Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anti-Spatter Spray
- - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 03-04-2015 14:29
Any commendations for water soluble anti-spatter spray. With or without RP.
Cans of Aerosol cost $$$.

Thank You-
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-04-2015 14:45
Please forgive in advance for sounding churlish.

Unless there are specialty finish requirements in the customer requirements, I don't like the idea of "anti-spat" sprays and applications to base metals as a part of day to day best practices or detailed work instructions in a quality program for Mig welding..

Spatter that sticks to the work is typically an indicator that the GMAW process is in need of refinement.  Controlling the process by parameter control and technique in *most* cases should virtually eliminate spatter that sticks to the base metal in GMAW operations.

Now maybe you have special considerations and requirements...  In this case I would still stay clear of compressed cans for safety reasons.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-04-2015 16:04
Lawrence,
   Amen Brother, you're exactly right. Anti-Spatter soulutions do not solve, and actually exacerbate the root cause of the issue, which is unstable weld arcs.

However,

Jarhead1,
   When a spatter spray is necessary, I've found Walter products to be the top of the line.
http://www.walter.com/en_US/products/welding/anti-spatter

Tim
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-04-2015 18:56
I agree, however when working on robotic welding we found that sometimes due to other controlling process factors we couldn't always guarantee a spatter free weld and occasionally we would use anti spatter to reduce finishing time. more importantly anti-spatter was necessary for fixturing.

I just wanted to add loctite just came out with a very new and different anti spatter spray SF 7900 that is ceramic based  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAiZFf0Nk4  it dries into a slippery powdery like coating and honestly it's the best anti spatter spray I have ever used for GMAW guns and fixturing, It's definitely not a weld through anti spatter or meant for parts, but I swear by it for things like your weld table or your MIG gun.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2015 14:46
You might try 'search' for 'anti spatter'.

But, try this link:  https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=258860;hl=anti%5c-spatter

Some excellent advice in this thread about anti spatter from Henry. 

Check out the other threads as well though, some have comments about quality, some about application, some about costs. 

No personal exposure recently so can't give you a simple answer.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-05-2015 07:16
piss on the metal after a few beers, really cuts down on the spatter you need to remove mechanically.

BTW whats the official term??   I have seen both on "Anti" products.  I.E. splatter as well as spatter........I just call it buckshot or bb's as well as 97% of every other welder out there.  Lets get this terminology right and use science to solve all these welding problems.

yes your right
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2015 12:38
A3.0 Says:
Spatter. The particles expelled during fusion
welding that do not form a part of the weld.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-05-2015 11:55
Hey Jarhead,
We are in the middle of testing various water soluble anti-spatter sprays.

Testing includes applying the spray into the weld joint (just in case the welder "accidentally" applies it into the joint).  Getting lots of porosity in some cases.  Trying to pinpoint the cause.

Tyrone
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2015 12:38
Porosity sauce :)

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-05-2015 13:49
I'm with Lawrence here,

Regardless of the welder using tip dip or an anti-spatter spray/coating if it is in the weld joint it WILL often, if not almost always, produce porosity for the first few seconds of welding. 

Any anti-spatter I have used had to be carefully applied to areas 1" away from the weld and greater to assure the greatest possibility of a successful weld.  Besides, most are going to burn off so as to be of none effect on the trailing side of the weld and spatter will adhere to surfaces close to the weld anyway. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-05-2015 17:52
After having tried several brands and every "home remedy" from WD40 to Vaseline, The best out there is is good old fashioned carbon black from an acetylene torch. It even surpasses all nozzle dip recipes too.
FWIW, I have seen hundred year old "signatures" and arrows on cavern walls from carbide miners lamps.

Porosity sauce... love it!
Can't wait to use it.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-09-2015 18:29
I mentioned it elsewhere but we recently started using loctite SF7900 on our welding robots and fixturing. I have never seen anti spatter that works as well or lasts as long. It forms a hard ceramic shell that spatter bounces off.    It however is not at all recommended for putting on parts.
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 03-06-2015 18:59
Tyrone check-out.....
http://www.picochemical.com/featured_products/PICO%20WELD%20KOTE.pdf

Let me know how your testing goes - I will do the same....

Thanks
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-07-2015 16:50
I believe York makes an affordable non-aerosol. That said, I am 'blessed' with a lot of light guage scrap iron that I lay next to welds if I fear arc blow, etc. I can't stand oils from spatter sprays or that icky stuff used for heat sink. My work is usually easier when everything is clean.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anti-Spatter Spray