Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Joints at 90 degree angles
- - By Ter Date 08-27-2004 02:22
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I needed some help with this for a while so I finally decided to come to forums for help with this problem. Is this a normal problem? First off, I have this Cambell Hausfeld flux core wire feed welder. CH came out with this kit to convert the welder to a mig, so I ordered it. I think it's nice. Nicer looking welds than the flux core. I can weld a strait pass on a flat surface normally. Ok now when ever I try welding that angle, it just won't weld right. What it does is when I pull the trigger and the wire feeds and sparks against the metal, there will be like this flame and I can see the wire burning up before it can even tough the metal. I'll hold the trigger and move the tip around and the wire will keep burning out then in then out. Then there will be this blob of melted wire that's collecting at the end of the wire that's burning up. What's going on?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-27-2004 11:43
Welcome to the forum,
Post some of your parameters (ie. size of your CH machine/amps/volts/wirefeed speed/gas flow in cfh/type of gas(es)/ joint config(groove,fillets?)position orientation(flat, horz, vert?)/ type of base materials(carbon steel A36?) and thicknesses/ wire designation (ER70S-6?) and size(.030" , .035", .045"?) /etc...etc...)
Sounds like one or more of these are out of whack.
A few things to think about...GMAW is a little fussier about cleanliness than FCAW is. You'll notice that mill scale plays a big part in this. FCAW will dig (penetration into base material) and clean better than GMAW, it will float a lot out in the slag. You'll find your GMAW filler just laying on top looking like a pretty weld but without any penetration if you are not watching what you are doing. If you are getting a lot of silicon on top of your GMAW beads, likely you are not cleaning enough mill scale off. It should produce a bead with almost nothing to chip off, unlike FCAW which has a thick layer of slag.
I suspect your wirespeed(amp)/volt relationship is your problem with the wire balling up. The "flame" you see is most likely the plasma stream carring your melted filler across the arc into the puddle, it kinda looks like a inverted icecream cone shape. Once you get your puddle started you need to keep your wire feeding out on the leading third of the puddle. If the puddle is running out ahead of you, then you are likely to have problems with penetration.

post back with more of your info,
John Wright
Parent - - By Ter Date 08-28-2004 04:16
My CH machine has a 115v power plug. It's rated at 80 amps. My wire speeds are from 0-10. I usually get best results at 4 and 4 1/2. I'm using argon. Should be using co2 but argon is what I have. About the gas flow, I know that the regulator is set at 30psi. I'm welding steel square pipes that is in a T configuration. The pipe is 1/8 in thick. I'm trying to weld the corner section where the pipe touches the perpendicular pipe. I'm using .035 steel wire.
Parent - By hankj (*) Date 08-29-2004 00:22
I'm not sure of the position you are trying to weld in. Are you trying to run a bead verticaly?

Also, you need to change your gas to either CO2 or 75% Ar/25% CO2 (C-25) for MIG. You should be using a flowmeter that measures output in cubic feet per hour rather than pounds per square inch. The correct setting is ~20CFH. The process does not work well outdoors in any breeze greater tha 5 MPH.

You are pushing an 80 amp machine pretty hard with .035 solid wire and MIG on .125" stock. You may have better luck with some .024, and ultimately may have to go back to the flux-core wire to get the penetration you need.

Hank
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-29-2004 03:19
My machine will act kind of like that if the wire is sticking in the tip or in the liner.
Bill
Parent - - By phred Date 08-29-2004 07:32
MIG won't work correctly with straight argon when welding steel.
Parent - By Ter Date 08-30-2004 07:30
Thanks. This stuff is great info. I'll try using smaller wire and probably some other time I'll get co2. About the output of the gas, I meant it was 30cfh. Not 30psi.

About what I'm welding, I can't seem to explain what it is. Don't know what terms to use for you guys. Let me see if I can show you. Here:

http://www.makeitmetal.com/DesGdln/CH14_weld.htm

Scroll down to the third diagram. It's in the right column and the one in the middle. That's pretty much the same as what I'm trying to do. It seems that whenever I try to weld where there's two sides around, it won't want to do it, like if the two sides are bunching up the gas together and getting in the way of the weld. I don't know.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Joints at 90 degree angles