Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Dynasty 200DX Question
- - By kb (*) Date 08-29-2004 22:23
Hi all,
I've got the machine set up and it seems to be welding OK (HF tig on mild steel). When I turn the unit on, it begins by emmiting an odd buzzing sound that sort of ramps up to its final moderate intensity. When I establish the arc, the sound goes away until the arc is extinguished after which it returns. When I switch the unit off, the sound continues for a short time and then ramps down to quiet.

So my question, Is this normal? As I stated above it seems to be welding fine. This is my first experience with an inverter (and the welding store is closed on the weekend) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Bentz
KB Fabrications
Parent - - By kb (*) Date 08-30-2004 17:35
Update:
Talked to the folks at Miller this morning. This buzzing is a normal function of the "Auto-Line" (automatic connection of 120-460 VAC)feature of the Dynasty.

It is quite obnoxious as well as an annoyance but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Kevin Bentz
KB Fabrications
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2004 22:18

Kev.

I've had a few Dynasties and never ran into what you describe. What kind of power are you hooked into?

Did your explaination come from the salesperson who sold you the unit or from a real Miller tech?

If not a real tech, I would get a second opinion before too much warrenty time goes by.
Parent - By kb (*) Date 09-01-2004 03:02
The explanation came from a Miller Tech Service person who was very nice and willing to listen. I say that because when I initially turned the unit on I was taken aback by the sound it made and I turned the unit off and waited until Monday to call Miller direct. I described everything in detail to him and was assured that this was the "auto-line" feature doing its job. Whatever, I can get used to the noise.

All that said, the machine welds fine (on steel) but I am still fine tuning the AC on Al. I am used to a Lincoln Precision Tig 275 and have yet to be able to weld with the inverter as good as I can on the 275. I finally figured out the setting differences and will try again with the Miller set up like I usually use the Lincoln (as a place to start).

As far as power goes, I live out on 10 acres and get juice from a local co-op. I have no problem running my PT 275, my Cutmaster 50, my powermig 255, and my Champion compressor so I can't imagine why I would have a problem with the Miller (esp. w/the auto-line feature).

The guys at my local welding store are top notch and are setting up a meeting with the Miller rep in a couple of weeks so I will see how that goes before I have a final judgement. Ultimately I will get taken care of.

Kevin Bentz
KB Fabrications
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Dynasty 200DX Question