Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pearl Abrasive PX 4000
- - By Blaster (***) Date 10-01-2014 22:32
Any thoughts on the Pearl PX 4000 diamond coated cutting wheels for grinders and the chop saw wheels?  http://www.pearlabrasive.com/Pages/ItemProfile_Detail.aspx?ItemProfileId=877492&ItemClassNo=232

I demo'd one of each in my shop today.  Had to give them back though.

The 14" x .125" chop saw wheel cut faster than my regular 5/32 abrasive wheels on 2" pipe, even though I normally run 16" wheels on my chop saw (the rep didn't have a 16" to try).  But the thing I noticed immediately was not getting hit in the face with near as many particles and not sucking in abrasive dust.  I HATE abrasive dust.

Same deal with a 4.5" x .050" cutting wheel.  I cut a 8" Sch 10 304 stainless pipe and it did a nice job.  Loud as hell, but again, wow, no abrasive dust cloud to breath.  I figure they are probably a bit safer than the regular wheels too as the guys blow them up once in a while.

No idea how the blades hold up though.  And the saw blade left substantial burrs, although the rep indicated that was because my 16" saw was spinning too slow (about 2,000 RPM too slow) for the 14" blade we put on, causing more melting of the pipe.

Any of you guys using them?
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 10-02-2014 02:11
Pearl rep came by and showed me some,  i was impressed and i dont impress easy.
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 10-03-2014 04:06
Blaster,  Your key point of dislike for the dust is one I share. Just a couple of thoughts on the product.

1)When cutting materials sensitive to the application of friction abrasive heat +
2)Where surface contamination could be a problem +
3)Cutting softer materials +
4)Cutting materials in work areas more greatly effected or disturbed by the sparks and dust +
5)Health and safety hazard prevention +
6)Cost ? Depends on your needs really. But if the people using them didn't pay for them, they can be damaged up pretty quickly.

- The 14" x .125" chop saw wheel cut faster than my regular 5/32 abrasive wheels on 2" pipe, even though I normally run 16" wheels on my chop saw (the rep didn't have a 16" to try).

I'm not sure if that's apples to apples, but in comparing abrasives, if you used a 1/8" x 16" you might cut faster? Cutting speed for both will be slowed by hardness of the materials. As you noticed, that hardness and the diamond wheels have a "ring" to them. Balancing product for cutting speeds and longevity is a tough one, but seemingly the dust levels change with that balance. It could be worth that for your comfort, don't sell that short on value.

For the first 5 reasons, I could be sold on the product if they were my concerns, but I'm not using them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pearl Abrasive PX 4000