Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Moving
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-30-2015 17:01 Edited 03-30-2015 17:04
Next time I go to do this better be when I die.  What a chore.  After 18 years in the same house there is lots to go through.  Then, our new place is not available until the middle of April.  So, we have personal items in one storage facility, shop items in another, and items we wanted close at hand in/on three utility trailers and the 36' RV. 

The owner of the property where we rented space for the shop for a year after we sold our shop property but were not ready to close the business down yet, let us pull the trailers and RV back behind the shop for the next couple of weeks.  We had to be out today so made the final move over the weekend while I could be home from Flagstaff.  As I went to plug in the power for the RV I did not check the plug as it had been our shop for a year and I thought I knew what was there.  We had paid $10,000 to get the whole thing wired for our shop when we moved in.  Well, someone had put 220 3 phase power through to the 220 single phase plug and breaker.  Well, rephrase that, they hooked up the one leg that has 220 power through one wire, and 1- 110 leg and the ground.  So, when I turned the power on everything started popping.  Blew the microwave, a spare refrigerator, the converter (110v - 12v), some 110 lights (energy saving bulbs) and who knows what else. 

Praise the Lord no one was hurt and it does not appear any large ticket items were taken out.  Although the converter isn't cheap. 

Once we get the house, it needs a furnace, water heater, and pump. 

Does it never/ever stop?  I hope the location of this property really makes up for everything else.  It puts us closer to Phoenix and Flagstaff but leaves us close to business contacts we already have.  Closer to church, our steel and welding suppliers, and some shopping.  I know the 1500 sq ft commercial shop building is going to make it nice.  Plenty of room for welder certs, welding projects, and just about anything I want to do. 

Well, enough whining for now.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-30-2015 19:57
Brent.......I feel for you buddy..... Hate moving,only moved my shop once( from rental property to my "own " property and new building)...... Only really moved personally once ( from a rental co-op apartment to my "own " house in the country) ........ Now with my girls grown and gone ,my better half wants to move closer to civilization and a smaller home......( I just keep ignoring her).....I'd rather take a bloody nose and black eye beating then move!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-31-2015 15:41
Thanks Bob,

Been doing some research on my 3 phase power dilemma.  Between 230 single phase or 3 phase, I 'THINK' I have begun to get a fresh brain power surge to information long since buried.  Plus, it's bad enough chasing out my own power let alone power that others have had their hands on.

So, the 220 single and 3 phase power uses that the shop was wired to while I was there was done acceptable.  On some units you can use the 208 and 1- 120 legs because across any two legs you get 220 (or 230, 240 whatever).  Anyway, most of my equipment was either 3 phase or would run, and according to the electrician more economically, on the 208 and 120 legs.  We did have a problem with the bandsaw though because it needed two 120 wires coming in to split into the uses correctly. 

Well, the RV is the same as the bandsaw issue.  It must have 2- 120 lines, NOT a 208 and a 120.  So, when I plugged in and didn't even think about my 220 single phase having a high voltage leg, I blew the converter, microwave and some other items.  So, split off my job as early as I could yesterday and moved the breaker so it picked up 2- 120 lines for the 240 to the RV.  Got everything all wired up, and ....OOOHHH NO!  Now, my 120 outlets in the trailer have 220 coming through.  WHAT??  Well, I didn't test down the line far enough.  I had checked the plug in the shop and the first 25' 3 wire 220v cord.  But, the adapter cord that went from the 3 wire 220 to the 4 wire 220 that most large RV's and some other heavy equipment use was bad.  Molded ends on it.  But, instead of having 2- 120, 1- ground, and 1- neutral connections, it had 3- 120 and 1- ground connection.  So, now I had 120 going through the ground/neutral line as well as the standard line. 

Had to whack off the end of the manufactured/molded adapter and CORRECTLY wire up a 4 wire connector.  FINALLY.  Got the 120/220v power all correctly run to the trailer.  But, this unit has a certain amount of lights and equipment that run off of 12v.  AND, with the converter blown, the batteries aren't recharging and the new converter and repairman won't be out for a couple more days.  So, off to Wal-Mart we go, only place open at 9pm that I can find anything at, and buy a battery charger to keep the batteries charged so the RV is fully operational. 

So, after I get up to my job in Flagstaff this morning, my wife calls, NO HEAT, NO REFRIGERATOR, No.... "STOP!!  Go switch the tanks on the propane, I probably didn't turn both of them on when we set it up".  Thankfully, all is well. 

Hope your week is going better than mine.  Praise the Lord for all His Mercies.  We are still alive, safe, and have a roof over our heads.  Boy, are we spoiled!  The little things that cause us to panic, get frustrated, and want to throw in the towel. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-31-2015 21:05
Anyone that lives in an RV needs a Hughes Autoformer.
When you plug it into the power source it will tell you wether or not it's good to go BEFORE you plug in the RV. You'd be surprised how poor the wiring is in some RV parks.

And if the supply voltage is low (and many RV parks are at peak times) it boosts the voltage and of course lowers the amperage. That saves several of your appliances from a grueling and expensive death.

J
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2015 01:52
Thanks JT.  Do most of the RV dealers carry them or are they a special after market item?

Brent
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Moving