Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / QW 404.5 ASME IX
- - By daniel180385 Date 09-11-2014 16:02
QW-404.5 ''In lieu of an ''A'' number designation, the nominal chemical composition of the weld deposit shall be indicated on the wps and on the pqr. designation of nominall chemical composition may also be by reference to the aws classification except for the ''g'' suffix classification....

Somebody are clear?

What are the meanings of ''designation of nominall chemical composition may also be by reference to the aws classification''???

thanks
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-13-2014 14:46
A filler metal that meets the requirements of the applicable AWS Classification will have specified "Nominal Chemical Composition" values stated within the specification.

You can lookup some of the ASME Interpretations on the subject. Here is one.

IX-83-46

Question (1):  If a particular submerged-arc
wire/flux combination does not conform to an SFA
specification classification, may one use that
wire/flux combination, and by what paragraph?

Reply (1):  Yes, by the provisions of QW-404.5
which requires an A-Number or the nominal chemical
composition of the weld deposit to be stated.
This composition may also be designated by the
manufacturer's trade designation, AWS
classification, or established procurement
documents.
Parent - - By daniel180385 Date 09-26-2014 14:59
Thanks,

But in my case, the contractor use in all WPS and PQR form the electrode clasification in lieu of A-nummber or chemical composition as permitted by QW-404.5?

Exactly, in the WPS for GMAW and GTAW rods, they put into the form ''ER-70S-6'' in lieu of A-number and chemical composition. I think that the correct interpretation is that you can use the AWS specification as reference to the chemical composition, but in any case you can put into the form the AWS specification (ER-70S-6) instead the A-number or chemical composition.

that is the problem I have, and according with that paragraph they thinking is allowed.

I would appreciatte any knowledge you have,
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-26-2014 20:34
I am not understanding.

If the WPS says ER70S-6 then that is what must be used. If the WPS says A Number 1, then that is what must be used . If the contractor listed ER70S-6 in the PQR and the WPS says Er70S-6 then there is no problem. As long as they are using ER70S-6. If an electrode does not have an A-number (70S-6) then that is OK.

I apologize for not being sure on what you are asking.

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / QW 404.5 ASME IX