Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Completed my first consulting gig
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-26-2015 15:20
What a blast,

I just got home from my first, of what I hope will be many, consulting opportunities. Through no attempt on my own to secure work of this type I was given the opportunity, through a previous connection, to go to a manufacturer and retrain the welding staff. They had changed over their welding process from GMAW to FCAW and received training from a source that was improperly trained. They went from .035 hardwire to .045 flux core. They were taught to push the puddle in a structural application. They were given a very narrow set of parameters for ipms of wire speed and voltage, with no concern for amperage. This was presented as a WPS. The problems that I encountered with all of this were many.

1.This WPS did not indicate whether it was Prequalified or Qualified by testing. It was one of those kinds of recipes for a weld that says this is all that you can do--no changes aloud. Because everything that they weld is a Prequalified condition, I gave them the manufacturers recommendations documentation, so that for the different positions and thicknesses of materials they could make necessary tweeks.

2. Many weld failures and appearance problems precipitated their desire to have someone come in to evaluate their program. The first thing I noticed about their method of welding was that they were pushing the puddle instead of dragging it. Some of their weld failures were incomplete fusion to the root of their fillet welds. The throat had a beautiful concave appearance, but lacked proper thickness compared to leg lengths. I showed them how to drag the puddle along, so that filling the throat was automatic, they loved it. They could see what they were doing better and they liked it right away, no real new learning curve.

3. Cold starts, tie ins and under filled craters: Many of the welds That I witnessed were intermittent fillet welds. This is a formula for disaster if you are not trained in the technique for starting a weld and terminating a weld. They just needed to see how from somebody that could talk it as well as do it. No real learning curve there just a minor adjustment in their technique.

4. I tested their amperage and voltage on each machine to show them that there would be a difference because of the several differing lengths and sizes of lead they had on their machines. All were Miller 302s of the same vintage, so they were of the impression that the same settings on each machine would produce the same results. There was a one volt difference from machine #1 to #2 and a Volt and a half to machine #3. Very confusing, to the person that is trained to use exactly the same setting from one machine to the next with out considering voltage drop.

5. I noticed a new Victor torch, like nothing I had seen before, so of course I had to try it. It had a modern ergonomic handle, very nice to hold. I lit it up and noticed very quickly that it was almost clean but the blow stream was not perfectly round so I cleaned it. I lit it up again and noticed that it was burning behind the nut that seats the tip. I thought that it might be loose so I got a wrench to tighten it and discovered that it was already so tight that damage may have been done to the seat. I took the tip out and examined it and found nothing. But they had another tip that they were using in the torch which had a flat spot on it that may have slightly damaged the seat. I recommended that they keep their tips in the original containers when not in the torch and to examine them carefully before using, and to get the torch head reseated.

All of these thing are second nature to me because of years of learning. this experience was without equal and most exhilarating. To be able to take what I have learned and to be able to make a difference in another's career is more than I ever thought come my way. I showed up at the job site dressed as a welder, overalls and tools in hand. I think it made a positive impression on the guys. I was just a more experienced welder who came to share rather than a hired gun know-it-all.

Just wanted share my good experience with you all.

Dennis
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 04:45
Sound like a good deal for them. On that Victor Torch, I have a small one with an "Ergonomic" handle. It too leaked at the tip. Brand new torch, brand new tip.

Have a good day.

Gerald
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-27-2015 11:41
Glad you could help them out and possibly a new career in the future.
Tyrone
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-27-2015 17:00
With all semi-automatic welding processes, the wire feed speed and the electrode extension (CTOD term is used by some manufacturers) determines the welding current. I typically place black tape over the ammeter when trying to break welders of the habit of setting their equipment using welding current.

Many welders are unaware of the importance of electrode extension until they are shown how it affects welding current. It is easy enough to demonstrate. Set the arc voltage and wire feed speed per the manufacturer's recommendation. Then start welding with a short electrode extension and slowly extend the electrode extension as move the gun along the joint. As the electrode extension is increased, the welding current decreases steadily until one can no longer maintain the arc.

It is interesting that many WPSs fail to even list the electrode extension as a welding variable. As a result, welders often have no appreciation for it. The result is, the welders change the electrode extension during the course of the day (usually after break or lunch) and blame the poor results on the machine.

You never mentioned what welding standard the contractor was working to. Remember, not all welding standards recognize prequalified WPSs.

I'm glad to hear your client was happy with the improvements you helped them make.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Completed my first consulting gig