Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart 140 115V 20A/15A CSA rating?
- - By AWS_Guest Date 09-02-2004 23:59
Hi everybody,

I've been lurking on this board for a while reading up on the very helpful information on various welding equipment. Seems like there are some very knowledgeable people who are very helpful.

I'm now ready to buy some welding equipment to help me with some projects I had planned for a while now. So went about researching some of the different welders available at the local stores as well as on the internet that work on the 115V range (mainly because I do not have 220V service to the garage).

Anyway, during my search, I got confused on the voltage and amperage requirements. Here is example:

Hobart 140
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler140.html#

Rated Output @20% Duty
------------------------
90A and 19V DC
63A at 21V DC *CSA Rating*

Amps Input at rated load
------------------------
115V 20A
115V 15A *CSA Rating*.

The question is, what is this CSA rating and if I live in Canada, which numbers should I be looking at when I need to check my breaker panel to see if I have the required breaker?

Oh, and why are the CSA ratings different from the other rating?

Thanks.
Chris.
Parent - - By Arcandflash (**) Date 09-03-2004 02:29
Interesting. My only guess is that CSA considers Canadian houses to be typically wired with only 15A circuits at 120V. In the US wiring with #12 wire and 20A breakers is not uncommon from what I've seen posted in various forums.
There is nothing to stop you from installing a #12 wire circuit with a 20A breaker however this should have a 20A receptacle. In fact due to requirements of ground-fault devices being required near sinks 20A circuits in kitchens are now becoming normal rather than the split 15A receptacles at least in Ontario.

Suggest you give your local Hobart dealer a call if you don't get a better answer here.
Parent - By AWS_Guest Date 09-03-2004 17:28
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the quick response.

If anyone else has any comments on this, please feel free to respond.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart 140 115V 20A/15A CSA rating?