Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / best weld mapping program
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 03-29-2010 17:39
Anyone out there, can tell me if there are using a weld mapping program. I see one in this months product literature review. Its called weld project by Computer Engineering. I downloaded the freebees, but I haven't looked at it yet. I'm wondering if any CWI's out there have a nice easy program. Something I can just scan my print into and lay out my weld map over it. Currently Im doing every thing by hand and I would like to get it done a lot more efficently.
Parent - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 03-30-2010 22:59
I suggest you keep on doing it by hand, otherwise your manager would "hire" a PC soon to do the QC job.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-31-2010 00:56
I use Microsoft Visio to create weld drawings.  I can open a drawing, do a screen print and past it into a Visio sketch.  Once it is in Visio, you can add any notes or info you need, such as weld symbols, weld numbers, WPS numbers, a table or whatever you want to add.
Parent - By fit2inspect (**) Date 03-31-2010 14:20
Thank you, I will look into it today, and see how it works out for me.
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-30-2010 01:11
boy would'nt that be nice. please share if anyone finds such an animal  Joe
Parent - - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-10-2015 13:22
Hi all

Sorry to drag this old thread up. Smart Welding Manager is a cloud-based weld mapping software for production welding management . It is my product and sorry if it this post sounds like an unabashed form of advertising.

Weld mapping techniques have been discussed in these forums  for long and as aproject manager  I have grappled with the most cost effective technique to use to satisfy code requirements and some stringent client specifications. After having had a go at developing intranet based welding management systems and implementing them successfully at the companies I had worked for, I have now produced a commercial software application. Please check out www.smartweldingmanager.com/features

With this online software application, I have provided ways to do weld mapping the conventional way i.e. using a database  and linking the weld number with welders, WPS, materials, inspections, NDT, etc and ALSO by using a drawing annotation tool which allows the user to mark the location of the weld on the drawing. There is an Android app (iOS version to be released in a month or two) for tablet devices that allows use of the software in the field and also do the weld mapping (drawing annotation) with finger input.

Once again apologize for the self promotion, but as a unique tool, some of you may find it useful. Bouquets and brickbats are always welcome.

K S Adityan
www.smartweldingmanager.com
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2015 16:29
Like any software you purchase, the user is locked in to the method the programmer believes is the best solution or approach to solve a problem. While I admit I have not looked at this one, I usually prefer to develop a welding documentation system that does what I want it to do.

I will give this a look. It will not be the first time I've been proven wrong. Let's see what this program can do before I bury both feet in my open mouth.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-10-2015 23:15
Al

I would be glad to setup a free trial for you and then you can decide if it suits you or not. Please get in touch with me through the contact form in the website.

Regards
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-16-2015 04:04
Hey Al,

I know what you are talking about as far as the "What I want it to do". When I created the database for tracking welds for an orbital welding company, I thought what I charged didn't need to cover all the time since I could sell it to someone else. Then the someone else came along and I realized it was easier to just create another program. All in all, return was probably on the order of $8.00 an hour.

Because so many quality systems require different data to be recorded, its difficult to make an all inclusive program. When they are simple, with few relationships across data, then they can be pretty easy.

Building your own is kinda fun though. I am hoping to get back into it if I ever get back up to speed with something different than "Access" which is still a powerful tool in my opinion.

Here http://weldinginstructors.org/ga/?p=76 is a page I wrote about some of my "programming" stuff over the years. There is a link there for one of the Access Databases I wrote a few years ago.  Love to hear your thoughts on this "desktop" type program vs the web application.

The link on that page includes the licensed "Runtime" version of MS Access so it is quite large. If you have Access 2007 or later, I can attach the Access file itself. It is less than 1MB.

Have a good day.

Gerald

Have a good day.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-16-2015 04:16
Interesting stuff Gerald.

I don't have Access on this computer, but thanks for the offer.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2015 18:03
I was going to suggest that you might want to put this under 'downloads'.  Seems like it would be a better fit there.  It isn't free but it looks reasonably priced. 

I personally have not had need for such a program with my limited amounts of weld tracking required.  On the surface it looks good and the free trial may help move it along.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-10-2015 23:16
Hi Brent

It is an online software (cloud-based software as a service application). So, there are no downloads.

Regards
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2015 02:20
I realize that, but as you were even concerned as well as myself with the "advertising" aspect on the forum, I thought that might be a better place to put a post about your services than here on one of the regular welding discussion sections.  That or up in 'for sale'.  Problem with that section is the speed that it moves so that you may not get much notice before it wasn't on the first page viewed by members here. 

We do tend to be hesitant about advertising on the forum and especially links.  But your post that included a web site address that one had to enter for themselves makes it an effort that expresses interest on the part of the person.

Thank you for monitoring and responding, oh, and

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Hopefully some of the regulars who deal with the types of jobs that utilize weld mapping on a regular basis will give your program a look and let you know what they think.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-11-2015 06:52
1K per yr for a cloud based app? On top of that there's an annual 1/4K subscription fee to boot? That's going to be a tough sale because most folks who are buying an app want to have the app, and will be hesitant to risk all of their important project data to a cloud that may or may be accessible on any given day...

I would also have to ask what type of redundancies you have for not only access, but also security features as well? That also needs to be spelled out also... The concept is an excellent one although the accessibility guarantees are questionable @ best... Another question for me to even consider this would be to know who else is using it and how successful they have been by switching from their system to yours?

One comment I have about your website is that I notice that you have illustrations of how the pages would look and that should be expected but, how come they can't be enlarged to view in better detail? I mean it's not like you're revealing your application code language to the public if you understand what I mean and that kind of rubbed me the wrong way... Now this is just my opinion as well as a suggestion, but I think you should offer a restricted version of your free trial as a download that no longer is functional after a given set of days to be used because people want to download it right away, or at the very least when they want to and not wait until you get around to answering their requests for a free trial...

I apologize if I read as if I'm trying to discredit your application because that is not my intent... However, based on what I have seen so far there's some fine tuning in your marketing approach that needs to be adjusted and like I said before that I do like the concept... It's just that I'm not feeling the love by it being a cloud based app that really is questionable on how well you have developed guaranteed access and security to it 24/7/365... And as Brent did before I also Welcome you to the World's Greatest Welding Forum of the AWS! And I wish you the best.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-12-2015 01:52
Hi Henry

Thank you. This kind of frank feedback is hard to get. I do appreciate it.

First of all, it is hard to replicate the technology we have used in developing this application in a local server environment. We can create a version with less features that runs in local environments, but that is not a priority at the moment, but not to be ignored entirely.

The "app" is not a light version of what you get to download from the stores. It is a term we all have to get used to as very powerful programs can now be run on internet based servers. Creating a local environment for such programs would be and is getting cost prohibitive. I wouldn't want to go into details about our program, but it is not something you can use with your ipad or tablets. We have a companion app in Google Play store that talks to the server and offers "mobility" for the program i.e. to use it in the field.

We host with Heroku, owned by Sales Force in their data center in US. Security, redundancy, etc are well taken care of. We have just started marketing the program and some big name companies in the middle east have shown interest. Not yet at a stage to show references at our website.

It is not our intention to keep the screen shots to a low quality. I guess it is the limitation of the WordPress theme we are using. I will try and create a slideshow. There is a presentation in YouTube that should be detailed enough.

We will certainly look at offering trial accounts, without having to write to us first. Because it is an industry specific application, we didn't think this would be an issue.

Every major project management program is going the cloud way and in future, local installations will be few and far between. Well, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc are all cloud-based.

In terms of costs, it is just an indication in our website. As we are offering software as a service (SaaS), the costs are really based on number of users per month, data storage, etc. We are very competitively priced for an industry specific application compared to what Microsoft, Sales Force, Xero and the likes of similar SaaS providers charge.

Thank you for welcoming me to the AWS forum and the opportunity to present my views.

Regards
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-11-2015 04:08
I'd love to see it. I have built some custom programs in the past for Power and Pharmaceutical projects and would love to see a "commercial" application. I filled out the demo request on the form.

Here is a link to a video showing the one I made. (Remember I'm a welder) but am hoping to learn something besides VB and MS Access. But a long way to go.

http://youtu.be/H-i94dkb4KI
Parent - - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-12-2015 01:56
Thank you. I have received the request. Will set up a trial account & email you the details today.

I have seen the video. It is quite good. You may like to watch the introductory video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXwTfN9ihA

Regards
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-13-2015 12:40
I have just logged in am pretty impressed just from the aspect of capabilities for a cloud bases resource. I haven't looked at the costs etc but just as a welder/wannabe programmer its pretty cool. Probably not the kind of review to do much for anyone, but its worth looking around for a bit.

I know many are reluctant regarding cloud based "programs/apps" but I think there is some great potential. A thought on cloud based vs desktop, If you don't own the source code, you don't really have "control" over the program. There is a great advantage to your programs travelling with you no matter where you go with a username/password as opposed to being tied to a physical machine.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-13-2015 13:02
I did try to add an annotation to a drawing and it has been saving for 15 minutes. Is this product in use or still under development or are there restrictions on the login accounts?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2015 21:05
That's what happens when you praise something that still has some glitches to be worked out that you're not fully aware of Gerald... With respect to a desktop, who has one of those lugging around with them? laptops or tablets with USB ports are what's out there these days... Now that's portability... Do you know that servers do crash and more often these days because of the online piracy that's rampant these days? I have to respectfully disagree that an internet only based app is the way to go...

Now if they can design the program application so that in case of the server being downed for whatever reason, the app can still be functional on one's laptop or tablet or desktop, then we have a winner but until then, the redundancies to me are not adequate to rely on a cloud based app no matter how well their security is because security is can always be defeated which results in corrupted systems. Like I said previously, I do like the concept but, the way it is designed makes it vulnerable to rely on especially when a local server goes down that's feeding you their internet connection as opposed to having a hard copy of the app which can then be validated officially with the cloud once the online access is restored....

This is a good app for larger companies that could easily justify the ongoing costs to run this software but, not for any smaller outfits where it may not be used on a regular basis and the cost of having access to it will be prohibitive for their margins and their bottom line... Now if they can organize a pricing scheme based on how much access time is used, then it may be something to expand their marketing and sales potential for sure.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-14-2015 02:47
Hi Henry

The issue could be with the version of Internet Explorer (I may be wrong) than our product. The product has been tested extensively and unfortunately, we cannot make it work with some older versions of IE.

The servers have a guaranteed and proven up time of 99.9% and good luck to those who try and hack it with the security features. Local servers are far more vulnerable to attacks comparatively.

We are working on an offline version of the tablet app that will let the users work where there is no internet connectivity and sync when there is one. We are hoping to release it in about 6 weeks along with our iOS app.

In terms of the costs, we are far cheaper than the comparable product in the market - at less than the cost of a cup of coffee per (working) day per user. Actually, this product would give good advantage to small businesses as they can save on (clerical) labor by distributing work.

Regards
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2015 04:25
Everything still has "glitches" in it Henry. Often times they are the result of one setting, one tool, one file, one program, or other minor detail. The largest software companies in the world continue to release updates for program that they have had ownership of for 20+ years. Praise in my opinion is well warranted. When I look at the overall effectiveness of this forum (An internet App using a database fed by Html forms), then I become impressed with the effectiveness of this type of "program".

A standalone computer, not EVER connected to the internet is extremely stable. But of course if its not working correctly, it will probably need to be "connected" soon. As with all systems of security, there are flaws. That "security" risk could be the possibility of me dropping my laptop off of a scaffold with 3 days of inspection data on it including the images or one single user transposing a id number with a name on his "custom built standalone spreadsheet" and archiving the data, and some other individual trying to figure out whether the Name is wrong for all the related data, or the ID is wrong.

The program is probably hosted on a regular Windows/Linux server and I am pretty sure redundancy is available. But not sure. I do understand your concerns though. One thing that I feel should be required is the ability to export ALL raw data at any time by any admin users with full mapping information to allow the owners of the data to reconstruct any information previously recorded.

I am hoping the $1000.00 setup and 250 annual is for an unlimited (within reason) number of users/projects. If that is a per seat cost, then I'm not a fan either. But people have noo problem putting out 5-10k for autodesk software doing things they could do with opensource or lower end products. If it costs more, it must be better.

I'd love to build a program like this for documenting individual welder training tasks completed under the requirements of a standardized program to allow users to verify individuals stated credentials. Including video or documented "certification".   Just a thing in my head.  Have a good night Henry.

Gerald.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2015 06:36 Edited 02-14-2015 06:47
Gerald,

Quote; "The program is probably hosted on a regular Windows/Linux server and I am pretty sure redundancy is available. But not sure. I do understand your concerns though. One thing that I feel should be required is the ability to export ALL raw data at any time by any admin users with full mapping information to allow the owners of the data to reconstruct any information previously recorded."

Thank you for understanding my concerns regarding this app as it is currently offered... I would also like to point out that it doesn't matter how well their security is with a Windows based application is involved becaus as you already know there will be vulnerabilities to take advantage of and the "Black" hacker are becoming increasingly capable of infiltrating just about anywhere they choose these days...

And Linux is now increasingly becoming hackable although it requires the level of expertise that one average single individual "Black" hacker will have too much of a hard time doing so... But a team of hackers can... And their main server may have redundancies that are truly robust but if the  the IP servers go down then it doesn't matter because if there's no access to the WWW = inaccessible no matter how one slices it... IMHO, the only way to fix this vulnerability of the internet is to throw away the old and update with new, more secure internet and that will take a herculean effort in order to accomplish such a virtual infaststructure project as the World Wide Web....

Finally, if this OP who is new to our forum is going to "blatantly advertise" (his own words) in here, He better know how to swim with the sharks - irrespective of his offers of apology.:eek::roll::grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::smile::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2015 06:49
Oh I gotcha on the sharks. I have posted quite a few links here myself. Luckily you guys know I am tender :)

I recently received an email regarding the pricing. Who knows, maybe I need to spruce up my MS Access applications and post a link or two myself :). Mama needs some new shoes!!!!

Have a good night. I mistakenly took a steroid late with a cup of coffee (dark roast) with a handful of Dark Chocolate Covered Cranberries. Who knows, I make make a new internet tonight--or  get started on it and leave it unfinished like so many other things :)

Have a good one.

Gerald
Parent - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-14-2015 21:54
Henry

I posted here as our product is unique and beneficial, especially to this community. No, certainly not afraid of swimming with the sharks. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Regards
Parent - - By SmartWeld (*) Date 02-14-2015 02:30
Hi

Thanks for trying out and appreciate your comments. The glitch could be with the browser and the version of the browser you are running rather than with our system.

Could I get you to try again using Google Chrome (if you didn't use it previously) and if the problem repeats, press Ctrl+Shift+i and email me a screenshot?

Regards
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2015 03:56
I went back and made a few entries with Chrome and everything worked fine. Besides a few things, it pretty much does what I did with the Access Application I made.  Much less complicated than what I did and obviously some added benefit being a web based database (depending on your views of course).

Some incredible similarities to the access application I built before. It was done for a construction company in the US for use at multiple sites. I am not sure how successful it was but I did do a search for it once and found it posted on someones resume :).

I think its a great idea but have not looked at the pricing. The ability to perform "real" programming is something I sometimes regret not developing to allow for sharing of some of the programs I have built with access.

Everything worked well and I can see it as a useful tool. Maybe a bit more customization for actual individual data importing (Drawing Indexes, Piping indexes, existing welder data, WPS's etc in CSV format)

If individual projects can be added yet separate from others and partial data imported then some some capabilities are increased.

Since there is a wide variation among companies as to how they document data related to welding, importing with field mapping can be nice too.

I think your on to something. Been studying up on php and mysql for a few weeks but by the time I get any good at it, there will be some better way and I will be too long disconnected from actually documenting welding data.

I am working on one now for tracking training activities related to welding training but still in Access/VBA.

Gonna go look at the "pricing" now.

Have a good day and thanks for sharing this. It has been a "dream" to do something like this but really didn't have the skillset.

Probably gonna share the link elsewhere .

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
- By cwipg25 (*) Date 02-17-2015 16:03 Edited 02-17-2015 23:23
I used to use TurboCAD. It is fairly cheap and easy to use. I taught myself on how to use it, but I had some AutoCAD background. It is good for isometric drawings. I haven't tried the 3D program.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / best weld mapping program