Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Derelict Inspectors Giving Welding Tests
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-04-2014 07:01
Hacksaw = Overwhelmingly Stupid Delusions of Grandeur... Hey Hack, have you ever been in the ocean? Or way up in the sky? Why do I ask?
You figure it out SMARTAZZ!:twisted::surprised::evil::grin::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::twisted::roll::smile::cool:

Henry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-04-2014 07:13
my mistake
Henry
got what was coming to them
sincerely,
Kent
btw: Brent nice response, total class,always my respect
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-04-2014 12:26
I think this twit is trolling!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-05-2014 18:16
Oh wow, this guy is a real gem. The Golden arm of all golden arms. Loved the comment, "hanging upside down off the scaffold". Scaffold, haha!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-06-2014 19:12
Another golden arm runs out of the hot air of self impotence...yea I spelled it correct.
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-04-2014 16:11 Edited 10-04-2014 23:18
@ Brent:
I believe that there are many critical connections in heavy structural steel, and proper welding practices are important. But having worked in structural steel, I can honestly say that the reasons for weld failure are different from what many believe. The people welding on this stuff are usually lower paid, lower skilled, yahoos that aren't real welders. Many are iron workers who do "a little welding on the side," and many aren't even certified. These jobs are set-up for super high production, instead of super high quality, and the only thing the boss is concerned about is deposition rates. I consider most structural welding to be unimportant, only because it is unimportant to inspectors and supervision. If it was important, then you would be concerned about clean/dry rods, proper fit-ups, arc marks, removing rust/galvanize, quality welding machines, and proper bevel angles. This is the real reason you are seeing more structural weld failures. In piping, they ARE concerned about this stuff!

I'm sorry if I seem arrogant, but the QA's that I have to deal with every day are usually quite different from the inspectors on this forum. They often nit-pick the finest detail of everything I do. They are API's, and they are 1000 times more arrogant than me......But is it really arrogance? There are obvious reasons why there are far fewer pipe failures.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-04-2014 18:49
You don't seem arrogant-- anybody with a bit of justified arrogance would have walked away from the test you originally complained about, and, been better informed about the company and the test beforehand.
Ignorant, and seemingly fixated on your unrecognized expertise...YES!
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-04-2014 19:36
agree
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-08-2014 17:04
Well said, Brent.  I wonder how much of this entire forum is taken up with petty crap like that?  Not exactly the purpose of the thing, eh?
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-04-2014 12:34
Hack, seeing  how I am unfamiliar with all the fancy high alloy stuff you do, could you explain how they put silicon on tig rod and just what does it do?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-04-2014 21:48
"Silicone"...
1) It's put on the rods to slicken'em up so they'll feed better!
2) Shoulda "ungrinded" that there bevel and then "regrinded" it.
Woof... What a lively thread this has turned into.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-05-2014 13:39
Pfft.

I've been welding exotics like Inconel, Hastelloy, Haynes, Waspelloy and others since 1986, and I can tell you with the authority of a guy that helped write the code book; that there is no dark and esoteric knowledge required for a man to weld this stuff.   Just follow the directions that somebody smarter than you put in writing.

Claiming Inconel welding may impress the guys at the bar, but your "special" skill will not take you too far here.... Sorry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-06-2014 00:02
thank you,
Lawrence
well put
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-06-2014 13:40
Hack,
You would have been better off admitting you overreacted.
You really have no clue as to the level of expertise of many in this room.
It is quite astonishing and on a very high level in many industries.
- - By Paladin (***) Date 10-05-2014 02:03
Hacksaw,
Some of these people have been condescending, disrespectful, and downright mean towards you.

I can't say that I disagree with everyone.

If  you were to post some pictures of you work, pictures of you welds on hastelloy,
it might go a long way to help those naysayers see a more favorable picture of your position.

I'm ignorant of lots of stuff. That is one reason I peruse this forum.

So, I don't know but am curious.
How much does a joint of hastelloy cost?  What lengths does it come in?

Fair enough?
Floyd
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-05-2014 05:22
Floyd, so far, everything he works on costs more than someone's worth:razz::razz:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2014 18:10
I've been pretty silent on this thread. It was clear it wasn't going to go too far.

But, what the heck, it is time to add a few pennies worth of humor to this thread:

If I am half the welder I think I am, I wouldn't have to take another test. After all, all they have to do is read the self proclamations’ written on the out house door!

The Forum is still the most entertaining place I know of to visit. It's like walking into a bar and listening to everyone swap lies and tails. Except, once in a while someone step a little heavy on someone else's tail and the fireworks begins. It is funny how the names of the few might change, but the attitude of the few never does. A new handle might work for a while, but it only lasts a short while. Funny how they never use their real name and hide behind anonymity.

Brent is an accomplished professional that takes pride in his work and is quick to offer sound advice. He isn't afraid to use his name and will stand to be counted when others wither. What else can be asked of a man? How many of us can claim the same? I'm happy to say I know him and I call him a friend.

Al
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-06-2014 00:12
Al,
well put
thank you
Brent is a good person
sincerely,
Kent
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-05-2014 19:40
It seems that I have offended people with my comments :sad:....But honestly, none of these rude, arrogant, comments came from my own brain :lol:. These are all things that I have heard API's say to welders, on the job. If you walk into his office and tell him that you have been welding on lightweight structural iron, he's going to call you a garbage can welder, and slam the door in your face.:lol::lol::lol::lol: Most don't even recognize the CWI as anything. It gets ugly in the piping business sometimes. But you won't have to deal with any of it, as long as you stay in the small shops and weld on truck racks and boat trailers....If you can make any money doing it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-05-2014 23:00
Hacksaw,

Hope you read this. 

Look, all other things aside, I respect all the various welding people on here for what they do, INCLUDING YOU.  Pipe is no easier than anything else.  I just decided it wasn't what I wanted to do.  How many of us have tried to weld 20 ga because, I'm a welder, I can do that, and blown it totally?  I have.  I'll admit it.  Had to learn some new things to accomplish it with any quality.

Notice too, that the intent of what I said infers that we are all arrogant.  Aren't any of us who really put ourselves into this profession and try to be good and 'think' we are among the best.  Some even think they ARE the best.  So be it.  We are proud of our abilities and what we do.  With good reason.  America and the world is built by us.  From pipe below ground, to high rises a thousand feet above ground.  From space shuttles to submarines.  From micro-chips to nuclear reactors.  From PLAIN CARBON JUNK IRON to EXOTIC METALS. 

You are right, many of us often form opinions from things we hear from others around us.  We also develop vocabulary based upon what we are subjected to day in and day out.  And inspectors are no different from the welders in forming opinions that their particular phase of the industry is the best and they are the best at it.  Oh if it were only so.  Fact is we are all still learning and trying to keep food on the table.  We like to brag and make sure we are better than the rest. 

It is sadly true of all of us.  You are not worse than me and we all need to work together.  But some things break my straw and send me over the edge and some of the things you said did so. 

Now, small shops?  Maybe you should check out what I actually have been doing myself, not my shop for the past several years.  I work on projects like Hospitals, high rises, 2 mil gal spherical water tanks, etc.  Currently, I am a TPI in a shop that is international and has 1000's of employees with 4 shops just in AZ working a project that will be over the top in scope.

As to making any money on the truck racks... the shop was making 200-300 per year of them with only 1 guy on it at over $300 each.  Most average about $4-500.  And you can do that in less than half a day and spend the rest of the day doing handrail, equipment repair, structural steel, etc.  You are right, low skill, good place for college kids to start out though.  Learn layout, measuring, angles, use power equipment that the school didn't have, and get fair at welding.  You seem stuck on the pictures on my website.  That little shop generated my family some very good income for almost 20 years.  With a small community as the base of operations.  If you want to keep on attacking what you perceive as my line of work then go for it...I'm proud of what I have done in this community putting people with 'LOW' skills to work supporting their families and learning how to improve and go on to other parts of the country where they could make some real money doing larger projects.

But while we had others working the shop here we have been providing for ourselves with the inspections work around the country.  And, enjoying every minute of it.  Isn't that the real object?  Do what you love, enjoy doing it, and share knowledge and experience with others?  And hopefully provide well for our families doing what we love. 

Well, I've run full circle on this one.  Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-06-2014 19:15
Brent as always you are a "class act" my friend!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-08-2014 03:18 Edited 10-08-2014 03:21
Don't weld on boat trailers or truck racks, don't work in a small shop. My shop is my brand new truck. API and AWS certified with my own company. My bread and butter is on the AWS side though, make more money doing it than welding pipe. Apparently in your world AWS only builds handrails, truck racks and in the shops/rig welders free time he fixes lawnmower decks. That's fine by me, you keep imagining the AWS world just like that and I'll keep working on the stuff I'm working on making killer money. You said, "If you can make any money doing it". I know guys who do what I do that charge up to $2000 PER DAY! Sounds like good money to me.

You came here to gripe and like most of us here we do that upon occasion. Reading your initial post I just can't imagine walking into the environment you claim to have entered and not questioning everything about it. Rusty filler rod, bevel angle, what code am I testing to. Farm Code welding with farm code bevel angle and farm code filler rod would get a farm code weld. You sound so knowledgeable, spouting fancy names for metal pipe, boasting about failing tests because a gnat took a dumper in your weld and they picked it up on super duper ultra high definition mega gamma ray inspection and yet you don't ask the "Derelict Inspector" about the rusty filler metal? You skip over the whole improper bevel angle question? On top of that you don't even ask what code you are supposed to weld to?

Then you come here and blast guys who have been here for years who try to help out who probably read your initial post asking the same questions in their heads as I did. In short, you failed to ask the questions or question the "inspector" on what was made available and point that out, "this don't look like a 37.5 degree bevel", "why is this filler metal all rusty? Been storing it in the swimming pool?" "what code am I welding to? Off the hip code? In your inflated ego, glory world you found out that you are not as smart as you thought you were and you failed a test. Now in order to keep yourself in your enlightened and elevated world you need to find that scape goat, the "Derelict Inspector" who let you test using rusty filler metal, improperly beveled pipe and equipment used to weld the Ark. You failed a test, big deal, what are they going to do, take away your birthday? Blaming somebody else for failing to recognize or point out the issues prior to the test is your fault.

My advise, quit welding right now. Obama still has two and a half years in the White House and you seem to have a talent for blaming others as he does. I'm sure he could find a cabinet position for you immediately.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2014 02:29 Edited 10-06-2014 02:31
While it isn't unique to welders, skilled men are proud of their work and they are proud of their accomplishments. However, to degrade another's craftsmanship is a sign of ignorance. No man's work is worth is less than another's unless he places less values his own work than he places on an others.

To belittle an other's work is to belittle one's self. It demonstrates the lack of self confidence and doubt in one's own skill.

It doesn't matter what vocation one practices as long as the work is done with pride and a sense of accomplishment.

If you truly believe the work performed by an other person is of little value, you do not understand the importance each individual plays in a society. Without society, very few of the skills we hold dear have much meaning. Of what value is the silversmith if society places no value on silver? If there is no society, there is little need for power plants, automobiles, aircraft, roads, or pipelines, oil wells or the skills required to design, build, operate, or maintain them. We would still be searching for our food and rubbing sticks together to cook what we could find. Society is a large living mechanism where each of us play an important roll. While the roll played by the individual is small, it is important to the health and well being of the society as a whole.

One of my many mentors once told me, "Every weld bead is your signature." I've tried to keep that in mind every time I make a weld. I am as proud of that one weld bead as I am of my own name.

Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-06-2014 07:09 Edited 10-06-2014 07:17
Sage words of advice son... As usual Al, Brent, Lawrence - you all hit the nail right on the head...:roll::lol::yell::twisted::wink::cool:

"It seems that I have offended people with my comments :sad:....But honestly, none of these rude, arrogant, comments came from my own brain :lol:. These are all things that I have heard API's say to welders, on the job. If you walk into his office and tell him that you have been welding on lightweight structural iron, he's going to call you a garbage can welder, and slam the door in your face.:lol::lol::lol::lol: Most don't even recognize the CWI as anything. It gets ugly in the piping business sometimes. But you won't have to deal with any of it, as long as you stay in the small shops and weld on truck racks and boat trailers....If you can make any money doing it."

However, whichever way any of us choose to respond to his comments still won't change the way this person's ignorance, narcissistic attitude, or his hypocritical arrogance lessen anytime soon and that's the sad part of this thread... The boy just doesn't get it and probably never will... Sure I would like to think positive and hopeful that one day he might have an epiphany of some sort and consider the merits of practicing humility as well as showing respect towards other folks he may consider strangers...

The fact is that more than likely he's going to remain the same as long as he maintains the attitude he currently has towards anyone who schools him to correct it and offers an olive branch like Brent did... And we all saw how he responded to that! Maybe one day when he's all alone, because no one wants to put up with anymore of his foolishness, he may consider changing his attitude and maybe not... I for one hope he does yet realistically speaking, the chances of the happening are about the same as my chances of actually winning the lotto power ball style!:roll::fat::slim::razz::lol::yell::twisted::yell::grin::wink::cool: Oh and hack! Weldcome to the AWS Welding forum!:grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::wink::cool:

Respectfully for the most part,
Henry - It's my real name.:wink:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2014 11:17
"But honestly, none of these rude, arrogant, comments came from my own brain"

Interesting. I suggest it sums up almost everything he has to offer.

Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-06-2014 16:10
The most important lesson I ever learned in the course of 27 years working this trade was given me by a man forced to work past a reasonable age of retirement.  He told me, "Precision teaches Humility".

Those words are inscribed on my primary tool box as a personal credo.  They dictate my entire approach, methodology and modus operandi.  They are a silent whisper every time the hood comes down and the lights go out.  I am mind full of them at the start of every challenging step of a job.  I am grateful to have received them.

To this day, all these years later, I still wish there was a way to thank that old guy for passing on such insight.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-06-2014 19:27
yojimbo, this is not directed at you, I just replied here because it was the last post in the chain at the time of this writing.

Wow!...this thread really took off and has a life of it's own. Seems the new fella who messed up his entrance test coupon doesn't know us very well and has more experience than the whole lot of us. Oh well, I'm sure if he hangs around we can all pick up and learn some of these golden nuggets in due time.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-07-2014 03:54 Edited 10-07-2014 03:57
Jon,
unlike hacksaw
most are to share knowledge
share what we know, and have the respect of our peers
or in my case to get told I am wrong:eek::wink::surprised::lol:
sincerely,
Kent
btw my real name and the town I live in.....drop by for a visit
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 04:01
Gentlemen,

I'm going to ask a big favor of all who are or may be participating in this thread:

Please, let's give Hacksaw a break now. 

We have hit him pretty hard after some comments that set some of us off and some perceived personal attacks back at us because we don't do exactly the kind of work he does (at least as far as he knows).

As Shawn just said, we have all been there.  Either a test, equipment break down, health issues, and any other reason we have been turned down on a job or fired from a job.  And it is easy to look everywhere but at ourselves (even knowing that God is in total and final control I can and do often make some kind of excuse and even blame others for my own failures; why don't we blame God?  Some do, not wise.). 

Hacksaw, I hope you see our various points of view.  I hope you learned something from the test as well as this thread.  I hope you find the employment you are looking for and do well. 

I think we need to let it drop so we don't lose potential newbies, as SJ who posted during all of this, especially students who may come here and go 'what on earth?  Do I really need to be around those people?  They will crucify me!' 

It has been said that Christians are terrible about shooting their own wounded instead of following the admonitions of the Apostle Paul who told us to restore a fallen brother.  Did we just do that?  Hopefully, our criticism will be taken constructively and not destructively by Hacksaw. 

Let's move on.  Build up, educate, share, encourage, and improve.   Rebuke when needed, but not to destroy; always to improve.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Derelict Inspectors Giving Welding Tests
1 2 Previous Next