Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper labels on tests
- - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 03-18-2015 17:52
wondering if there is a proper way to label test plates for root/face bend and for fillet welds on plate. I've been looking in ASME 9, and I cant seem to find anything specifying labels on test plates.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2015 19:15
Label for what Landon?

If you are referring to welder's name (ID), process, position, etc, I generally follow this example: BB, 472758, FCAW-S, vert.  I also log all their information on a notepad: Employer/company, name, address, date tested, welding parameters, take photo to include on WPQR, contact info. 

With a record keeping system, you could just number the plates.  Anything to keep them properly identified with the correct person and test.

Now, I don't deal with ASME so my application is for mostly D1.1, D1.3, D1.4.  The code does not mandate a photo, just one of my personal touches on the cert, hard to argue ID with a photo placed on the front or back.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 03-18-2015 21:04
that's actually exactly what I meant just process, welder name, position etc.

thanks landon
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-18-2015 20:22
There is nothing specific in the codes however that does not mean its not a good idea. I assign a specific and unique number to each test. That test ID number is linked to all of the information to the test. It is located at a specific orientation and location.

I have a procedure written that is part of our quality control program developed for welder testing if you would like to look at it. Probably much more complicated and "wordy" than it needs to be but sometimes I'm that way.
Attachment: QCP10.4forreview.pdf (844k)
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-19-2015 12:13
I've found it useful to write on the test plate the information I want included in the lab report, and how I want the plate tested.
PQR or WPQR ID #
material / position
Welder name or stamp#
Transverse, longitudinal, cvn, side or face/root bend
Code or Spec.

This seems to work as a backup in case the details listed on the purchase order don't make it to the lab.
Its amazing how easy it is for a lab to screw up your order...

Tim
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-19-2015 13:37
So true for testing being sent to a lab.  Different if you are doing it yourself. 

Gerald's paperwork is sure detailed but I understand it in his situation.

Brent
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-20-2015 02:52
Landon

Try alpha-numeric code to eliminate the need to put all the infomation. The test specimen information is listed in the report associated with its alpha-nemeric code.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper labels on tests