting the skin seared off my legs and arms when these molten blobs drip onto me.

The data I am looking for, most likely not anything out there tested like this because the lab guy I deal with all the time said, "all of the tests we have done have been ground properly and galvanized removed".

So, in a non perfect world I am wondering if there is any test data where somebody said, "I wonder what the micro structure looks like? I wonder what the tensile tests and x-rays would reveal?". I am surely not the first guy to ponder this question and I am almost positive that somebody somewhere has done tests to prove that welding directly over galvanized steel is....bad mojo.

If I have a few thousand dollars laying around or my own personal lab I would like to run some tests. Three sets of test plates, all galvanized and beveled as per AWS D1.1. First test plate would be run properly, 7018, uphill, galvanized coating removed, backing strip. Second set, galvanized coating in place and run a 7018 uphill over the galvanized, backing strip. Third test plate, 6010 downhill(or 6011 as it seems some prefer, can you say Farm Code? Has our Farm Code been published yet???), remove the slag with a wire wheel, ideally or with a wire brush the fill the remaining with 7018 uphill. For the last two tests to be accurate the backing strips would also have to be galvanized to accurately portray real world situations.

I guess my question to the American Welding Society would be, do you have some free time to run some tests? I would like to see results of something like this so show "weldors" that they are in fact weakening the weld? Am I correct in presuming this? I see galvanizing as contamination, molten metal from two members with the filler rod and now add in molten zinc? Will the molten zinc boil off? It appears to me that when I have done it on one particular job several years ago that it mixes with the filler metal and base metal causing a silvery weld bead. Is there porosity in the weld? Underneath the very code worthy visual? Other than the fact that you can definitely see the silver from where it was obviously welded over galvanized? X-rays, tensile tests, images of the micro structure compared to a properly welded plate with galvanizing removed?

Maybe its not hypercritical as some would be lead to believe or in their infinite metallurgical experience(being a smart azz) they know better because "Daddy did it all the time on the farm".

Now, I guess I am looking for well educated replies, information to back up said replies not some "it'll be alright" type of dribble.

Thanks to all and if there is no data, AWS? Would you mind doing an article on this in the journal?

Shawn
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 05-28-2014 19:18 Edited 05-28-2014 19:21
I would like to know more on this too.

When welding on Galvy w/ and F3 group electrode it has always appeared to me that the coating is burning back from the puddle, ahead of the arc... but it would be interesting to know.

We do WABO galvanized sheet certification tests from time to time... it is just a T joint, a 16 gauge galvanized sheet riser (3" x 6" long) to a 3/8 uncoated plate.  The welds looks perfectly fine and a single pass of 1/8" 6010 or 6011 beats the galvy sheet during the fillet weld break test every time, even after beating the sheet down hard with a sledge.  But obviously the sheet is comparatively flimsy and isn't capable of putting much of a load on the weld during the break test.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2014 19:28
I ran some single pass fillet weld tests some 20 years ago on 1/2 inch thick hot dipped galvanized plates. The galvanize was left in place and welded with E7018. When sectioned, polished and etched, there was evidence of zinc along the grain boundaries at the toe of the weld.

It has been my experience that much of the welding on galvanized material consisted of single pass fillet welds. It would be difficult to replicate the conditions encountered when depositing single pass fillet welds using a grooved plate and multiple weld beads.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 05-28-2014 21:27
I've observed the same thing on an etched fillet weld on galvanized plate. The trouble also lies in that if the zinc isn't removed prior to joining the parts no amount of cleaning will remove the zinc from the root or just behind the root of the joint. I am not a fan of inspecting welding on galvanized steel, it's always a compromise even when the welder cleans the joint as best they can.

Ramon
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2014 22:54
I would like to see what I believe is Shawn's question, has anyone taken the expense to have some samples tensile tested?  That would be the real test. 

My personal belief/experience is that welds on zinc covered material come out brittle.  Not sure if it is hydrogen cracking issues or the zinc alloy or other contaminants that end up in the weld due to the zinc.  Whatever the source, they always seem to be brittle and snap easily.  But how do they stand up to tensile and yield tests?

Sounds like a great research project.  For someone with money available. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2014 23:19
Good point Al. By the time you do plate tests you'll burn out the galvy for the most part on consecutive passes. Shouldn't be to hard to do though, lap joint is the typical application used in the arena I am talking about along with fillet welds. Or a piece of .187 wall or .250 plate could be used, single bevel or something to do a one time fill on it with a backing strip so only one pass needed to be made. I know one weld I fixed for another guy needed to be ground out in a one inch area. When I started grinding the deeper in got and the farther I got it was full of porosity. Now, part of it might have been the fact that he was trying to fill WAY to much in one pass but it also still had the galvanizing on it.

If the AWS would like to perform these tests and would like to chat, my info is in my profile. I can't afford to do it to educate folks on what they should be doing correctly anyhow. I think it would help though for non welders if there was some definitive proof or test results showing that it in fact causes the weld to become brittle, weak, etc.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 10:13
Wow!! Thanks Henry!!

As soon as I have a spare minute I'm going to sit down and begin reading this stuff.

Shawn
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-29-2014 00:01 Edited 05-29-2014 00:08
Lincoln Electric has some real data on the matter. I've read it but I'm too busy right now to remember, or search for, where.

There is galvanizing and then there is galvanizing.

There are applications and then there are applications.

My flagpole is made of galvanized pipe and so is the pipe under the Kids basketball goal. No grinding was used : )

But pipe racks on the roof of large billion $ plants with many miles of piping, all ground off.

That galv was very, very thick. I spent the most part of 4 months making repairs to pipe slides/glides/anchors that were trying to weld thru the very heavy layer of zinc. Slow, poor work, but paying the rate.
Thin layers of zinc burn off ahead of a 6010 or FC wire for the most part. Heavy ones don't even come close to burning off.

So like most things in life, it depends. I won't spend 30 seconds grinding zinc off a guardrail but I'll spend many hours doing it in a different application.

There is really no universal answer to your question. As always, contract docs rule the day. Lacking those, suitability to the task at hand is the bottom line.

J

I've been on several jobs (again, billion $ plants) where the Iron Workers ran single pass fillet welds on galvanized cross bracing (outside, large ductwork support maybe 150' high, 6' and 8' ductwork on cleanroom air systems) with either 211 or 212 wire and no grinder was in site. Very heavily engineered jobsites.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 01:08 Edited 05-29-2014 01:11
A quick review of the literature Henry provided via his links provided some interesting contradictions.

One article seemed to say there was no "real" problems with welding galvanized materials and mentioned metal fume fever had no long lasting affects on the welder. Speaking with 40 plus years experience I would tend to disagree with both points. I agree that electroplated galvanized materials is thin enough that most of the zinc is volatized. HDG is a different story. Metal fume fever; I experienced it more than once and the last time happened when welding metal decking inside a closed are (renovation project). Now I only need a small exposure to zinc to bring on the aches and pains associated with MFF.

The second article states the zinc is rejected to the centerline of the weld bead during welding. I believe that is solute rejection and it is associated with centerline cracking. One article says the zinc is volatized, the second says it is rejected to the centerline of the weld.

The Galvanizer's Association recommends removing the zinc for up to four inches from the weld joint.

The controversy continues.

My position is considered to be conservative; I remove the galvanize from the joint, but then those that say I'm overly cautious are not the people behind the welding helmet.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-29-2014 06:01
Al
well put
if you do not mind, I am going to sit in your camp on this one
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 12:58 Edited 05-29-2014 13:22
Good to know Kent.

How are you these days?

It is a beautiful spring day here in New England. I have a sample to prepare for etching, so I better be moving along.

As for a test assembly used to qualify a WPS: I would suggest a square groove with backing. One could set it up in the same manner as depicted for the Fillet Weld Test offered as Option 2 in D1.1-2010, Figure 4.33.  I would use hot dip galvanized plate and backing. A good wire brushing is all I would recommend for precleaning. After all, the galvanizing must be intact in the groove if the test is to be valid. One could remove the necessary reduced section and guided bend specimens if the assembly is long enough, that is increase the length to accommodate the test samples. I would be surprised if the sample passed the RT requirements. I suspect the majority of the problems to be localized in the root area of both the fillet welds that are deposited first, that is before the remaining "V-groove" is welded. I believe the arrangement depicted is a fair representation of the majority of welds made on HD galvanized material.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-30-2014 01:21
I second Kent's sentiments, I side with Al here.

There are some interesting reads in Henry's links but they tend to contradict one another as you read through most of them.  And none really gave a definitive research based report, just opinions. 

While I agree it can be successfully done, at the end of the day JT brought it together very well: "There is galvanizing and then there is galvanizing.
There are applications and then there are applications."  As well as his summary "There is really no universal answer to your question. As always, contract docs rule the day. Lacking those, suitability to the task at hand is the bottom line."

The applicable codes and the contract documents for the job at hand are the only determining factor.  Beyond the scope of those, the Farm Code probably could be applied without negative results. 

Porosity and other discontinuities can be non-relevant indications on a job where no acceptance/rejection criteria is of consideration.  And especially if it is not critical to public safety.  As in JT's examples, basketball hoop poles, private property flag poles, etc.  (Not that JT's welds had any discontinuities, but, if they or those of others did have)

I would still like to see some good sound research done from material purchasing with documented HDG thickness, welding procedures followed, process used, inspected for in process acceptance of all welding parameters and Table 6.1 acceptance during all passes, and finally tensile, yield, and other tests to document successful completion. 

All of that is not required for all projects.  It is for my personal interest/curiosity and future teachable moments with documented science behind the 'opinion'. 

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 01:05
As I have always maintained that whatever I put up for posting in here is to be taken for what it's worth, and not to be construed as the final word(s) of any discussion.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-30-2014 01:23
Nothing ascribed as bad on your part from me Henry.  I appreciate the various reads from the sources given.  It was interesting. 

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 02:52
I didn't think that either Brent...
I'm just putting up my disclaimer so to speak as a reminder to anyone who may misunderstand my intentions for posting such links.

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 02:33 Edited 05-30-2014 02:36
In the end, someone has to make a decision with regards to whether it is necessary to remove the zinc before welding or to leave it in place and "burn" through it. Reading through the links provided by Henry provides the reader with the thoughts of other people that have expressed their opinions on the subject. As pointed out be Brent, there are contradictions in the literature, but isn't that true with many things in life?

Generally, the more we read on a subject, the better understanding we have for the subject being studied. Hopefully the literature we study is based on first hand knowledge and research rather than simple conjecture and opinion. That appears to be a deficiency in this instance. The welding processes we use in structural fabrication are generally SMAW, FCAW, SAW, and for limited applications; GTAW.  Maybe we can get Henry to use his magic fingers and unmatched skills to search for more links that address HDG and the processes we most frequently encounter.

"There is galvanizing and then there is galvanizing." I like that. It is so understated.

As for my position when engineers ask for an opinion when some contractor stakes a position that removing the zinc before welding is a waste of time, I defer to the code and say, "Let them qualify their WPS with the zinc intact." It is amazing how quickly the contractor agrees to remove the HDG.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 09:48
I guess I am looking for definitive knowledge to educate myself so when out on a job where it specifies, "grind galvanized" I can produce data or reference something to explain to the "weldor" or other why it is required(besides saying, "the owner said so), what it does(if bad), what it could cause(if bad). I grind the junk, as stated before welding you get burned now and again, welding over galvanized I have severe scars from molten blobs and people who say, "just weld over it".

Also highly curious as to what it is actually doing, so far lots of input and yes, I understand the difference JT mentioned, heck, I still grind it off it I have scrap here at home I'm using for my projects, back to one of my key points, I don't want to get seared like a steak or breathe in that funky junk for that matter. :-)
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-30-2014 13:23
I'm in the process of qualifying a sheet metal procedure for GMAW-P of galvanealed sheet. I've had to break off in the middle to work on other projects, but the preliminary testing I've done with Hobart's "Fab-Core F6" metal cored filler metal shows a great improvement over typical ER70S-6 and S-3 wire. This combined with a 1-2mm root gap has almost eliminated the porosity issue. I do not intend to qualify a structural procedure with tensiles or CVN.
When I started looking into this, I looked for an AWS specification for requirements. While I didn't find one, I did find an informative document published by AWS called
AWS WZC/D19.0-72 - Welding Zinc Coated Steel. This document entails a lot of testing done by various organizations through several welding processes. It discusses porosity and cracking issues. One excerpt from this document is:

" Intergranular Cracking -
     Fillet welds made on galvanized steel thick enough to cause sufficient restraint on the cooling weld metal sometimes contain intergranular cracks through the throat of the weld. These cracks have been called " Zinc Penetrators" by J.F. Rudy ("Welding of Galvanized Steel - Cracking Mechanisms and Development of Solutions" Welding Journal 39 (5) Research Supplement 507-s to 514-s, 1958), who described the mechanism of their formation as being akin to stress corrosion of steel by liquid zinc under stresses of yield-point magnitude. Whether cracking will occur in fillet welds made by particular welding process depends on many factors such as the silicon content of the weld metal, the degree of penetration of the weld, the thickness of the base metal which influences the restraint of the joint, and the coating weight of the zinc and the microstructure of the zinc coating which are both influenced by the composition of the base plate, particularly with respect to silicon content. If cracking occurs, it will be considerably less on metallized steel than galvanized steel and it will not occur at all in welds on zinc-rich painted steel."

While this 42 year old document is very well put together and informative, I too think that AWS should update it considering the many advances and changes to processes over the years.

Tim Gary
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-30-2014 14:39
If you allow.
The experience you could make with this HOBART metal cored wire is quite similar to that I could make those days with this French (SAF) filler wire.
It really did improve (whatever in this context that means) process stability, and could reduce the degree of porosity - although we haven't continued finally to precisely determine the extent of the latter.

Recently I could listen to a speech given by a Japanese fellow (KOBELCO).
Though covering mainly automotive application, thus probably not meeting the OP subject (which seems 'structural' work), this time my 'Google' research was a little more successful. That is, I could find a public paper connected to this topic.

Their approach is using some tailored 'consumable-power source characteristic' combination.
By all means I can recall that it was quite interesting - although they were focusing upon a market regularly known rather as being "self-controlled".

Embedded the link:

http://www.kobelco.co.jp/english/ktr/pdf/ktr_32/016-023.pdf

Maybe it additionally helps to cleanse this muddy water a little further.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 14:14
Shawn,
   When you say "Out on a job" would these jobs be OSHA Compliant jobs?

If so, OSHA goes farther than any code that I am aware of when it comes to "coating removal" for welding (4" in every direction from the weld area).

I was on a job once and the weldors were giving me a hard time about removing the "coating" 2" away from theweld area. Well the safety guy got wind of it and comes around to inform them that they do not need to remove the "coating" 2" away........ now it is 4". :eek:

jrw159
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 21:28
Oh yes, definitely OSHA compliant jobs. That is interesting to know since some of the specs I have seen only call for removal 1/2" on either side of the weld area. That obviously would be so I'm not snorting the shyte for 10 hours a day. In 6 years I have seen OSHA pop up on one job down in Roswell, Georgia. I think I actually did see that called out on some prints for another company though and thought to myself, "wow!!".
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 09:55 Edited 05-30-2014 10:21
http://www.hotdipgalvanizing.com/hot_dip_galvanizing_process/index.html#

http://www.hotdipgalvanizing.com/hot_dip_galvanizing_process/processInAction.html

ASTM A123 / A123M - 13
Standard Specification for Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on Iron and Steel Products:

http://www.astm.org/Standards/A123.htm

Many You Tube videos on HDG & Galvanizing in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2J07n5hSbs

The history of HDG and other links from the American Galvanizers Association:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/what-is-hot-dip-galvanizing-hdg

Corrosion Protection:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/corrosion/corrosion-protection

Types of Corrosion:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/corrosion/corrosion-process/types-of-corrosion

The process:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/what-is-hot-dip-galvanizing-hdg/hdg-process

Specification & Inspection:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/specification-and-inspection

Knowledge Base » Coating Thickness:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/category/coating-thickness

Inspection Course:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/specification-and-inspection/inspection-course

Inspection of Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel Products:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/publications/inspection-of-hot-dip-galvanized-steel-products-2011

Suggested Specifications for Hot-Dip Galvanizing & Related Resources with various free downlaod guides:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/publications/suggested-specification-for-hot-dip-galvanizing-2002

Design & Fabrication:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/design-and-fabrication

Design of Products to be Hot-Dip Galvanized After Fabrication:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/publications/the-design-of-products-to-be-hot-dip-galvanized-after-fabrication-2012

Necessary design and fabrication steps to ensure the highest quality hot-dip galvanized coatings:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/article/necessary-design-and-fabrication-steps-to-ensure-the-highest-quality-hot-di

Hot-Dip Galvanizing for Corrosion Protection: A Specifier’s Guide:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/publications/hot-dip-galvanizing-for-corrosion-protection-a-specifiers-guide-2012

Knowledge Base:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase

Knowledge Base » Specifications:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/category/astm-and-other-specifications

Knowledge Base » Zinc Coatings:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/category/zinc-coatings

And finally, Publications:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/publications

P.S. JT, There's Galvanizing and then there's galvanizing besides HDG - Metallizing & Electroplating:

http://www.galvanizeit.org/corrosion/corrosion-protection/zinc-coatings/metallizing

http://www.galvanizeit.org/corrosion/corrosion-protection/zinc-coatings/electroplating

I'm going to stop here because there's just too many relevant links for the American Galvanizers Association alone! However, I will continue later today with more links from other sources.:eek::surprised::roll::grin::surprised::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-30-2014 10:38
In conjunction to 'welding' zinc coated steel I was faced once with a metal cored wire.
Its manufacturer is French and - although not really a friend of that in any respect - I was trying a "Google" research.
Unfortunately not finding something relevant; I stumbled, however, over this brochure here:

http://fce.arcelormittal.com/repository/fce/Brochures/Metalliccoated_usermanual_EN.pdf

Additionally to the bunch of information that you did supply here, maybe that can likewise prove helpful to the OP as this leaflet also contains a 'Joining' chapter.

Regards.

PS: I'm wondering whether GMA Brazing has ever been used more widespread in the US of A. That was quite "popular" here in Europe a while back and, as appropriate filler materials became available, it was discussed at least to become industrially deployed, even with higher strength parent materials.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 10:58 Edited 05-30-2014 11:02
I have known a couple of sheet metal contractors that used brazing to join the material to preserve the corrosion protection of electrogalvanized sheet, but they were oxy-fuel torch brazing.

I believe the filler metal was "Everdur." I will not make a claim that the filler metal is correct. I looked up the filler metal on line and found it to contain 45% silver with nearly equal amounts of copper and zinc making up the balance. With that silver content, it must be rather pricey.

Al
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-30-2014 11:27
I seem to understand.
Thank you.

Btw, sure you're right with that "pricey" detail. Must be given some very good reasons before making use of this special alloy.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 23:28
Brent,

The specification you want to look @ is: AWS D 19.0 "Welding Zinc Coated Steel." The link below was written a few years ago by a "Doctor Galv" an you might find it interesting:

http://www.schnitzhoferandassoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Procedures-for-welding-galvanized-steel.pdf

This is from AISC's Modern Steel Construction... Note* Click the link and a .pdf file dialog box will open in a blank page... Open the .pdf to view the article:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=69&ved=0CHEQFjAIODw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aisc.org%2Fbookstore%2Fitemredirector.aspx%3Fid%3D15286&ei=iAKJU-CbLsqa8AGP44GYAQ&usg=AFQjCNFZZJbIm-E3tWMWASOxMxCdEz9QjA&sig2=DIuuLDx9AwBF7j94sN6PcA&bvm=bv.67720277,d.b2U

Excellent guide Electrode...

I was going to post that one but, I hesitated because I was finding so much basic info in the many links of the American Galvanizers Association web site... Good catch!:lol:
If one turns to pages 45 thru 48, the info pretty much explains what is necessary with respect to joining & reconditioning...

This is a more generalized link is from the UK (British) Galvanizers Association:

http://www.zinkpower.com/media/files/arbeitsblaetter_englisch/2_10.pdf

Here are some more pages:

http://www.galvanizing.org.uk/about_galvanizing/joining_galvanized_steel/welding_galvanized_steel

http://www.galvanizing.org.uk/about_galvanizing/joining_galvanized_steel/renovating_damaged_coatings

Beware - Salt Spray Testing!

http://www.galvanizing.org.uk/about_galvanizing/misleading_accelerated_corrosion_tests

Here is the literature page that has presentations listed by category:

http://www.galvanizing.org.uk/literature/engineers_architects_guide/

Here are some more good articles from the UK:

http://www.hdgmagazine.co.uk/article/the_misunderstood_process

http://www.hdgmagazine.co.uk/article/galvanized_fasteners

From Hobart Brothers Filler Metals:

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/news/160/523/Welding-Galvanized-Steel-Filler-Metal-and-Equipment-Advancements-for-the-Automotive-Industry.html

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/product-details.html?name=FabCOR%26reg%3B+F6

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/uploads/pdf/datasheets/FabCOR_F6.pdf

From Key to Metals c/o Total Materia:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=191

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=316

Articles page:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=Articles&LN=EN

Viewable articles archive:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=News&LN=EN

Material basics:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=MaterialBasics&LN=EN

"Total Materia" Guided Tours:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=GuidedTours&LN=EN

Hot Dip process described by US Steel:

http://www.ussteel.com/uss/portal/home/products/sheet/coated%20sheet/hot-dip-process-method/!ut/p/b1/vZTJjqNADIafpR8goqpCWI5AAYEEKKBYL4g0WSGEhC3w9JORRnMZzfRl0vbJkqXP_y_bTMrETFrnw_mYd-dbnVc_65TL9AAhdm3xjqCHPDAIWXHexkPAYJmIiUmysvHNOqpGNIxtXsaeMrr3bnvhVP60qd2NLF9jQlFDdw03LMu9UNJ2deoa9bmnBhBU7WrISqBYaX8_Cz5qZY8u-1H5LICyuA5VcpZHbJVuIkcSvxMfqcKb6zQfy_3lFImnkg5TfFC2vdsnYctio5iUQ705rduqlqUkgXVb6ia3i3IbPJrDVYTJ7SHP4CAP9THO93FXt3czEo7iwMLDURapMs9M8hLOZxvA6uGW9XziiC_hVIcbRyRIYhFDmRiwmX-ZGmMuZ-8ye5aNI2hh9QlpMNs49uygMrtCgR12RzgHyC7BZKvsbFF19LuYFKEXyJJEm4rlvwKCbwa63JuAv3fJCbYQGCtEsGSxQNfZdwMF4KovoKBApK-gQ-DbLeXWGBjY1pUl4MFrjm-2FPDvVgg1mX0p3Pi6QwUElP-_NCaTMuElWfC4NUashpkZvM7Zbsr0SmoJ3JdEmszKLM4Vn2YUHb2k1M79g4-6ROjkWoOeE6tmepgJKfZPkS8nJ_BdYPS-gCKf6wwQ3iV_ZVHXN567NlSSXp7cq7_o07uE8CAduyKEaVAYNsLesmj7vWtuLQcpvGS65GLxOTUD3Tkf4QGn21grFp9TUeTxow0sY514kx48skeXybel5kaAVNrTPOU5xR0bhGGoWl6qPQbSVG08XrwYY_RkY2tF6sSHmfvx8fqw6T-fMIJfNDjLXw3gLyEBxl7frnumuQ5_pGhc2B_rKX6w/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Electrolytic Coating:

http://www.ussteel.com/uss/portal/home/products/sheet/coated%20sheet/electrolytic-coating/!ut/p/b1/vZTNjptADICfZR8AMTOBEI4QYDLLf2AIcIlISQhMgISF8PP0TaWql6rdS7f2yZKlz59lmU_5mE-b7FkWWV-2TXb7UafrI6YICTtbcjc4kgDxPHG9N_cIEIE_8LFHRUtr7UK3gIlFB_mRWp6iFcLWQ0uSFhjKuFjdJIMgzZ_xcYbmVAfWMrePrF4lVz0g4434T3IL6MHOr-VcCkO9G-3emDprjPC7UDgERkrlyTlYC7dhREl9Tw6eshDxsRwNPdGtqhl2unKm9HqG-6HbnEu_YFxTDBp1jMI5XAd6Yn51lqYui3vw0Xr7_CGfUm4q4PkyXRpBLRIdRf7bG5-8pKWjCQQcWcI-8Fz5JR1iaLqyhxQB8SEfA-EYVPOdLGzZV8veslmLbHa3IUVTqK-oQxl05HfHZjcHhJHds3EONRuG-jgHsuXl0Z6qipLN8mP5DAj-M9BffxHw1x251IKAiMjTFFsAGAtfDdwAX38BN1uIsAhdD375Stc7DRDNwdsVkMBrjv-8UiB9tSE0VOFlaAbYDTcIbP_90bzzKR9ViTBpH2TU9MOTlTTQtocU5YXoY8OiwP4YKKODFMje4aaWBKvzRUK9vFl1J6azeKFR39_rQko0_3xR61VTBO9dDZ6P_oxy12Bz5vahQa5ld_tYSlTDXcqi6EbLcteeDGzEsdFQbTBzZrscVxJTJl1ncWqmuNdFnk0nLh-hsh61Rp7qy8yKjUECKzG5Q_QtkbjsKKsOaBSX4oprSCs-dmG_bSCcFLHv8ivJKitnqObaLJa361jnvJcY_nZ3Xp81_evzRfCTBnf1swH8IRTAO7u2PvP3-vlbyqQSvgMVydnB/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Coated sheet:

http://www.ussteel.com/uss/portal/home/products/sheet/Coated%20Sheet/!ut/p/b1/vZRJj5tAEIV_kUV302xH9n11gw0XBB7b7MY22OBfH0eKcomSuWSm6lRSSV-9p6eiMmpPZUPxqM_FVF-Govs5Z2yuxwhhw-V8Xk84YAYBw0Z2hICJqR21D1IkyHfzqZnJyYonqWKUeKosww5Z-byIBzSDfi6LqB_L1n80aDmPPoNPj4MaPo7VdLkkGqjKZXwdWMkV0xbeuUzamftydVRPmA_PRmE8Hb-011qlzFV09UQaApYLO67hNHYX1wasvU097AztBIZ2fcb6h9Xwqpe1j8j_uCfKbHfeIsNynafhNBPn-vSgBENwiZ-2eLRvBh_6zhk5PJW-BXO5DbCeODjaBr7wFkx0aPtCgESMKELtAc63zTqar_YVNWCxSRMCt8UrbKFPlDL0iAq3gg-3jv2EKlomRVxIGZluu7jEI8FHEsWSKJHp0JWfAcE3A0P2i4C_M-THDgQmgwJFdDHQdfzVQB6E6hvIyxDpDPQD-OWWsoYCTMXTZRpw4H3HN1sKuK9WCDUJvxXaW90nPALy_w-NRWVU0qQ4l3nzqbq7fDsWotIUGV2EWJaQanrRXOyvRRiw0V6nOS4FU20HZKaP_CwIjVNOt8Wo2yGwxr6-kRlctCgf7jd3Ey9LqK_no6WOB7OzH2eVrGtZwT6T6c5bDXMsm1aMe0GKq2ZTExIO2ZBzYc_StHVM3aeqaZtwi-XUEehO450iidJedZQMqsZ8SOklZ25-q58uOIuv9yKMvWudoo1XN5bVwXZvHa8Kn-Yi6njxzua9IJZGVbb9-5tm_3y4CH6y4NO_FsBfSgSUZ1z6IzX2jz9aMBv8A9ZhgSo!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

This article is from Fabtech:

http://www.fabtechexpo.com/shielding-gas-blends-suited-for-different-metals#.U4j8JnYVeSo

This one is from Wheatland Tube:

http://www.wheatland.com/images/specs/Welding-of-Light-weight-Tubular-Steel-rev-140116.pdf

You must purchase (Or be a member) this complete article in order to read it entirely... Nonetheless, it's an interesting one to say the least, except that they rely on the salt spray test to evaluate corrosion resistance which can be misleading for certain applications:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF03263483#page-1

From the AWS Welding Journal, AUGUST 2009, VOL. 88:

http://www.americanweldingsociety.org/wj/supplement/wj0809-168.pdf

From the Welding Research Institute of Bratislava Slovakia: "Problems with reliability and safety of hot dip galvanized steel structures":

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/si/v14n2/v14n2a11

Another educational article from Kobelco's ABC's of Arc Welding:

http://www.kobelco-welding.jp/education-center/abc/ABC_2007-02.html

Who asked about weld brazing? This is from Fronius, "MIG brazing of galvanised light-gauge sheets":

https://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-5AD52CED-928AEC3D/fronius_usa/14_mig_loeten_von_verzinkten_duennblechen_gb.pdf

I'm starving!!! Gonna go eat some dinner!:grin::grin::grin::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::twisted::wink::cool: That's All Folks!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-30-2014 21:18
With all due respect Henry, no one who has a valid opinion on this subject has the time to read all your links, it would take a lifetime! The simple fact is that welding Galvanised steel without a procedure and the correct PPE is a definate no-no!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2014 23:31
I never said that you must read it... This is totally voluntary Glynn or anyone else that's complaining/whining... So if you don't want to read it? Then Don't! I'm sure somebody else will because, it's not just about you.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-31-2014 02:34
Thank you for your professional reply.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-31-2014 02:51
It is contributors such as you who make this forum so great!
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-31-2014 03:24
Thank you, Henry.

Also, I must agree to Brent who was saying:
"Very good conversation here. Many informative posts."

The 'gymnastic excercise' one, however, certainly belongs to the best among those being highlights. :)

Hence, also to 46.00 who was saying:
"It is contributors such as you who make this forum so great!"

Regards.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-30-2014 23:08
Very good Henry, made for some good reading as most are short snippets of info which then lead you to something else, sometimes asking for money for a course or material.

Some of the links will be for A123, A384, A385 and others that can be found in your 'Selected ASTM Standards for Structural Steel Fabrication' compiled and printed by ASTM and available through AISC, AWS, on line and others. 

Glyn, not a rebuke- just a statement, I guess I just have too much time on my hands sitting here most of the night watching a handful of welders working a project that takes more observation than real work.  There were some good reads with informative points but I understand your meaning.  In the end, it's all about procedures, PPE, and contract documents.  All other points are to satisfy a lot of obvious personal curiosity because most of us have a thirst for knowledge and haven't seen the science behind the 'just do it because I said so', even if the essence of that statement came from an engineer, we still want to know 'who, what, when, where, why, and how'.  I am glad that there are others interested in more details about this question even if in the end, it doesn't really matter.  We still have to do it the way the customer wants.  This is why our codes do make some testing mandatory where other items are pre-qualified.  This is why D1.1, Clause 5.15, 6.26, and 8.5 deal with material cleanliness including paints and coatings (Note: if the reference in 8.5 for removal 2" from root is required for existing structures, why would one try to weld over a 'newer' member with paint on it?  Age has nothing to do with it.  Fact: paint at the very least reduces the potential for successful completion of the weld, and a main purpose of the code is to increase probability of success.)

Very good conversation here.  Many informative posts.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding on Galvanized metal Test Data??