Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 or API1104 for the seminar/exam
- - By willseals (*) Date 03-25-2015 12:49
I'm torned between the two. I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times. But I want to pass the exam. I'm somewhat familiar with both codes and presently in a facility working D1.1 but have more pipe knowledge. IF you had to take it all over again what code book would you take the exam on? What is the benefit and downfalls for each when taking the exam? Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-25-2015 13:17
The one you are most comfortable with and feel you will end up working the most to. 

When you consider that they have expanded API 1104 the past couple of editions and that D1.1 MOSTLY tests from Clause 2 -6 (only about 1/2 the book) there is really not that much difference.

If I had to do it over, I would stick with D1.1 which was my original.

Both have their own quirks, positive and negative. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-27-2015 03:02
I've taken both API 1104 and D1.1. I personally found D1.1 easier because I work with D1.1 and I am more familiar with it. D1.1 has an index that is indispensable when you are "clueless" and don't know where to find the answer to the question.

One issue I have with API is that there are too many grey areas where it is left to the company to determine how work is to be accomplished. An example: "filler metals should be protected from rapid changes in moisture content." My conclusion: store all SMAW electrodes underwater.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-27-2015 13:31
:lol: :lol: :eek:
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-27-2015 14:22
Al,
My conclusion: store all SMAW electrodes underwater.
I do that with my cellulose rod:eek::wink::roll::twisted::evil:
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 or API1104 for the seminar/exam