Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Professional Development
- - By jshot (*) Date 12-11-2014 02:37
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place a welding instructor could receive some professional development? I have been to Hobart and Lincoln but would like to attend something a little closer to NC. I am really interested in finding like a week course for tig pipe or something advanced. Any suggestions for any type of courses or organizations no matter where it may be located would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2014 04:03
They just had the instructors institute in Miami back at the first of August.  They do it every year...AWS that is. 

There should be many other avenues for you to get PDH's or CEU's.  I will have to see what else AWS offers.  I would bet that some of the online courses of metallurgy and other topics in the AWO section of the AWS Website would be acceptable as well.  The next FabTech, next November, will be in Chicago.  There will be many courses there that I know are great for teachers. 

Hopefully some of the instructors on this forum will chime in and give you more ideas.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,   Brent
Parent - - By jshot (*) Date 12-13-2014 01:11
Thank you Brent. I will check those out. I attended Fabtech this year and took WPS training. Also, some funds just came available today for me to receive a third party cert, but it has to relate to advanced manufacturing in welding, such as equipment operation cert, or a cert that directly supports a student. I'm already a CWI/CWE. I don't know of many else to fulfill that requirement for an actual certification. I really want to locate some courses in pipe fitting or welding chrome-molly, monel, sanitary stainless, etc. but can't find any short courses for professional development. Any help would be great.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-13-2014 01:26 Edited 12-13-2014 01:28
Jason,

I took it twice, the first year they offered it it really missed the mark.  The second year was vastly improved but I still think it needs to be a two day course on WPS's. 

Anyway, someone like Hobart might be your best bet for certifications like that.  Check them out anyway. 

Hopefully Allen, Lawrence, Gerald, Blaster, or one of the other instructors who hang around here will come along with more accurate help.

Got myself in trouble now.  Naming names you know. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS, HEY JOHN, if you see this, would it be better off down under 'Education'?  Just wondering.  Usually these guys would answer sooner than this.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-14-2014 01:20 Edited 12-15-2014 22:46
Hello jshot,

Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC has or had an excellent pipe welding program... In fact there are three in NC that are available for you to inquire about further... Here's the link from the AWS Website:

http://www.aws.org/w/e/school.html?mv_arg=11122

Guilford Tech Community College in Jamestown is another one:

http://www.aws.org/w/e/school.html?mv_arg=10306

Nash Community College in Rocky Mount:

http://www.aws.org/w/e/school.html?mv_arg=8621

Note: these three schools above teach all three SENSE levels so it's a good bet that  they have some really talented instructors who can help you refine your pipe welding skills...

Here's a complete list of SENSE schools in North Carolina and the three listed above are from this list:

http://www.aws.org/w/e/search_results.html?state=NC&browse=1&sense=1&category=

Finally, if you want to checkout a school just outside of North Carolina, you can use the AWS Welding School Locator:

http://www.aws.org/w/e/

Another idea would be to see if there are any local AWS sections that have their meeting in the UA (Pipefitter's) training center like the one we used in Pittsburgh, PA for our meetings... If you talk to the head man there and they end up liking you, they may let you come in for a few days to learn the sort of pipe you're talking about... The local Boilermaker's training facilities are another place to see if they can let you squeeze in to train for a few days but not much more than 2 weeks from what I was told... Now these last 2 suggestions are not guaranteed to let you train there but, it doesn't hurt to know some folks affiliated with the training facilities especially through the AWS section meetings in order to try this option...

In any event, I hope you find what you're looking for because there aren't many schools that offer refresher pipe welding classes that are short term... They always try to sign you up for the whole kit and kaboodle so make sure they understand exactly what you're looking for... Are you already practicing? If not then you would be better off if you did! Best of luck to you!.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-14-2014 01:45
Here's another school that offers pipe welding classes that's not a community college but they do train quite a few welder candidates, and have previously trained people that currently are working @ those two new Nuclear power plants nearby and they're located in South Carolina... Here's the link:

http://www.arclabs.com/specialty-classes.php

Their Home page:

http://www.arclabs.com/

They're located in: Piedmont, SC, Charleston, SC and Columbia, SC, and our new location in Portsmouth, VA.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-15-2014 12:08
Jason,

I would take a hard look at the 3 NC campuses that Arc Labs has to offer.

Talk to all three and see which one has the instructor who specializes in the specifics you are interested in for your skill upgrade.

I've been looking into them myself recently and have heard good reports.  They appear to have a strong focus on the local economies and the specific skills required to serve in that region.

Please do report back on what you find and if you decide to use them, how it went :)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2014 16:24
I have often wondered why instructors do not organize a bit better. We all have varying types of skills and experiences. I recently suggested our local section try to network instructors in the area but not really sure how it went over. Even went as far as building a "Welding Instructors" forum to allow for semi-private discussions of topics related to welding education.  But that too, not much interest.

At the Educational Conference that AWS had this past year in Indiana, I brought the topic up. Not much interest.

If you are close to Northeast Tennessee, I have considered hosting an educational session here for instructors to share ideas, develop skills, and discuss training methods.  Haven't went forward with it yet. Things are starting a little slow here so I better not bring up anything new to those I work for.

However, If you are ever in the Greeneville Tn area, look me up.

Gerald Austin
6626600162 Call or Text
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-18-2014 18:12
Great idea Gerald!
Count me in.

Tim Gary
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-19-2014 09:34
Hello Gerald, when I get back to a real computer and can tap into some of my resources I'd like to comment on this topic further. Out of town right now and limited on technology. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-30-2014 16:47
Allan, Thanks. I look forward to it !

Have a great day.

Gerald
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-31-2014 03:18
Hello Gerald, you have heard me yap before about Washington state and how we have a welding instructors association. I sincerely believe that there is strength in numbers and that re-inventing the wheel is a waste of time. It "DOES" make total sense for those of us that are involved in welder training and associated skills to work together to provide our services to one another in the interest of the promotion and professionalism that we all attempt to achieve for our students as we move forward in our respective programs.

Unfortunately, I see stumbling blocks and challenges in making this happen as well as an abundance of opportunities. Many things are at work here from my perspective: You have some individuals who sincerely believe that they want to be a part of this industry and are driven from a true interest and drive to achieve success based on their genuine interests. Others see the financial rewards and may or may not realize what all is entailed to achieve and capitalize on their abilities relative to the trade. Once you have determined who is interested and why, then you have to provide a means. Identification is really where it is at and the root of so much of the considerations of success for individuals who consider welding and associated trades for a career. Young and old alike have to have an avenue to experience a trade (Welding of course!) if we can provide that then at least a lot of folks will actually realize if this is a possibility for them. Unfortunately and in a very well documented manner, we have seen how our K-12 system has handled this, we have multiple generations that don't see the value or importance of a trade because they were never taught any different.  Hence, the reason that we have many of the shortages of skilled craftspeople that we do and also the reason that craftspeople don't garner the same respect in society that they afford white-collar workers.

The means is wide sweeping, this can occur through formal education, ie., high school vocation programs or skills centers, college level tech, trade, or vocational schools, private technical, vocational, or trade schools, union apprenticeship training centers, and likely a number of others that I haven't thought of. You can also have those folks who will learn strictly from working their way up the ranks in various shops and other technical/vocational settings as they perform various types of work. You have another group of folks who will learn while in the various branches of the military and other governmental agencies. Unfortunately, however you cut this, $$$$ drives opportunities, especially in education. In any training scenario, facility, institution, or otherwise that provides training there is competition for these $$$'s. In some instances I do believe that schools feel that they are in competition with one another for these dollars and in most cases they are. So, this can cause difficulties in communication and cooperation. I am at a community college, we are funded through the state, portions are federal $$"s, still others are local monies, both from tuition and donation of goods and services. Much of the time I believe that education at the state level only looks at specific figures tied to specific columns of expenditures. Where this is misleading is with regard to geographical and industry based results, you can show that school A has lots of graduates with great grades and other accolades and yet their graduates don't show up on the states tax-roles. Why, because maybe they go out-of-state and go to work. Does this mean that the program isn't providing education as it "should be" in the states eyes? and how do you judge that? School B has lots of graduates with great grades and similar accolades yet their students don't find work.... at least not locally. But if they go where the work is they do go to work and are successful. But, they don't want to move and even though they've been told at the onset of their education that this is the reality they choose otherwise. Has the school failed? or have the students/candidates simply ignored what they were originally told?

The reason for much of what I have mentioned here is relative to the survival of training programs, you not only have to consider how you will operate your program and where the funding will come from, you have to consider the federal level, the state level, the regional level, and the local level of this as well as grants and any other source of monies that can be gotten to assist you. Many folks who operate programs similar to yours or within the same system are wary that if they provide you with information that puts "you" out ahead in the game that it will damage "their" chances for success and survival. This reasoning applies to almost everyone to one degree or another, you will see this relative to a private facility, union training centers, pretty much everybody. If my memory serves me correctly training facilities both private and union apprenticeship related are tied to outside dollars (federal, state) in one form or another as well. Due to this sort of structure we (community college, voc-technical, etc. state operated programs) are often looked down by some apprenticeship programs. The unions in our particular area have been really good about embracing a "we're in it together attitude", others (schools) that I have had conversations with are not so fortunate.

More to the point of how conversations between our program and others have been conducted in past and recent years: Snail mail and the phone system was the mode in the infancy of the welding instructors association. With the internet coming on board, emails and setting up bi-annual conferences for members was the way that we all got together. We have maintained the bi-annual conference structure which includes one conference specifically for welding instructors and the other one generally coinciding with a state-wide, WAOE (Washington Association of Educators) conference which is comprised of vocational educators from all of the states community, vocational, and technical colleges and all forms of instruction not just welding. We have also experimented with an internet system referred to as "Wiggio", that has fizzled a bit and most recently "Facebook" was discussed as a vehicle for promotion and communication. I noticed that you went with "Linked-in" and I joined. I haven't had any conversations with my other com padres in the state here to promote that, but I will.

I know that you and others have seen some of the posts that I have included on the forum here in regard to the sharing of experiences, techniques, and other information. There have also been other instructors within my system that have posted as well. I hope that more individuals from "elsewhere" will get on the bandwagon and start sharing and networking information for the betterment of what we can bring forward to current and future generations. Thanks so much for the topic Gerald and for all that you share globally. Sorry to the OP for hi-jacking his thread although some of this topic will very possibly apply to his original questions. Also apologize if this post is a bit dis-jointed and doesn't "flow". Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2015 12:09
Hello Allan, hope all is well with you. Sorry it took awhile for me to follow up on this great response. Your comments are great and bring to light some different things to consider. My desire has been to teach and I am relatively new to the process compared to my work experience. And of course, I enjoy sharing what little things I have gathered over the years with others. The problem is that I may not have gathered all I need too be as effective as I need to be. I think sharing and networking among instructors would be a great way for me to grow personally and hopefully help others.  I sometimes have my "head in the sand" when it comes to the "business side" of teaching.

The stumbling blocks you speak of are so true but I think the "financial" one may also be related to good ole pride and ego. Maybe some people don't want to be helped or to share their ideas for various reasons. Or mmaybe some people don't want to known for sharing their ideas or needing help from others. Maybe there is a concern that supervisors will change opinions, or look for others to do their job.

Regardless of the reason, I think and hope there are individuals who desire to help the skills and abilities of others interested in welding develop in a way better than theirs did.

I attended a conference last summer in Indiana and mentioned organizing instructors. No response or follow up. ( I don't discount the possibility that many shied away from me because sometime I do talk too much about some subjects). But thse people were there ! So I would think they are interested in growing as instructors. Sure the conferences and vendor "show and tells" are great. But I think there is something to be said for peer to peer social learning. Yet it doesn't seem to have "caught on" here for organized subjects related to teaching. The "Instructors Institute" heading has NO activity. I don't even know what the "Instructors Institute"is. 

You and many others have contributed tremendous amounts of wealth and knowledge on this forum. I think this style of forum is unmatched for social learning. Facebook, Linked in and others pale in comparison to this forum and others related to welding.  I have recently tried to spend less time here and more on some of the newer platforms to see how useful they were. And as far as useful information, nothing beats this !  But as instructors, I think there are so many things to discuss, that an entire website could be devoted to it. (But thats another topic).

My weak point in the teaching world is awareness of many of the things you discuss in your reply and I could make quite a few posts/question about many of the things you wrote. Much food for thought.

I wanted to write more but need to get to the shop.

Of course the FLOW is great in the post. My brain operates more like the water splashed from a dixie cup by a dropped bowling ball!

Thank you so much for your time and advice over the years.

have a great day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-08-2015 16:00
Hello again Gerald, and thank you for replying. With reference to getting the ball rolling on networking with others: many people by nature are very comfortable in their own little bubble (I certainly suffer from that a lot of the time), it takes an energetic and driven individual to get the ball rolling on starting up and following through with organizing a group that is willing to discuss, participate in, and perpetuate an idea such as yours. I know that you are such an individual and you are not like everyone else, so don't give up and don't get discouraged.

When I have pondered many of the methods and avenues that can be used to expand and improve the quality and breadth of our own program over here I often come back to what already exist and how I and others can emulate or expand upon it. Take for instance your local AWS chapter, I believe that most chapters are made up of a host of people of a large variety of different backgrounds. When these folks get together their conversations will cover a wide variety of topics, concerns, and ideas. Anyone who is in attendance can come away with amazing amounts of information and they can also share their own perspectives and experiences to expand the awareness of others in attendance. This is one example of a structure that is proven and works.

With that in mind you can likely start off with something to work from when you consider your program. Look to owners, supervisors, and workers attached to the industries in your area that can have an impact on the future of your students (jobs). Try to include all of this group of folks into the business of your teaching, ie., arrange tours for your students of outside facilities, invite this group of people to come to your school to give presentations and even demonstrations in your shop if they are willing. If there are any K-12 system schools with students who are interested in the trades invite them to come to your shop, particularly when your students are busy with their various welding/fabrication tasks. If possible have them shadow and participate in some of your student's tasks (this can be a bit challenging from a liability and proper attire standpoint but with bit of forethought it can be overcome, sending out release waivers ahead of time for parental signatures and also specifying proper shop attire, having safety glasses and some extra welding jackets and hoods).

My partner was instrumental in setting up an annual welding competition for local high schools. To date we have had as many as 11 or 12 schools at one time I believe and this is in it's 8th year currently. Attempt to get the college promotional arm on board with whatever you are doing, exposure, exposure, exposure! When you start becoming recognized throughout the community and the area you will find that people will start coming to you instead of you having to always go to seek them out. Then the process takes on a team tact instead of just an individual endeavor. Where I am moving with all of this is in the manner of a building block, get a cornerstone in place and it's much easier to build from a position such as that. Once your reputation and name has gotten out you may find that contacts that you are making will reply, instead of ignore, and before you know it you will likely see much better levels of participation and the infectious energy that you expend will be shared by others and reciprocated.

Well I gotta run for now Gerald, just like you, we're getting ready to fire up for another day of fun, games, and excitement in the ole weld shop. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-11-2015 01:58
Hey Allan,

I appreciate your response. I have only been to a couple of the local meetings so kinda getting my feet wet there. Though I do probably speak up a little more freely than someone who is "new" should. I have yet to get too deeply involved with industry here but my point about organizing is more of an idea I had for a larger scale. The "Instructors Institute" section of the forum really got my attention when it was put in the forum but I really never did find out what it was about.

The local scene where I am is still being developed on my side and I will keep your information in my mind as I move forward here.

Have a great day and thanks so much for your information. I may have more to post about the subject.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-09-2015 19:58 Edited 01-09-2015 20:18
Hi Gerald,

Had a little bit more time available so I figured that I'd bang out a few more thoughts to hopefully address and provide more information.

I read your post again and noticed a very important point that in my eyes is the premise and value of group meetings or conversations between instructors of like programs and even programs on slightly different levels (college/vocational/trades school/apprenticeship to high school/middle school and any other combination that we might run into).

One point that you made was the ability to see vendor displays, take industry tours, and in general have your eyes opened up to things that you may not currently be familiar with. I do believe that this is of great importance no matter who you are and even if your specific area of coverage doesn't involve this type of industry. Reasoning: likely not all of your students will remain in your immediate service area and if you have their confidence and can share these other areas of the trade and relevant information, they will be better informed and likely more confident as they move forward with their own lives and careers.

Reading what you wrote I believe that you even more importantly spoke to the interaction that can occur between ourselves and our peers. I have attended instructor conferences for the past 23 years. In all of that time I have learned more usable information that I could apply to our program than any other venue or available resource, internal or external to our campus, from the other instructors in attendance. This is to say that your statement, in my eyes, is absolutely valid and definitely important. Some of the best relief from the struggles that we as instructors face in our programs is the ability to realize that we are not the only ones. There are an abundance of others who face similar challenges and being able to speak with them often times leads to the ability to resolve our own issues in ways that we hadn't considered.

So once again Gerald, don't give up and certainly brainstorm and continue to reach out to others. When you finally break down some of the barriers that you feel you are facing you may find that it's like opening a flood gate and to follow a quote: "build it and they will come". Gotta run, best regards, Allan

Edit: I should also mention that on more than one occasion I have personally contacted other instructors in other areas of our state and been able to send a student of ours in to see that instructor and they have helped with housing questions, job questions, and a lot of other details that job seekers don't generally have the ability to find out about if they have to go it on their own in a new area. I have also made contact with students from other areas/schools and reciprocated. Another benefit to knowing and being familiar with instructors that are located elsewhere is being aware of their program structure and possibly the specialties that they teach so that when these sorts of scenarios come about you can feel confident in assisting someone (of course, first a call/email to the instructor if the student shows up on their own so you have some awareness of the situation).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Professional Development