Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Buying a Tig welder help wanted
- - By Thinkmoto Date 08-09-2004 09:31
Hello all I'm looking for a good all around AC/DC Inverter. I've been checking around on Millers lincolns and Hobarts offerings. I've been out of the loop a little so I'm kinda out dated on the newest offerings etc. Whats a good light to medium duty welder. It has to have a good duty cycle etc. i don't want to have to worry about burning it up. I might be eventually strting a little side business so it will get alot of use. Oh has to be 220 single phase also. I don't think it can be more then say 30-50 amps input needed. Thanks for any and all info :)
Parent - - By rugg (*) Date 08-10-2004 15:24
i am not an expert by any means, however, i am in a similar position. i can share some thoughts with you. after much thought and reading, a large consideration is cost. an ac/dc unit with enough output and duty cylcle to take care of aluminum (up to 3/8", my guess) will run ball park 3.5K, torch/tank/cables/ect..included. i was interested in an inverter unit, but i think the only advantage is portability, certainly not cost; they are expensive. my concern was wanting or eventually needing to weld "medium" heavy aluminum and spending 2.5K on a unit that couldnt put out enough current. i have taken the postition of using my maximum cost estimate and finding the unit that will best approximate that figure. i am taking a more serious look at lincoln's precision275 with the "ready pak package" (cart and everything but the tank) from an on line distributor, free shipping, for around 3.5K. in that price range, i dont think there are any significant performance differences between the different makers. just my $0.02.
Parent - - By Thinkmoto Date 08-10-2004 22:22
I don't really see myself welding 3/8in Aluminum and If I need to I can take it to work. We have a old Lincoln 300amp job.

But back on suvject I've narrowed it down the Thermal arc 185tsw. Seems to be the best bang for my buck. Miller and Lincoln make fine machines but I feel I'll be paying more for the name then the machine. if I could afford a Miller and had 3 phase capabilities I'd buy a big 300 amp unit. I'm probably gonna go pick up the Thermal arc in a few days. I can't beat the price and they have one in stock too.
Parent - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-11-2004 01:26
I have been researching the same kinds of units. My first choice would be a Miller Dynasty 200DX. But the price is considerably higher that the Thermal Arc 185TSW, which looks like it will do what I need. If you don't really need an inverter, the Lincoln Precision Tig 185 is competitive and seems to have a better reputation. Price is about the same. But it weighs over 200 lb.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-11-2004 17:52
The Miller Dynasty is the only inverter ac/dc that produces full ac amperage at or with full frequency that I know of. In other words, if you want to weld at 200 amps ac you can do so with 250 hertz. This allows a very focused arc with no wandering, especially fillet welds on inside corners. With the sharpened ceriated tungsten no balling is required or necessary. That is if the balance control is 70 to 85% negative. All this power with only 20 amp draw on 240 volt input. You must comparison weld try before you buy these little guys.
Parent - - By Thinkmoto Date 08-12-2004 22:07
I bought the Thermal Arc 185TSW For the price and what it comes with I couldn't pass up the price. From what i have read and heard the Thermal arc can also weld AC full amperage and full frequency. I have yet to test it out but all I have heard is good. i mostly will need it for steel and SS, but I'll be doing some smaller projects in AL but all thin stuff. I have a 300amp Lincoln at work to use for the big stuff :)
I'll post a review once I get it out of the boxes and Hooked up.
Parent - - By rugg (*) Date 08-13-2004 14:51
'moto, would like to hear your experience on mild steel. how heavy/what type of projects will you use it for mild?? thanks
Parent - By Thinkmoto Date 08-14-2004 20:50
Rugg
most of the mild steel stuff will prpobably be exhaust and intakes. But, i'm sure I'll be doing some heavier stuff with the ARC setup. I'm kinda thinkin about building the ultimate wood splitter if i can get a good ram. Hopefully before the weekend is over I'll have it wired in and going. With all the adjustability I can't wait ti try it out:) I'll keep you guys posted on its capabilities.
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 08-13-2004 23:39

Just make sure that whatever you get it doesn't buzz or hum. I think the ESAB units do this(?). Also, fan-on-demand is a nice feature.

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Buying a Tig welder help wanted