Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Relocation
- - By rookiewelder (*) Date 09-12-2014 03:24
Hello everyone,
After 17 years as a heavy equipment mechanic I decided to switch careers and start welding. I had taken a few welding classes at a community college and the bug bit me good. I plan to graduate with my A.A.S in welding tech and relocating to the Nashville Tennessee area in December. Does anyone know of anything in the area ? I know the degree is not a golden ticket and I would love to be a helper to learn more. Would love some advice from someone who has been there done that.
Thanks
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-12-2014 10:37
Switching career path and going back to school ... tough thing to do.  I applaud you rookie.
Tyrone
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-12-2014 12:40
Lots of fab shops around Nashville, big construction outfits that have their own welders to fix equipment, do highway work type of welding. Couple pipeline welding places as well, Bush Pipeline I think is one but never worked there, never talked to anyone that worked there. Trinity Marine is northwest of Nashville, build barges. Don't know how they pay, how the job is, never worked there. Heard stories about it positive and negative. Army Corps of Engineers if you can get on with them working on a barge doing dam repairs and stuff. Some of the big contractors, Ikon, Rogers Group, W.L. Hailey(I think), Jones Bros., Civil Constructors(I believe), not sure which one hires welders or uses welders, never worked with either, wait, fixed a gate for Ikon, that's about it. Mechanical companies are a good place to look too, most are to cheap to hire a contract welder and they are always looking for a guy to hire to weld mechanical piping. There's a big outfit in Nashville that I have heard is really good but I can't remember the name right now. I'll try to find it but don't see their trucks because I don't work in or around Nashville much anymore.

Ivey Mechanical and John Bouchard & Sons are two that I know have their own welders. There is another place in Nashville that builds stages for the big music folks, heard of them and talked to somebody once, ran into them somewhere, but don't have any clue what the name was. There is a Caterpillar dealer in Lavergne that has a full on welding shop. Pretty good place to work for, full bennies, good pay, $18 an hour when I left 12 years ago so I'd say it is higher now. I know the shop foreman in the machine shop over there but have not talked to him in years, just have not been over that way in forever. There is also a company that manufactures rock machines around that same area, Antioch. I checked on a welding job with them once and they do repairs all over the place as the company is worldwide, Wirtgen America Inc., is the name. Duck Welding, small machine/welding shop, Hamilton Machine, small welding/machine shop and Industrial Machine and Tool are places that I've been to once or twice in my travels but never worked there or really talked to anybody about life as an employee there. All of the ones I've listed are companies large enough to most likely offer some sort of healthcare benefits. Caterpillar has 401k, retirement plan and more.

All inbound interstates, I40, I24, I65 are awful messes in the mornings coming into Nashville. Been on the road for most of this year and when I came home in March took some local work in Nashville and realized how much I hated driving to Nashville in the mornings. Driving in from Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, Donelson, Hendersonville, Franklin traffic gets heavy around 6-6:30, awful at 7:00 and even worse the closer you get to town. Where to live, anywhere I guess. I lived in East Nashville for a year or so, then south Nashville. Westside, Franklin, Brentwood are the big money areas I guess. An old country boy though so I got the heck out as soon as I could.

That's about all I've got. Was a mechanic for 18 years on Cadillacs to Caterpillars, Detroits, Cummins....and more. Jumped off into welding after being laid off and going to school. It's possible, going in to weld as an employee would be so much easier than what I did though. Good luck!!

Shawn
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 09-12-2014 12:45
Good morning;
  Although a degree in welding it is not a golden ticket, I believe it can be a great way to get your foot in the door. Most places, if not every place, will have you test to there procedure before hiring you on. Doing well in school will give you at the least entry level skills; probably more. Going in willing to hire on as a helper shows your willingness to learn; a great asset in my opinion. Listen to the more seasoned welders. Watch how they accomplish a task. Don't be afraid to pick their brains. Most will happily share if asked. I'm not in the Nashville area but think a few people on the forum are from the area. They may have a few ideas. Keep visiting the forum. There is a wealth of information here and a great but of gentleman willing to share. Best of luck with your chosen path.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-12-2014 13:01
The other company I could not think of is Lee Company, large outfit. Don't know if anybody is hiring welders in the area though, just have to shake some bushes and see what drops out.

Shawn
- - By rookiewelder (*) Date 09-13-2014 03:00
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I am eager to learn whatever I need to learn to be proficient in the trade. Cummins, do you need a helper? :-)  I do plan on trying to shake as many tree's as it takes.just trying to gather as much info as possible I have my own service truck and tools so hopefully that will help find something.
Thanks again!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-14-2014 03:24
Employees are to expensive, tried it once and cost, paperwork, taxes...., sometimes I think I would like to have a guy but it would cost me $5-6000 to bring you on as a helper just to get you started before your first day of real work. Good luck! Seems like there is always something going on in Nashville at least.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 09-14-2014 21:36
You have a very fundamental misunderstanding of the free market system going on there.

Employees don't cost a business money, they make the business money.

It's been that way since 1000 years BC.

Your 5-6k number isn't correct. If you are a real business. The local library might have some basic business books you could look into for knowledge.

Look close at what real business cost's are, and how profit is calculated. Lot's of people think they are business owners but they are really just buying a job. A low paying job at that.

John
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-15-2014 03:24
I was quoting initial cost of hiring an employee 5-6000 dollars and yes, that is the correct number it would cost me out of pocket regardless of what some business guru thinks. I could go into details as to why it costs, differences, etc., but I got better things to do, like watch Dateline ID.

Don't need to go to the library, I have been reading books since 1975, business books since 2008 when I started this one with $750 to my name and no professional welding experience.

I know how profit is calculated and I keep my numbers where I want them so I can live comfortably. I don't have a misunderstanding of the free market system, quite the contrary actually. 

I guess I should have posted in my initial post a little more simply. I don't want an employee(s) for reasons I care not to divulge here.

I am here to do what I want, when I want, for who I want. Who knows, in a few years I might get a wild hair to do something else, move to another country, state, who knows and having an employee or employees now I have to be concerned about them, no thank you.

Maybe I'm one who "thinks" he is a business owner, maybe I'm just "buying a job" but a low paying job it is not or I wouldn't be doing it. I have many reasons why I do what I do and work my business how I do, none of which are anybody's darn business.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 00:08
ROTFLMFAOAAA!!!:lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::lol::roll::grin::wink::cool:
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 09-16-2014 00:11
I agree with your estimate of a new hire. Workers comp takes their money up front and your liability policy takes it later, so if it doesn't work out and your helper skips who pays the bill. When you build a business, it seems like a need to have at least 2 or 3 people or more busy all the time or just work by yourself. I too live comfortably, help who I can and enjoy life.
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-16-2014 07:55
I think the reason buddy didn't think it fit the business model was that business is about growth in size and making money. Failure to grow and make more money is seen as a failure in doing business. One man can only generate so much and if he doesn't add to the growth, then the business is failing because it cannot continue to grow.
Yes, you can make a very comfortable living. A pile of money in the right market. But we do not stand the test of time sadly. A business however can survive with out us.

My experience was similar however, big jobs and big hassles so I guess I was a business failure.
On the bright side, I didn't see myself as a sleezly cheap bastard business owner making a profit on the back of the mindless drones to the machine of my money making portable welding service business. Did I just say that? Yes...in jest.
What I ment was, those drones need to work cheaper, safer and with less complaints.Then we can afford to hire more of them. lol.

Well, I gave three guys a start in the trade at various time who have remained close friends. A fair but reasonable wage was paid to them based on expierence or what I expected of them. The expense was offset by the profits generated. At the end of the day however, you got to keep growing. I didn't.

I tip my hat however to you guys. I'm wearing one hat and your wearing plenty. Somedays one feels tight on the head. I haven't forgot how wearing that many hats feels and it's been a while.
I think thats why businesses grow? To many hats. And a helmet.
I will say this however, when I could sit and answer a phone to take an order, source a supplier, deliver a quality product and still make a buck on each peice delivered, I thought I was in business? Not Donny Trump business, but Martha Stewart business.

All good guys, keep a strain on er.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 21:49
lo-hi, I wish I was figuring in workers comp but that is without workers comp, lol!!
- - By rookiewelder (*) Date 09-17-2014 01:17
Yikes! Didn't mean to start anything,Just trying to learn from folks who have way more experience than me.  Thanks
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-17-2014 02:26
rook
when you get the best people here to comment, your my hero
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-17-2014 03:03 Edited 09-17-2014 03:08
Rookie,

You just heard business analysis from two guys in different parts of the industry, on opposite sides of the country, with differing goals, business models, and personal objectives.  They CAN both be right.  It will all depend upon so many applicable factors and what each businessperson equates as necessary expense, training, PPE, insurances, benefits, certifications, and overhead in order to bring a new person on board. 

Take me for example: doing some work that requires climbing certification.  There goes a week of pay, expense of class, expense of climbing gear, not to mention air fare, hotel, and food. (and even at least one person on the ground has to be climbing rated as well)  That alone will get me close to Shawn's $5000.  Not to mention First Aid/CPR, OSHA 30, other employer mandated to provide PPE, Workers' Comp, Liability Insurance, employer's portion right away on every check for SSI, Unemployment, and other payroll expenses.  THEN, I have to personally train you for my specific application of skills needed regardless of if you are an inspector, welder, helper, NDT tech.  Then, every employee needs about two weeks on the job just to figure out how I want things done.  Time with the boss or a trusted employee to show you the ropes, learn where the tools are and learn how I want them used (and put away), learn special features of my equipment incase you have never used that exact unit, and so much more.  I always figure the first two weeks are throw away, if I get some benefit great, but mostly you are in training and I don't expect high production. 

I know a little of where JT is coming from and hopefully he can indeed start a new employee for less.  Especially at the stage of growth his company is in where he already has a system and people in place and one new person doesn't hit you as hard as it would Shawn or myself. 

But there are many factors to consider and I believe Shawn has spoken from his own past experience and needs in his specific business model. 

Now, as to your OP, get out there and hustle.   Prove yourself.  You seem to have a good perspective on starting where you can.  Be careful about using the 'I have my own service truck' line.  Until you are proven and have a set up specific to the sector of the industry you go into you may just make yourself a laughing stock on the job site.  Get your certifications.  Do your time.  Gain some skills.  Find out what types of tools, equipment, truck set up, and optional equipment will truly be an asset to a 'service truck'.  That can mean so many different things.  Pipefitters/welders, ironworkers, rig hands, equipment repair, etc.  All will have different ideas of a 'service truck'.  And some can be a little cruel about not accepting you if you don't have the "right" equipment. 

You are at a good age.  You won't be seen as some young know it all upstart but you are still the newbie who needs to expand his knowledge pool beyond what you will get at any welding school.  And, you still have lots of years ahead of you to be a productive employee and family provider. 

Others have already given you good starting points.  Just my two tin pennies worth on the rest of it.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-17-2014 10:10
Well said Brent! :cool:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-17-2014 10:10
You didn't start anything Rookie, wasn't trying to steal your post, sorry about that!
- By rookiewelder (*) Date 09-18-2014 01:54
That was very well said Brent, thanks. and you are correct about the service truck thing wasn't trying to brag about it just hoping to justify keeping it after the move. :confused: The plan is to hustle until I find someplace that is a good fit (and pays the bills).
thanks again everyone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Relocation