Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / The answer in the question being asked.
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-23-2014 16:27
The question -
Buddy brings you what appears to be two busted chunks of metal and asks, can you weld it?

My question - Whats your next response?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-23-2014 17:08
What is this from?
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 09-23-2014 17:11
Maybe?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 09-23-2014 18:15 Edited 09-23-2014 18:17
"YES! But if it breaks again, it has elevated it's status from Broke to Ruined."
Second response; "Now are you wiling to pay my minimum 4 hour shop rate?".

FWIW, anything can be welded or welded on as it were...
The question is... will it perform it's intended function after the weld is made?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2014 00:24
Absolutely...NOT!!  It only appears to be metal and besides, two pieces do not a single broken part indicate.  One was aluminum and the other cast iron.  One off an airplane wing tank and the other an antique Singer sewing machine.  Or maybe one is just petrified oak with a metallic appearance.

The key is in the definition of the word 'WELD'.  Even if both parts are METAL, I can weld on it, that doesn't mean I can effect a structural bond that will stand up to any load. 

But, all kidding aside, my next question would be, 'How much is a new replacement if you can get one?'   Way too often, mass produced parts are much cheaper to replace than to repair if you want the repair done properly.  Especially if we are talking material that is not mild carbon steel and you have to figure out what it is, get special electrodes to fix it, do some trial and error practice, etc.

Then, if it is really expensive or parts are not available, 'How much is it worth to you?'

I have refused to even attempt a good many projects and should have passed on a whole lot more.  Somethings are just not worth it.  Friendships can be made from pulling rabbits out of the hat and they are just as quickly shattered when it doesn't go right. 

There is no such thing as a 'It'll only take 5 minutes' repair job.  Most customers talk that much before you even tell them if you will try it or not.  Then, they tell you 'no hurry' but 10 minutes later they are on the phone asking if it's done yet.  No hurry means different things to different people.  When you do get a minute and do it, then it sits for 3 weeks before they pick it up.  Then they want to talk to you, again, and complain about the looks, the price, etc. 

There are no 'buddies' in business.  Only customers. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-23-2014 18:52
It's just me messing with your minds. Nothing serious.
But I get asked that question often. And because I fix other peoples **** I asked that question when it concerned mine.
Have you any idea the science behind taking a dump? That turd is science.  
Like going to the doctor and asking can you fix it?

Food for thought nothing more.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-24-2014 01:05
I can join it
it is called brazing
and can do it with o/f
now more info is needed to weld it
but this is from an old welder:wink:
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-28-2014 07:00
Hi Kent,

How long have you been welding Kent? I'm guessing you spent a bit of time with a torch in your hand? A well named Gas equipment manufacturer ( Victor) claims there equipment allows the user to weld up to 3" thick with accessories and their torch equipment.

You ever see something like that done in your life time?

I should mention, largest tip size available #10, 2- large Acetylene set to 15 psi, a large Oxygen set to 50 to 100 psi.

3" (76.2 mm)  10  27 (0.144)  12/24  12/15  50/100

Sadly, learning about Oxy-fuel for more than the cutting process doesn't make "SENSE" these days? But brazing, when talking in generalities, was a pretty sound choice in my books.

All replies were appreciated in response. Thank you.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2014 13:07
*Extra credit for using a copper back-up !
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / The answer in the question being asked.