Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What's In Your Email Account ?
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 01-06-2015 18:36 Edited 11-20-2015 20:07
Ladies and Gentlemen,
      Am member of www.spe.org and have backup on my email account. Note following. The Society of Petroleum Engineers has given me a new email account len@spemail.org in view of not being able to make my old one of over 10 years weld@spemail.org free of being “hacked” . My weld@spemail.org Society of Petroleum Engineers 972-952-9393 email account was down 22 to 29 December and partial since ! Email access restored at 9:51 AM Greenwich Connecticut time 29 December after ones arrived with "We steal your email !" and not accessible by me after January 6 2015 11AM New York Time .  I am a plus 20 year long member of the AWS and SPE . The SPE email system with my account weld@spemail.org was reorganized with 100 MB to a GB capacity and outside contractor. It appears to be compromised by criminals. If you have a bank account a share of stock an executive who has say is most likely a Greenwich Connecticut resident. Your views and questions appreciated. I suggest looking into your email "provider' etc. .
Sincerely
Len Andersen   SPE 20 years   len@lenandersen.com
914-536-7101 / 914-237-7689 (H) / 800-428-4801 USA
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $~1400 per year Caller
Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )

www.lenandersen.com

PS -
http://lenandersen.com/personal_info/resume.html
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2015 13:53
Often times Email Accounts aren't hacked, They are "spoofed". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing  One way to minimize that is to try to avoid having a text version of your email address online anywhere.

This will prevent and or eliminate spoofing that is generated by Web-bots searching the internet for the @ symbol or the word "at".

That will not prevent your email from having problems.

Another contributing factor is replying to or opening any kind of "unusual" email and especially responding to it. When you do, your email address becomes a valid target.

Here is a site that actually lists one of my old ones http://www.email-format.com/d/weldinginspectionsvcs.com/ for a domain I am no longer in control of and an add

I would just be wary of posting my email address if I was concerned with security issues. I have multiple domains so whenever I want to post an email address online, I can make up a new email address, post it in that location only, and see what kind of junk comes to that address.

If you look at http://www.email-format.com/d/spemail.org/ your old one isn't t here but that doesn't mean it isn't floating around somewhere else. If you scroll over the right side of the list, you will see options to validate addresses or mark them as bad. I think the only reason for this is for people to gather email addresses for spam and phishing mail.

Also notice at the top of the page the ability to download as a spreadsheet.  A great way to bulk send messages.

Have a good day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 01-09-2015 17:26
pipewelder_1999 and all ,
     Good info but we gotten so email orientated that when I went to pickup my Post Office mail POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1240 per year Caller
Box GPO New York, New York  / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office USA )  there was twenty individuals apparently brothers and sister in front of the counter and five such as postal employees and about twenty remarks on me indicating as a group they were stealing / tampering with my post office mail. The mail was mostly bills and not exciting. Fifty Christmas cards sent and only one received from a cousin in Arizona. The goons on and criminals as government employees with relatives working with them would not make sense without a farce email integrity / security . Hope there is more "views" out there.
Len
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2015 19:01
Len,
What does "snail mail" which originates from the postal system of the USA have to do with one's e mail account? Are you implying that the postal workers in Manhattan might have stolen your e mail addresses? I don't understand how the two are connected.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By suvorov115 Date 10-24-2019 21:25
[deleted]
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What's In Your Email Account ?