Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boy Scout Merit Badge day last week.
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-06-2015 18:41
Just wanted to post here about the Merit Badge program that I was fortunate enough to help with last week. I have a longer description on one of my websites talking about what we did but I wanted to share a couple of things with those interested.

1) I'm glad I didn't have to compete with Tim Gary for this job, I would still be in Mississippi.
2) I have only taught Community College Workforce Training courses which is great, but teaching kids or young men and women almost ready to enter the workforce is something I desire.
3) It's a great joy to see someone enjoy doing something that you have enjoyed for 35 years. Even if only for a day!
4) If you want to talk about what we did and would like to talk, my cell number is 660-0162.. You can call or text. The area code is 662

From a Wordpress Page I wrote early this AM. (They gave me steroids for a numb leg, so I was up late and woke up early, hopped up on drugs and welding stuff in my head)

I have been fairly idle in teaching since getting here a few months back and this day really encouraged me. The welding trade has been very good to me for over 35 years. My 1st introduction was in 9th grade shop. Then from the 10th grade on, I was blessed with being able to learn at Kingsbury Vocation Center in Memphis for 3 hours a day. My instructor was Mr. Ed Hemmingway. He was a person that really got my interest in the trade stirred up (that and maybe a little firebug in me). He often challenged me to learn and do more than was required. I ate it up. Point is, do not reduce the value of vocational education because you think everyone MUST go to college. I was able to work for 2x the minimum wage as a 15 year old. 39.5 hours a week. I WAS RICH! But not nearly as rich as I was this day watching these boys weld.

If you enjoy sharing welding, I think this is a great chance. Contact your local Council or Troop.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-06-2015 20:22
Real good stuff there Gerald, keep on "workin' the magic" with all of them folks. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-07-2015 04:41
Great to work with the kids... they really benefit from it!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-09-2015 12:20
I may have gotten more out of  it than they did. But it was all a good time.

Have a great day.

Gerald
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boy Scout Merit Badge day last week.