Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Depth of bevel more than weld size.
- - By vvvmaac Date 06-30-2014 03:24
Hi board,
I think There's an error page 4-66
Welding inspection technology book.
Figure 4.88 (C)
Depth of bevel 7/8
Size of weld (3/4)
Figure shows 3/4 longer than 7/8.
It is confusing.
Thanks for your attention.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-30-2014 08:33
Look at page 4-30 Figure 4.37 it will help you understand. look at S(E) that tells you the Groove weld size and the DEPTH of bevel. It also tells you (C) Depth of bevel more than weld size.
   M.G.
Parent - By vvvmaac Date 06-30-2014 15:02
Thanks Milton,  got that,  figure 4-37 is very illustrative.
But still I think that on page 4-66 Figure shows 3/4> 7\8.
Thanks for your reply.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-30-2014 19:59
Triple V,

You are correct that there is a mistake.  As the illustration on the left is to show what the illustration on the right is representing then the left one is wrong. 

The bevel depth is called out as 7/8" which would be standard if the engineer requires a 3/4" weld as you cannot guarantee a full depth or beyond bevel depth weld.  Normal loss is considered to be about 1/8" for most processes.  Remember that anything beyond and/or weld reinforcement on the weld crown does not count for engineering.  They can only calculate what is average best case scenario.  Thus, level with the top of groove and 1/8" less than the depth of bevel.

Looks as though someone got the numbers reversed and editors did not catch it.  As I remember, there are at least a couple more mistakes in either the WIT book or the book with the sample questions based on the WIT book modules.  Could be around a half a dozen between the two of them.  Don't let it bother you too much.  As long as you know the symbols and what the represented weld is supposed to look like then it has accomplished it's purpose. 

And, it appears you have learned as you caught their mistake.  I need to compare this one with the ones I have written down from the previous edition and see if they made the same mistake or a new one.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By vvvmaac Date 07-01-2014 00:17
Thanks Welder Brent.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-04-2014 10:55
I went back to the book this morning and looked again and you are right I see what you where talking about they do have the 3/4 being bigger than the 7/8 they do have the numbers reversed thanks for sharing that with everybody. I was looking at the other side of the symbol.

M.G.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Depth of bevel more than weld size.