Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Old Welder Problem
- - By LWP135 Date 09-05-2004 16:50
I got a really old lincoln Weldanpower 135 last year and I'm having problems trying to start an arc with it. Could the leads be causing this problem? I'm not sure if they are as old as the welder, but it does have a new electrode holder. Also, would it help at all if I bake the rods a little bit beforehand because they are just sitting in the basement. It's an engine driven model and runs great just have trouble starting the arc. Thanks.
Parent - - By ajoy (**) Date 09-06-2004 05:08
Check the open circuit voltage of the power source, it should be at least 70 to 80 volts if you are using low hydrogen electrodes. Also, check what kind of electrodes are there with you. Do not bake them if they are cellulose coated.

The leads may not be a problem as you said that once the arc is struck, the machine works fine. You may infact check your electrode coating chamfer at the striking end. if the chamfer is not proper, you will not get a good start.

Parent - - By LWP135 Date 09-07-2004 01:06
Maybe I didn't make this clear from my original post but this is an engine driven welder so it doesn't draw from an outside source. I used 3/32 7018 rod and I can barely start an arc even with "new" rods and when the arc does start I can't maintain it for more than a fraction of a second. I plugged our mig welder into the outlets on the engine driven one and I can run that from the generator power no problem. These welding rods have been in an open box in our basement for a while so I don't know how that would effect them.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-07-2004 03:35
Some older machines don't have enough open circuit voltage to start low hydrogen rods. Old rods not properly stored are even harder. Try some 6011 or 6013 (I think you can get them in the home depot). Are the high idle rpm's about right? If you don't have a better way to check you could plug an electric clock into the ac outlet, it should keep about the same time as a clock plugged into the wall (within a second or two per minute would be fine).
Bill
Parent - By ajoy (**) Date 09-07-2004 04:40
E 7018 electrodes should be properly dried before use.

Bake them for at least 2 hours at 320 deg. c. and then try to weld with them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Old Welder Problem