Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Preparing for CWI certification seminar/exam. Any advice?
- - By patzgcrux (*) Date 10-01-2014 21:54 Edited 12-12-2015 16:22
12/12/2015  UPDATE: 

I did not pass my initial CWI test that I took in December 2014.  Like everyone else in this forum with this experience, I was a little depressed and upset.  I did find that this is not a uncommon experience, the CWI certification is one of the hardest professional certifications out there.  Let me break down the test results that I received in my Dec 2014 try:

Part A: 72%
Part B: 48%
Part C: 58%

Average of 59%

A quote from General Patton said: “I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom"  This advice is good, since we only truly fail if we give up.  In spite of my failure, I was more aware of what the exams entailed.  I contacted my the Educator that did the training, Mr. Dave Diaz and was able to hire his services for a one day seminar at Sacramento, CA to work on the Part B and C.  I also revisited the Dreaded Part B on my own by looking up the forums and going over the documentation for the made up part B documentation.  One of the catalyst that made me push harder was the fact that for the first time in 30 years, the Oil workers union decided to go on Strike.  I was out on the picket line for 7 weeks, reevaluating my current job as a refinery operator.  I knew if I wanted to get into the Inspections/NDT career field, I needed to start earning certifications to help me land a job in that department.  I did retake the exam last April in San Francisco, I only opted to do the exam since the week long seminar was still fresh on my mind since I took it last November.  Anyway, long story short my second try succeeded and I finally was able to get my CWI.  Here is the result breakdown for the last exam:

Part A: 75%
Part B: 80%
Part C: 90%

Average of 82%

I would advise to try to get the book early so that you can get the fundamentals out of the way ahead of time.  The same for the code book, if you can start going over the book and have a rough idea where to get the important information, that will help you navigate the book much quicker.  Part B is an entirely different beast.  I heard rumors that the practical exam will be changed, but for what I did I purchased the resin models (they go around $500, but you may get them cheaper second hand at ebay). 

Anyway, thank you for all the help.  Please don't give up gentlemen, it is a worth while certification to pursue.

-------------------------

Hello All,

I am preparing for CWI API 1104 certification.  I already signed up and was approved to take the test this coming November 22nd.  My background is I am a process operator that works for the refining industry in Northern California.  I have 7 years work experience in this field and I am positioning myself to break in the Inspection's field.  So far in order to prepare I have done the following:

I am taking the 90 hour online pre-seminar classes, I find it very helpful.

I am signed up for the week long seminar From Nov 17 to 21.

A couple of questions for those who have been in my shoes.

From where I reside, the seminar and testing venue is about an hour and ten minutes one way without traffic, should I go ahead and pay to stay around the area while the seminar is occurring, My plan currently is just to stay the night prior to the exam date.  What are your thoughts?

Did any of you take the online pre-seminar class ($750 value) and how did it relate to the actual seminar/testing?

Are there any additional study material/books/websites that you can point me to in order to be able to prepare for the exam.

Thank you in advance gentlemen/ladies.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-02-2014 05:23
Hello Patzgcrux,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

So, I will cover three things in particular that are important to me:
1) Yes, stay at the hotel where the seminar and exam are.  Especially if it is an hour or more from your home.  It will be the best money you ever spent.  I live about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from where mine was and between traffic, family interruptions at night, and so many other distractions you will really appreciate the advantage of using that time to study and/or relax instead of everything else.  Also, stay away from work responsibilities as much as possible.  Cram, Cram, Cram. 

2) The online courses are great aids.  Also get the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors; CM:2000.  Get the WIT book and it's workbook if you can even though you will get it at the seminar with your fees.  Next would be the Welding Inspection Handbook; WI:2000.  Great little reference book. 

3) If you are not an AWS member, sign up now to save the cost on the seminar/exam as well as books you buy ahead of time.  I see you already signed up, may be a mute point.

4)  You will get all kinds of opinions on this one, but I highly recommend taking the seminar no matter how much you know and how many books you buy ahead of time.  The ideas, experience, networking opportunity, and new insights you will gain are well worth it.  Even for those who can and have passed without the seminar, it is still not a waste in my opinion.  And it only improves your chances.  How much do you want to pass?  The seminar is worth it to give you that added edge. 

5) Know your code book.  Be very familiar with it's layout.  Especially the table of contents and the index.  Then, the overall layout of the different divisions of the book.  What and where are they? 

Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By patzgcrux (*) Date 12-12-2015 17:36
Thanks again for all the help gentlemen.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2015 18:18
This was originally from a year ago.  Have you taken the test?  Did you pass?  Have you at least begun a study plan?

Parent - By patzgcrux (*) Date 12-13-2015 10:15
Yes I passed, I updated original post to explain the result.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-02-2014 18:49 Edited 10-02-2014 18:56
Welcome to the forum!

Everyone learns differently so I would try to gain as much information as possible. I strongly Suggest the AWS Welding Handbook Volume 1- 8th or 9th edition. It has a pretty good summary of most of the topics referred to in the BOK. Itt by no means is all inclusive of every question on the test but that along with the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors is all I used for self study. However I did not use the materials for study only. They were a daily read just because I liked em.

I am not sure what a Pre-Seminar Class is and have not taken one but I am sure for some people its extremely helpful in helping the upcoming information in the seminar soak in better.

The materials listed at http://www.aws.org/certification/endorsebok/index.html would be the place to start. One thing about the Welding Handbook Volume one is the fact that it has quite a bit of information taken from the other referenced documents.

CHAPTER 1 – SURVEY OF JOINING, CUTTING, AND ALLIED PROCESSES
Introduction
Joining Processes
Cutting Processes
Thermal Spraying
Conclusion

Bibliography
Supplementary Reading List

CHAPTER 2--PHYSICS OF WELDING AND CUTTING
Introduction
Fusion and Solid-State Welding
Energy Sources for Welding
Arc Characteristics
Metal Transfer
Melting Rates
Physical Properties of Metals and Shielding Gases
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 3--HEAT FLOW IN WELDING
Introduction
Heat Flow Fundamentals
Quantitative Calculation of Heat Transfer in Fusion Welding
Conduction of Heat during Fusion Welding
Convective Heat Transfer in the Weld Pool
Relative Importance of Conduction and Convection
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 4--WELDING METALLURGY
Introduction
Physical Metallurgy
Metallurgy of Welding
Weldability of Commercial Alloys
Corrosion in Weldments
The Brazed or Soldered Joint
Corrosion in Brazed and Soldered Joints
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 5--DESIGN FOR WELDING
Introduction
Properties of Metals
Weldment Design Program
Welded Design Considerations
Design of Welded Joints
Selection of Weld Type
Sizing of Steel Welds
Tubular Connections
Aluminum Structures
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 6--TEST METHODS FOR EVALUATING WELDED JOINTS
Introduction
Testing for Strength
Hardness Tests
Bend Tests
Fracture Toughness Testing
Fatigue Testing
Corrosion Testing
Creep and Rupture Testing
Testing of Thermal Spray Applications
Weldability Testing
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 7--RESIDUAL STRESS AND DISTORTION
Introduction
Fundamentals
Nature and Causes of Residual Stress
Effects of Residual Stress
Measurement of Residual Stress
Residual Stress Distribution Patterns
Effects of Specimen Size and Weight
Effects of Welding Sequence
Residual Stress in Welds Made with Different Welding Processes
Weld Distortion
Reducing or Controlling Residual Stress and Distortion
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 8--SYMBOLS FOR JOINING AND INSPECTION
Introduction
Fundamentals
Welding Symbols
Welding Symbols for Specific Weld
Brazing Symbols
Soldering Symbols
Inspection Symbols
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 9--WELDMENT TOOLING AND POSITIONING
Introduction
Fixtures
Positioners
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 10--MONITORING AND CONTROL OF WELDING AND JOINING PROCESSES
Introduction
Principles of Monitoring and Control
Sensing Devices
Process Instrumentation
Process Monitoring Systems
Process Control Systems
Monitoring and Control Systems
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 11--MECHANIZED, AUTOMATED, AND ROBOTIC WELDING
Introduction
Mechanized Welding
Automated Welding
Robotic Welding
Planning for Automated and Robotic Welding
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 12--ECONOMICS OF WELDING AND CUTTING
Introduction
The Cost Estimate
Economics of Welding
Automated and Robotic Systems
Economics of Resistance Spot Welding
Capital Investment in Welding Automation and Robotics
Control of Welding Costs
Economics of Brazing and Soldering
Economics of Thermal Cutting
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 13--WELD QUALITY
Introduction
Defining Weld Quality
Overview of Weld Discontinuities
Discontinuities Associated with Fusion Welding
Discontinuities Associated with Resistance Welding
Discontinuities Associated with the Solid-State Welding Processes
Discontinuities in Brazed and Soldered Joints
Significance of Weld Discontinuities
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 14--WELDING INSPECTION AND NONDESTRUCTIVE EXAMINATION
Introduction
Personnel Qualifications
The Inspection Plan
Nondestructive Examination
Metallographic Examination Methods
Inspection of Brazed and Soldered Joints
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 15--QUALIFICATION AND CERTIFICATION
Introduction
Welding and Brazing Procedure Specifications
Qualification of Welding and Brazing Procedures
Performance Qualification
Standardization of Qualification Requirements
Conclusion
Bibliography

CHAPTER 16--CODES AND OTHER STANDARDS
Introduction
Types of Regulatory Documents
Standards-Developing Organizations and Welding-Related Publications
Guidelines for Participating in International Standards Activities
Conclusion

CHAPTER 17--SAFE PRACTICES
Introduction
Safety Management
Protection of the Work Area
Personal Protective Equipment
Protection against Fumes and Gases
Safe Handling of Compressed Gases
Protection against Electromagnetic Radiation
Electrical Safety
Fire Prevention
Explosion Prevention
Process-Specific Safety Considerations
Safety in Robotic Operations
Conclusion
Bibliography

APPENDIX A--TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
APPENDIX B--METRIC PRACTICE GUIDE FOR THE WELDING INDUSTRY

Here is the BOK for the Fundamentals.
PART A: FUNDAMENTALS  (CWI and CWE)
Subject  Percentage
Welding Processes  10%- Chapter 1
Heat Control & Metallurgy (carbon and low-alloy steel)  6% Chapter 2,3,4
Weld Examination  9% Chapter14
Welding Performance  9% Chapter 15
Definitions and Terminology  12% Appendix A
Symbols - Welding and NDE  10% Chapter 8
Test Methods - NDE  8% Chapter 6, 13, 14
Reports and Records  6% Various
Duties and Responsibilities  4%
Safety  5%- Chapter 17
Destructive Tests  4%-Chapter 6
Cutting  3% Chapter 1
Brazing  2% Chapter 1
Soldering  1% Chapter 1

Of course if you can get ALL of the referenced books, then do it. I imagine with the online prep course there is a pretty good amount of material provided. The Welding Handbook is what I suggest as a learning tool more than a prep for a test tool.

If all of your experience is as an operator and not welding related, then it may take a few different methods to soak it all in.  If you already have some core knowledge based upon prior study/interests then it may be no problem and the courses may be all you need. BUT you can never go wrong getting welding books.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By patzgcrux (*) Date 10-02-2014 19:47
Thank you Gerald/Brent,

I appreciate the detailed response, definitely pondering staying the whole time in the area now.  Hopefully my wife would understand but It does make sense to cut out the possible 3 hour commute each day of the seminar.  I will go ahead and order the recommended material, and yes it does pay to be a AWS member. 

Sincerely,

Patrick
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-02-2014 20:18
Most of the time, the participants of the seminar form study groups every afternoon/evening/night.  They work through the information and strategies given during the day...

This is a week that if possible should be totally devoted to the upcoming exam.   So if you can swing it, I agree with the others that staying at the hotel is very valuable.
Parent - By patzgcrux (*) Date 10-03-2014 04:22
Great idea, networking is a good way to learn.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-02-2014 21:41
patzgcrux this is something to think about. Have you thought about taking the seminar and waiting an take the exam later, You will have time to soak in everything.

M.G.
Parent - By patzgcrux (*) Date 10-03-2014 04:04
I should be fine, I know it is a lot to take in but more than half of the material I have knowledge from previous classes.  Just trying to understand the lingo and familiarize myself regarding the code book.
Parent - - By patzgcrux (*) Date 10-03-2014 04:21
I went ahead and booked a hotel 15 minutes near the seminar/test venue.  You guys are right, I already am investing my own money and time, might as well dedicate the 6 days to attaining the CWI score.  My motivation is the fact that our Inspection's department at my job had a opening.  21 Union employees (including I, #13 in seniority) had to take a test, I passed along with 11 others.  Among the ones who passed, my seniority went from 13 to 3.  We had a job interview and I know it is only a formality at that point but more than likely the one with most seniority gets awarded the job.  Yes I wasn't offered the job but upon inquiring if I had one of the required qualifications under my belt, Union seniority only comes in if another Union brother/sister has the same qualification.  I am positioning myself so that the next opening will be awarded to me.  I am in my mid 30's and I don't have another 5 years to wait for better seniority.  I want to have a highly marketable skill set and start gaining the experience sooner than later.

Patrick
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 21:19 Edited 10-09-2014 07:31
Weldcome to the AWS Forum!

Here are some flash cards that might be helpful:

http://www.flashcardmachine.com/cwi-test.html

There's more, but I'm on another post reply so I'll have to come back later.:grin::lol::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By mrquality Date 10-08-2014 20:27 Edited 10-08-2014 21:39
Hello everyone

Ther are 5 question in the part b of the cwi exam about ndt, some advice?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2014 20:47
net ?
Parent - By mrquality Date 10-08-2014 21:40
I mean NDT. Im sorry.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 21:05 Edited 10-08-2014 23:58
HHMMM... do you mean NDT (not NET) ?  :confused:

If so they are very general.  Pics on equipment with a question along the lines of 'if the ndt personnel showed up with this equipment what NDT is he performing?'  ANSWERS: a. UT  b. MT  c. RT  d. PT  e. FT  

They often <through> (edit: good one Brent, try 'throw') in one or two totally off the wall so yes, expect something like 'e.'.  I know there is no picture here, just giving an example of the type of questions.  Really simple if you have any working knowledge of ndt at all.  AND, they will show you some on screen and in the WIT book so that you should have the type of knowledge needed to correctly identify the process involved.

Parent - - By mrquality Date 10-08-2014 21:46
Thank you welderbrent,

I m not sure about WIT book, what do you mean?, where can i get it?

best regards,

mr quality
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 23:57
The study book for the closed book general knowledge portion of the CWI exam is called the WIT book for Welding Inspection Technology.  It is included in the cost for the week long seminar but you can get it from the AWS bookstore by ordering WIT-T.  AWS member cost is $204 plus shipping.  The savings on this one book is worth the cost of your yearly membership. 

From this posting, look up at the bar along the top under 'American Welding Society Online Forum'.  The second button is for 'AWS Website'.  Once there you go to the 'Bookstore' button at the top and then you can place an order.

Now, have you already taken the exams?  How do you know there are 5 questions in the Bogus Book (Part B) part of the exam?  If you are referring to the practice exams they will not be the same.  Though, there are indeed some questions on NDT in the Part B exam.  Main reason for asking, have you already taken the seminar?  You should have the WIT book if you did. 

Parent - - By mrquality Date 10-09-2014 03:10
In that case, I got it, but in spanish. I didnt know it calls like that (WIT), sorry about my english. And thank you for your help.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-09-2014 03:39
No problem.  Your english is fine, just can be difficult to get some words translated and in the correct sentence structure.   

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-09-2014 07:57
Here's another suggestion if you're not totally confident in translating form Spanish to English and are "buscando informacion immediatamente... En la pagina primero de este forum adonde lista los vario secciones...  Busca para abajo el seccion que dice esto:

En Espanol  
   Nuevos Commentarios
        Nuevos Commentarios en Espanol

Entonce usted puede preguntar questiones con empesando un thread primero y escribiendo en el titulo como el question usted escribio en este thread..."

Translation: "Here's another suggestion if you're not totally confident in translating form Spanish to English and are looking for information immediately... In the first page of the forum where the list of various sections is... Look down for the section that says this:

En Espanol  
Nuevos Commentarios
Nuevos Commentarios en Espanol

Then you can ask questions by starting a thread first with a title like the question you wrote in this thread... Forgive my Spanish... Although I enjoy the opportunity to practice it when I can.:grin::wink::cool:" Nonetheless, it's good that you're making a good attempt to communicate in English also... Btw, do you live in the US mrquality?

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Preparing for CWI certification seminar/exam. Any advice?